Thursday, April 4, 2013

Dining room update!

Good morning!
I'm so closed to being finished at April's............and I'm going to miss her actually - what a great lady - full of personality and it's been fun working and chatting away.
When I first got the job, I thought - ughhh - I hate working at clients houses with them standing over my shoulder in a panic.  But I have to tell you - if you ever get an opportunity to work at an April's home - TAKE it - ( loving her girlfriend Barb too - Hi Barb )
Ok enough sucking up to the client ( she's reading this I know btw )

Sorry if you're tired of seeing the before - but it's so dramatic a change that I may just post the before and after once a week, every week, for as long as I blog ( I'm funny like that )



April says - Can I put things on top of it yet?
Suzan says - No no - not yet - you have to let the paint cure !!!

and then April went out and I ran around to find some things to stage it with lmao.................
she has the most amazing collection of hearts I've ever seen - really - I'm going to ask her if I can take pics of them all to show you guys ( and she'll say - yeah sure - because she's very accomodating like that, right April? )




Here's a photos of the " driftwood " technique...............and I completely forgot to photograph the steps as I went............what kind of a DIY blogger am I, you ask?  Not a very efficient one, obviously, but I'll do it on the weekend on a scrap piece of wood, promise. ( sometimes I break promises too but I promise this time I won't )


Ok - while I'm at it, do you want to see a sneak peak of the pedestal legs?
Here is the before - it was so dark that none of the details actually showed
AND they're packed with gorgeous details!


But baby - look at her now!


Wait till you see the buffet/hutch!!!
They're changing the wood shelves to glass - and installing lighting.............

When I  saw the handles my first impulse was to spraint them - those of you that follow know that word by now - they looked so dated and drab against the wood but April said she wanted to keep them the way they were............
The customer is always right?
100 % !!!  I have to give credit where credit is due - and that was such a good call.
You learn something every single day.................I won't be in such a hurry to spraint hardware any more,

BUT it was my idea to paint the pedestal legs Old White - the original plan was to paint them the same color as the table and I was RIGHT about that!
( You see ?  There's that little girl hopping up and down, saying " look at me, look at me " I need to compensate - I need to give myself credit - I need affirmation,  I need ................... to grow up basically - but I just can't see that happening any time soon, you? )


Ok - time to move my butt and get those chairs done - because now I am DYING to see them done too!
Have a great Thursday all

Sharing with!
Common Ground                                       French Country Cottage                         Craftionary
Shabby Art Boutique                                 Simple Home Life                                   One Artsy Mama
Becoming Martha ( Keep Calm and Link Up )                                                         Funky Junk Interiors
Miss Mustard Seed                                   My Romantic Home                               Classy Clutter
The Shabby Nest                                      Nifty Thrifty Things                                 I Heart Naptime
Pieced Pastimes                                        Knick of Time                                        Not Just a Housewife
Ginger Snap Crafts                                   Adorned from Above                             No Minimalist Here
Shabby Creek Cottage                             Daisy Cottage Designs                            Finding Fabulous
Miss Mustard Seed                                  I Heart Nap Time                                   Homemaker on a dime                          
Knick of Time                                          Beyond the Picket Fence                     
The Dedicated House\

63 comments:

  1. So very gorgeous! Glad you had a good client whose company you enjoyed~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG it is so beautiful-can't wait to see the finished items.
    When your good your good and when your funny your funny! Always look forward to reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful as usual... now don't forget your promise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks beautiful! I MUST know how you did the driftwood technique! I think that would be perfect for my dining room table that needs an overhaul!
    Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenna - actually it's nicest on the table! I will definitely post something on the weekend about the technique!
      Hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  5. Looks great ! I think paint really changes everything! My least favorite thing to do are the chairs! Very labor intensive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a buffet that is almost IDENTICAL! I painted it a Carolina blue color and faux grained the top. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Afternoon Suzan, What a difference you have made to your client's sideboard.....it looks fabulous.... and how wonderful to work for such a lovely client. You are really inspiring me to search for a "pot of paint" to change some of my furniture. Thank you so much for the inspiration.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daphne!
      I really lucked out with this customer - she's been a joy to work with -
      Get out and find your pot of paint ( it will not be under the rainbow - you'll have to actually get to a store LOL )
      Hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  8. April and Vladismir are probably want you to come live there and paint everything. I cannot wait to see how you created the driftwood look. Really, I cannot wait - I have a table I am painting gray and need something special for it. Suzan to rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suzan,
    Your transformations are beautiful. April is a lucky girl to have your talent. Her room is going to be gorgeous. I can't wait to see it all done.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Little Girl Suzan wants credit and recognition, and rightly so. You deserve it. Little Girl Cheryl just wants to stomp her foot and whine about having to vacuum. Not as justified.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suzan-That is turning out just beautiful. I love it and you have done an amazing job on the piece. I can't wait to see the whole set pulled together and done-(I bet you can't wait either!;>) It looks like a million bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely stunning Suzan! Sounds like you had a great time on this job. Can't wait to see the chairs... they're always the least fun, but I'm sure they'll be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That dining room suite has gone from nice but ordinary to absolutely beautiful with a wave of your magic paintbrush. Well, maybe a bit more than a wave, but certainly worth it! How nice to have a kindred spirit client.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking like a Suzan original!! Yet, again!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm In Awe! Awww! Owww! No....AWE!!! :) Awesome!!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that finish. Can't wait to see your description of how you did it. And those are the cutest little rosettes on the table legs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Betsy - I need to find a scrap piece of wood to do this on - I'm all out :(
      XXX

      Delete
  17. It's looking good. When you come up for air from doing the chairs I will know the reveal is following soon.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is looking great, love that piece and color. I would have cracked up when I came home and saw things on top of that piece. I love that vine heart. Great!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Replies
    1. Thanks so much - it was beautiful to start with, right?
      Paint only made it look even better!
      hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  20. I try to paint like you but my stuff always seems to turn out so, well, amateur-ish compared to yours. Sigh. Try, try again, right? Or maybe I can bribe you to come to Vancouver Island for a week and do my chairs, hutch, tables, sideboard, kitchen ...... Patty/BC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me the tickets Patty - and I'm SO there lol - could use a little of Vancouver Island right about now!
      XOX

      Delete
  21. Gorgeous!!! Cant' wait to see the chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Suzan,

    You have outdone yourself!! Absolutely gorgeous work and craftsmanship! KUDOS to you, my friend! And bravo to your client for being such a positive force in the overall result!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous! What a fabulous job you did Suzan. I love it and can't wait to see the rest.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SO much Margaret!
      It was a gorgeous piece to start :)
      XOX

      Delete
  24. it all looks great!! can't wait to see the complete *AFTER*!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are doing a fantastic job with this makeover, Suzan.

    XOXO,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  26. That looks great Suzan! Can't wait to see everything. I picked up a buffet just like it the other day that I am keeping for myself and am going to attempt to do a Union Jack on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. The table legs are really great now, I love how the way you painted draw the eyes to wonderful details!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow wee! Nice work! You're right about that pedestal, way to bring the details out!

    And you're so funny and entertaining as usual!

    Hugs,

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Suzan,
    What a wonderful transformation! Love the color. It is amazing how the details really pop now. Looking forward to seeing the hutch.
    Suzanne
    Pieced Pastimes
    PS-Would love to have you link this up to Saturday Sparks

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am always loving everything you do! LOVE that buffet, and yes, that hardware looks great against that color.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  31. OMGoodness! this sideboard is gorgeous and I can't wait to see the table finished. What color is that sideboard?
    The hardware is perfect!
    xo, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  32. Of course you need to be proud of your work because the buffet is so gorgeous!! Can't wait to see you work your magic on the table and chairs.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  33. So beautiful! Love the color and the decor on top! I'd be thrilled if you'd link up at this week's Off the Hook!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Absolutely beautiful. I just love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow Suzan, It turned out gorgeous! That color is divine and I love the technique!(I also just love how I get little pink stars when I type!) Did you use a white glaze? I copied your glaze technique on my dressing table and I LOVE it!

    I think my french dresser is going to be blue. I'm always inspired by your blog.
    Peace
    Linda at The French Hens Nest

    ReplyDelete
  36. Amazing! The color completely updates the piece. It's amazing what a coat of paint can do! Stopping by from Shabby Creek Cottage :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful but I wouldnt expect anything else from you-love dee xxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Looks so GOOD! I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This turned out so beautifully Suzan! Lucky client!! I'm the same away about staging. I know better than to put
    "stuff" up there right away, but then I just can't help myself (and have had to fix a few oops! because of it!!)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful piece of furniture!! Love the color; it looks so classy!

    ReplyDelete
  41. So Beautiful. Thanks for sharing:)
    Jen @onceuponatimecreation

    ReplyDelete
  42. I can not believe you painted that antique buffet!!! My heart sank as I saw it change. It feels as though its history has died. I guess if you bought it second hand and have no emotional attachment to it, then it would be easier to paint. I could not do that to my grandmas or aunts buffets. I just couldn't. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Rebecca - I don't know how to reply to this other than to say if you don't like painted furniture then don't paint your own!!!
      I think this client paid perfect homage to her Aunt by keeping it - period.
      Paint does not destroy ( it can be sanded or stripped after all )
      My site definitely is NOT for you - because that's what I do - I paint furniture!!!
      Thanks for your input and your visit.................
      Suzan

      Delete
  43. I love this piece! You will be the Star Feature tomorrow at the Before and After Wednesday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see you again tomorrow at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  44. I see in the comments above that you were planning on doing a "driftwood finish" tutorial. I have searched your site, but don't see one anywhere. Am I missing it? I have almost this exact same set and would love to replicate this look. You did a fantastic job! This is my first time on your blog and I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi Suzan, This is quite possibly the best makeover I have every seen. I have seen it literally everywhere in my internet travels. Then this morning it pops up on my Hometalk email. There are two reasons I love this makeover. I have a dining room suite that is almost a twin. I have the pictures saved in my files. I was going to do something similar. The other is I love blue. Your client is a lucky lady to have such a beautiful suite. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo