Tuesday, March 4, 2014

To distress or not to distress...................

As you know furniture talks to me ( sometimes it sends me mixed messages - and I have to start all over again - other times it's clear as a bell - right from the beginning )

There are pieces I do where distressing would take away from the beauty of the piece - and so they are left as is such as this one ( HERE ) instead of distressing I did a " driftwood " finish on top using wax and left the body clean


Some pieces are content with just a quick white wash ( super easy white wash HERE )


or dark wax for a quick " antiqued dirty look " HERE

applying dark wax to furniture


And then some pieces ask for distressing ( " cheating " distressing HERE )



and every now and then one whispers  "please, go all the way " ( HERE )


But the piece I'm working on right now?

It was begging for just a little distressing around the corners and details - and to precisely do that I used my sander and tilted it to an angle that would only " outline " the edges................
Of course you can do it by hand - but this took seconds for each drawer ( as opposed to precious minutes LOL )


There's something particularly beautiful with ASCP Graphite and small bits of wood peaking through -
the old worn look is so Restoration Hardware ( ish )  -


it's not even waxed yet and you can see how this looks so naturally aged, right?

and the great thing about this is that IF you decide you DON'T like the distressed look - it's simply a quick coat around the corners and it's removed in minutes.  I think a lot of people are afraid when painting furniture - but there's nothing you can't fix - absolutely nothing :)


oh oh - it would appear electrical sanders speak to me too - I can hear it yelling from downstairs -
" hurry up will ya - come finish this piece already "

I'm coming - I'm coming !!!
Sorry have to sign off now - these things are very temperamental :)

( I had to google temperamental - spell check kept correcting me - who else thought it was spelled
TEMPERMENTAL LMHO??????????????

I hate spell check - it's removed another false belief I had in myself..................

Much live leve luve LOVE,

Partying Here !!!
Savvy Southern Style                             Adorned from Above                   French Country Cottage
Chase the Star                                       My Romantic Home                    The Shabby Nest
Miss Mustard Seed                                Remodelaholic                            I Heart Nap Time
Funky Junk Interiors                              Painted Pasttimes                       Be Different - Act Normal
It's Overflowing                                    Three Mango Seeds                    Uncommon Designs
I Should be Mopping the Floor               CraftOManiac                             The Chicken Chick
Between Naps on the Porch                   Coastal Charm                             Stone Gable
My Uncommon SLice of Suburbia          Not Just a Housewife                   Homework
Glitter Glue and Paint

41 comments:

  1. I love the "naturally" worn look of the piece you're working on now. You have a knack (or is it nack) for just the right amount of distressing - or maybe you just listen well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the piece you showed yesterday that you were working on? I love the distressed look you gave to it. It looked too plain in the first photo. It's gorgeous. Tempermentel has an 'a' in it? Who knew?? I'm thankful for spell check but it slows me down sometimes. Temperamental. There. Have a great day and don't get to (di)stressed over it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzan,
    You are the furniture whisper and this piece is wonderful. Love It!!!! You have done this piece proud. Great job.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh darn, I left a long comment and it just told me that it was BROKEN. Okay, so just wanted you to know that I love the look. Beautiful. And I sure hope I get some ambition once the snow melts. And I think I pronounce it temperamental too! It sounds better that way, doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have loved every piece of furniture that you have done.
    You probably have mentioned this before but wanted to ask; what kind of wax do you use on your painted projects?
    Thank you
    ColleenB.~Texas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! I knew how to spell temperamental because Lulu had it on one of her tests and I told her she spelled it wrong (and I am a good speller)...lol Wrong-check one for me!

    You do the most incredible job of painting, Suzan. You know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em-when to leave her fully dressed or show a bit of "skin". I have not seen a single one of your pieces that I would not want to claim for my own.

    Can't WAIT to see the piece you are painting for your client. I do have a question for you though - do you ALWAYS use chalk paint or do you sometimes use regular paint? If you do use regular paint do you use a poly (or wax) over it? xoxox Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spelling words wrong is something I do all the time...my fingers are faster than my brain. OK, so I typed brian already this morning. If only my fingers would get work finished faster!! You have another gorgeous piece!♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  8. there is beauty in each piece...distressed or not

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a big fan of your choices, you have a great vision on how to treat each piece.

    (Why do the spelling gods thing temperamental needs aNOTHer syllable???)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it, Suzan. Every furniture you lay your hand on, end up just beautiful.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Right choice as always! That's exactly what it needed. Yes, yes, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love that piece!
    Uh, you mean I've been spelling it wrong all these years? Great. Another spelling adjustment to make - sigh. Lol
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  13. You create such beauty, regardless of the finish you choose. I'm not one for a lot of distressing or the chippy look...that's just me. Proceed my talented friend!! :)

    xo
    Pat
    P.S. I've been called a spelling Nazi! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. The piece looks stunning. Do you think we should start a "I hear what inanimate things say" club?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Taking a second look I really like it as is but as Kris stated, you are the Paint Whisperer. This is such a gorgeous piece. No matter what you do it will be perfection!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really like this finish! Congrats for using Spell Checker! You may be one of the few bloggers who does..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make plenty of mistakes - even with spell check - trust me lol - my fingers fly faster on the key board then my brain works !
      Thanks Teddee !
      XOX

      Delete
  17. Love this piece...it looks great!! Spell Checker drives me crazy when it changes a word on me. LOL...
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. All your projects always look wonderful so your furniture pieces (and your sander) are speaking the right language it would seem!
    I have to look up words too sometimes and it drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. well whatever your doing keep doing it as your stuff looks great always-love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really pretty Suzan! I think distressing is an art. And less is more. And I too struggle with spelling, I'm always googling words. Like I've got nothing better to do...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Suzan, you always know just what to do! I LOVE that driftwood finish and want to do it on my new dining room table. It will be perfect. Did you ever do a tutorial on that?? I looked at the post link and it says you would...but you might break that promise! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well you sure are busy painting away. What a gorgeous piece this is. I love distressing, I think it just finishes the look off right. Less is more, I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am definitely going to paint my armoire one of these days with a distress finish! Luckily I have "tempermental" you to help!! LOL Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  24. You do beautiful work and this piece is stunning. I am sure the pieces talk to you and guide you.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the light distressing on the edges. And I'm happy to know your furniture carries on conversations with you.

    xoxo
    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  26. lol dam spell check love love love the little distressing you did looks perfect now

    ReplyDelete
  27. It horrifies people when I tell them I use a palm sander for distressing. If you have a light touch, who's gonna know you used a machine to do it? I think that is the perfect amound of distressing for that piece. I get what you are saying about spellcheck. I seem to always want to use a 'z' when it should be an 's'.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I confess to using a sander on larger pieces instead of hand-sanding. I do finish off each piece with a light hand sanding with a rough paper towel - try it - you will be surprised at the extra patina it gives a piece. Love that graphite paint color. Maybe you were thinking temper-mental!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I use my sander too, or sometimes a wet scrubby. And I recently bought a car buffer to buff the wax. What can I say I am old and need the short cuts to save my arms and hands. I love this dresser and the colour, is gorgeous. Another master piece my dear. hugs Tobey

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've done my sanding with a block, but with some practice it's good to know that I might be able to use my sander.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ha ha ha! I think my sanders have been mute because none of them told me they could make the darn job so much easier. They probably sat there on the shelf laughing at me in unison while I hand sanded each piece. Lazy sons of a gun...but that stops today :) *Finger's crossed* - I use power tools like I drive...pedal to the metal.
    Marie @ The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  32. Of electric I didn't think that could be done, keeping that in my pocket. Furniture talk to you, mine curses me and says why why did you ruin me, I'm ignoring it and rethinking some ideas, plus I have to do all my wood and I won't let this one put me off ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I had no idea that's how you spell "temperamental" see...I learned something new today! Your pieces are all so beautiful! You truly have a gift! I've never used chalk paint, but keep hearing great things about it. I may have to try it soon. I'm sure I'll want to use it on everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I didn't know that was how temperamental was spelt! It isn't pronounce that way...strange language this English is.
    Beautiful dresser! I have never used my sander to distress a piece, I'm afraid I would take too much off...but it actually didn't with yours!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Some really lovely examples, and I like how you showed different options. Cool! (Seen on "It's a Party" link up.)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gorgeous. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party this afternoon http://www.astrollthrulife.net. Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  37. what a lovely piece of furniture you do good work thanks for sharing following on bloglovin have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have to get me some ASCP graphite! it looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo