Thursday, August 15, 2013

My Flippy Chippy farmhouse table!!!

Once upon a time - before I gingerly stepped into Bloglandia ( possibly even before I knew that it was possible for me to have a blog ) John and I came across this table in an antique shop window.

antique, farmhouse, table, expand, space saver

Every weekend, when we'd walk down to the market, we'd stop and stare at it - and maybe drool just a little bit.
It seemed so perfect with it's age-worn table top - gouges and all


It's chippy paint ( and trust me this was long before I ever heard the term " chippy " it was back in the day when I would have just assumed " chippy " meant happy


and it would have worked because just looking at this table made us both feel happy


Finally one weekend we decided to at least go in and ask how much it was.
I'm not sure if John gasped - but I recall that I most definitely did - this was a very expensive farmhouse table.  We thanked the shop owner and made our way down to the market - shaking our heads in amazement at the price - and agreeing that it would be nice except.......................
It was just too much.



Now this would be the point in most blogger's stories - where they say that one day, a month or so later they passed this shop and there it was - marked down at half price.
There is NO POINT IN THE STORY where this happened - except that we did in fact walk down about a month later and paid 1/2 the amount for it - AS IN LAYAWAY...............and went home thinking of all the wonderful places this could go.
Around that time I started redoing furniture.
And realized how ridiculous the price of this piece actually was - far far more ridiculous then we had even thought in the beginning.

expand, antique, farmhouse, table


So we called the shop to tell them we had changed our minds - and though we were willing to take a credit note on the money already put down on the item - we had changed our minds about taking the table itself.
The shop owner explained to us that this was not possible as she had refused 3 other customers who wanted it over the course of the past month ( remember we looked at this for months and months before purchasing it - this was clearly a strategic ploy on her part )
I told her that was great news - and that she could now let them know they could have it - to which she then replied they were from out of town ( ALL 3 OF THEM - in the middle of winter - prime tourist season for Montreal - NOT )


and so, long story short long - we purchased our Farm House table................and for the last 3 years it's found a place of honor in our living room - and our dining room - last night I put it in our teeny tiny kitchen for staging purposes - anything to make the kitchen look 3 inches than it actually is - is a good plan I think,

pink, carnations, miniature, table.

BUT - here's the real reason we  FLIPPED out over this table...............
( don't look at the inside of the drawers - it's been used for furniture supplies for the last year LOL )

flips, expands, seat 6

It flips around - and then opens up to become a table that could easily seat 6 people!!!


so you could actually eat in this teeny tiny kitchen


and then flip it back when dinner's over so that you can actually walk around the kitchen!!!!!!!

I gave it a fresh coat of white paint recently ( it was originally a cream color ) just a very light coat


And that's the story of my farmhouse table - we paid far too much for it - we're wiser now - BUT
it still makes us chippy HAPPY.

Gotta run now - John's going to be home any second - have to clear the dishes off that before he actually thinks supper is being contemplated tonight!!!

Have a good one all!
Hugs,

Sharing With

Rooted in Thyme                                        Common Ground                            French Country Cottage
Chase the Star                                           My Romantic Home                        Miss Mustard Seed
The Shabby Nest                                       Funky Junk Interior                         DIY Vintage Chic
The Style Sisters                                        Classy Clutter                                 It's Overflowing
Coastal Charm                                          Knick of Time                                 Not Just a Housewife           The Winthrop Chronicles                           Savvy Southern Style                      No Minimalist Here
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia              The Vintage Farmhouse                   I Gotta Create
Marty's Musings ( Homework Blog hop )  The Chicken Chick
Shabby Creek Cottage
I Should be Mopping the Floor

69 comments:

  1. Love your cute {not so} little table. I was curious about the hinges in the first pics, but it never entered my mind that it could be a fold out ! Happiness has no price ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't ask me why but I never would have thought John to fall in love with chippy paint! Darling table and versatile. I once owned an antique table that had a very small footprint when closed (about 30" deep and 42" wide but had two drop leaves that when opened made the table 72" long and perfect for a sofa table. I don't know what happened to that table. Must be at one of my sister's houses (or a niece or nephew). We NEVER get rid of furniture in our family. We just keep passing it from one member to another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An unexpected surprise, it would make me happy too. You've got to love the things sellers tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzan your table is just lovely. Can't put a price on happiness and it's certainly brought lots of that as you love it ENJOY x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jeanette - it's a keeper for sure ( would never get what we paid for it - so it has to be LOL )
      Have a lovely day
      XOXO

      Delete
  5. What a cute table. I love how it can be made bigger. Great buy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your chippy table is fabulous! Isn't it infuriating to know you're being lied to and not being able to do anything about it. That was BS for sure, but if you overpaid... at least it's for something you love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a nice table, I can see why you love it!
    Sometimes things are just worth paying for...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen a table like that before-I want one-love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  9. its a a great table, so handy as well, they don't make things like this anymore do they, so sad, sneaky sales woman, she wasn't very convincing was she.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Your farm table is awesome. I saw the hinges in one of the pictures and wondered....if! I know you love the chippy finish, as do i, but what a beautiful tabletop was hidden inside. Perhaps that was the reason for the higher price. I am so glad that this unique table makes you and John happy. It would certainly make me happy!
    As for the old hag, ahem, I mean woman. I would bet she had lots of one time customers. I hate it when someone lies to me and they can't even tell a good one.
    Have a blessed day, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so flippin cool... You are just flippin amazing! Don't make any flippin dinner... Go out to a flippin restaurant!

    xoxo
    -flippin andi

    ReplyDelete
  12. My heart stood still when this post came across my "to read" list. Suzan with a chippy white farmhouse table!?! No way! I fell in love immediately. I have only had two of these in my selling furniture life, but never found just the right one to keep. I guess if you have to pay an enormous price, you find a way to keep it. I have stored my china in the top cupboard - Chucks never expects dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  13. your table is so pretty and the extra seating space it offers is such a bonus especially in a small kitchen.
    rita

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well I have to admit, I probably would of paid too much for this table too. It's fabulous! I love how it opens up then folds down smaller. !!!
    :o)
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Suzan,
    I have to agree with Jeanette. If it makes you happy it is well worth it!!!! It is chippy and pretty love it.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  16. I heard Sir John Macdonald once sat at that table. Could've happened. Look to see if he carved his name in the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Suzan... I love your farmhouse table... it truly must have been meant to be... you are so cute, about the prime tourist season and all!... now I am sure it was still there waiting for you... it's fabulous!... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your farmhouse table is wonderful and it is worth the cost if you love it. I love the bouquet of flowers on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That table is wonderful! I know the feeling when you feel you've paid too much, but it really was meant to be yours. Some shop owners have crazy prices and then there are some that I have met that give great bargains! I am beginning to notice prices going up in antique/flea markets everywhere (including the Goodwill stores here) because buying vintage or used has become popular.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL- I think we have all made mistakes like that- expensive ones that we rue later. However, the good thing about YOUR piece is that you still LOVE it. My mistakes? NOT so lovable. Okay- off and running here- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great story and really was that lady serious......3 tourists in Montreal in the dead of winter wanted the table, HELLO!!! It is a really neat piece though. I can see why you love it so much.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been down that road before - paying too much for something because I loved it so much. And I gotta say I dislike dishonest people - what happened to great customer service??

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the table. I think it happened to all of us (or at least me) to pay too much for things before we knew it was possible to have wonderful stuff for nearly nothing! Did John get anything to eat tonight? I have some cat food left overs if he needs them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's gorgeous and is perfect for your home! I know you're proud of it! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful Suzann! We, we all go through what you said; 'paying more just caz we loved it at the time!!!' Well hon, if you still love it, than it was worth it! Love the dishes and bouquet of flowers is lovely.
    Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  26. Suzan, your table is wonderful. I can see why you wanted it so much and why it makes you happy to look at it. It seems some things just speak to us and are meant to be. Just be chippy and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn - so I guess I should " not worry - be chippy " lol
      XOXO

      Delete
  27. Paying too much for a piece you love and use is not a bad thing IMO. That table is glorious. Simply glorious. Now, paying too much for something chippy that you just 'lust' after, that's not glorious. Unless it's in the form of 'Chipp(y)indale' dancers. Did I just type that out loud?

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's an adorable little table. I've never seen one like it. It even made me feel happy looking at its pictures. It must exude good karma or something. It was worth it, whatever the price.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a lovely, entertaining and beautiful post. Your chippy table is beautiful, even if it was much more than you wanted to pay. The shop owner obviously wasn't going to let you off the hook...but it seems like it was probably for the best because that table is beautiful. My mouth dropped when you said it could turn into a table that could fit 6 people. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Some things are just worth the money, and this table is one of them. It's beautiful, Suzan, and you'd never tell it opens up that much.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah well I'm not sure it was worth the price - but I really do still love it, so there's that, lol
      Thanks Debbie!
      XOXO

      Delete
  31. You not only paid for a table, but for a good story behind it. It turned out to be a great table, and a great post for today, so you got your money's worth :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a clever little table, no wonder you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Deneen - it's the little table that " could " lol
      much love,
      xxx

      Delete
  33. One of my favorite posts of yours! I'm so happy you got it, loved it, and still use it. I'm not, however, thrilled you had to pay so much for it, or that the owner wasn't too easy to work with. She could've given y'all a deal or SOMETHING! Your pictures are perfect. The flowers are bee-youtiful.

    XOXO,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Allie!!!
    Thanks so much for the follow - coming by to follow back now!!!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  35. HI from your newest follower on GFC, pinterest, facebook and bloglovin! LOVE the farmhouse table. Found you over at Common Grounds linky party. I am having a linky party right now as well, so maybe you can stop by and link up some of your wonderful vintage beauties! Here is the link - everyone is invited!
    http://wonderfulathome.blogspot.com/2013/08/funday-sunday.html

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my goodness that is exactly what we are looking for! I would have paid the asking price we have been searching ebay and gumtree (our Craigslist) I almost got something similar but was out bid. It's amazing! Also a chippy here is what we call a carpenter lol

    ReplyDelete
  37. That is a seriously cute table and a great space saver. Love it Suzan....even if you paid too much!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love your table! I think it was so worth it! Come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2013/08/centerpiece-wednesday-88.html
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great story! And a great table! So it kind of worked out for you in the end. You got a 2 for 1 deal, right? Stop by my Friday's Five Features and link up this post (and others)! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com/2013/08/fridays-five-features-no-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a gorgeous table. Hope you were able to clear all the dishes off the table before John got home...lol

    ReplyDelete
  41. Gorgeous table!!!! You know how much I adore these!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Susan ... I also think the table is wonderful ... double drawers, folding top and all. I am sure all of us have felt that we paid too much for something and had 'buyers remorse'. I know I have many times. Maybe you can forget about how much it cost and just enjoy it. Just signed up to follow you on Blogloving.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Suzan
    I just LOVE that table :)
    and do not miss...

    SATURDAY SHOW OFF

    it is FUN :)
    WELCOME
    HÃ¥kan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Sometimes we just have to have something, no matter the price - and you will have this forever! Too bad the shop owner was so disagreeable :-( It is a lovely piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Absolutely love this, Suzan! I hope you'll link it up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  46. no matter the price, there are just some things that are worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra - I know I have to get over this LOL
      XOX

      Delete
  47. Oh, what a cute little table!
    Greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  48. This table is lovely and it's wonderful how it saves space by folding it away. Sometimes it's worth paying for something you really love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laura - sometimes it is I suppose ( have to keep telling myself that anyway LOL )
      xxx

      Delete
  49. I would have fallen in love with your charmer too, for sure!!! You actually bought two tables in one...how's that for rationalizing the higher price? :-))
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  50. Well, perhaps you were always paying in advance for the great story you could tell?!! It's a fabulous little table that holds lots of secrets...the story, the stuff and the extending possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Great table, must be worth it as you still have it. Too bad store person resulted to guilt to keep the money, not honest. Have you purchased anything else at that store since the table? Looks like a pretty neat table, love things like that, especially if a person has a small home to put it in. That table would be great for us as we have no eating area at our house, could put it in living room at holiday time. Want to sell it? Like it has some good storage. It's a cute table on top of it, love the style. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thanks - it's actually perfect for a small space - and we usually add it to the end of our dining room table at Christmas to allow us to seat 16 comfortably!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  53. I love the table. And the fact that it flips open to be bigger is great! Even if you paid too much, at least you love it. It would really stink if you got it home and decided it looked better in the store window!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love your story, Great table, thank you for sharing. Just found your blog and love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hi I am a new follower to your lovely blog (Via GFC)and it really feel pleasure meeting new awesome bloggers like you. Found you through Monday Mingling. Was busy last month due to sister's marriage so was not regular in blogging, but now will regular and waiting for your next post.

    my blog: wilsontom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  56. I love the chippy paint!! It just perfect.... :)


    hugs x Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo