Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Shuttered Windows!

Good morning !

Some of you may have read about my " deal of the century " when I scored 6 sets of these for an unimaginable price !
HERE


John and I held them up to the window ................

John says - Didn't you measure the windows before you bought these
Suzan says - Yes I did
John says - Didn't you realize they wouldn't fit ?
Suzan says - Yes I did
John says - Well it's NOT such a great deal if we can't use them, is it?
Suzan says - I'll make them fit dammit !
John says - THEY DON'T FIT - YOU CAN'T " MAKE " THEM FIT !!!!
Suzan says - yes I can dammit.................

Yesterday - I worked out a barter deal with my friendly neighborhood contractor - Natasha!!!!!!!
Want some furniture painted?  No problemo - I need some work done too !!!
What - you like this piece?
Well that might be another day or 2 of work in the house lol

Ok - here we go -

Now these Louvre Shutters have frames in them because they were custom made for someone's windows obviously - they are meant to sit INSIDE the frame and removing them from the frame made them far too small for the inside of the window frame  which is what John was talking about - but I've never let a little thing like the correct measurements ( of anything ) stand in my way.

We removed all the window frames ( ugly anyway - needed to be changed desperately ) and attached
" L " brackets to screw into the window surround, like so



New window frames will cover up those brackets and no one will be the wiser

We also have to install some molding on the interiors -



Hopefully the window frames will be up by next weekend -

And then I can show you how I make them fit even when they're too short for another window - like this one


That wire hanging from the left hand corner is what you get when you buy a house that was built before T.V.'s were invented - let alone cable ( there's tons of old telephone wires hidden behind baseboards too ! )   have to do something about it - but this room's in major reno mode so for now it's the least of my problems
( and that's a big fat lie - it's little things like this that keep me awake at night LOL )

AND because I can't look at the shutters in the living room without them being all framed in - even for just a week - I hung up curtains to hide that little fact - and now I'm in love with how they look together!


The living room window looks out into the enclosed porch - which is a mess still - let's hide THAT too!


John says - How'd you make them fit?  I'm impressed
Suzan says - With sheer determination
Suzan says - I told you they would work
Suzan says - You never listen to me
Suzan says - When will you start trusting me
Suzan says - Why do
John interrupts - Ah shutter up already

Suzan says - That was very witty John - now I'm impressed

Suzan says - We can dance around the living room naked now
John says - What the hell would we want to do that for?
Suzan says- Oh I don't know - if the mood strikes us one day
John says - God Forbid.............



I MADE THEM FIT ( dammit !!! )

Have a wonderful day !

Much love,

I'll be at these fabulous parties!
Ivy & Elephants                              Common Ground                         Redoux Interiors
French Country Cottage                          Chase the Star                             My Romantic Home
Shabby Nest                                          Remodelaholic                             The Charm of Home
Be different act normal                           I should be mopping the floor        Uncommon Designs
Under the table & dreaming
From my front porch to yours

43 comments:

  1. Great job!! They look terrific and once framed in, they'll look "Made to Order" for your windows. Why don't men get it? We ladies don't give up...we make things work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzan, Can I live in your house? I need a breath of fresh air and your house is just the medicine I need! :-) I LOVE what you've done. I knew if anyone could make them fit, it would be you! LOVELY!!!

    Have a beautiful day...every day!
    Laurayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously Laurayne - you would NOT want to live in this house - it's awful still lol
      But thanks so much :)
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Great score on those shutters Suzan! I would shutter all my windows if I had the big bucks... only have a couple done right now with garage sale found shutters. They're hard to find around here for some reason. I think it's such a fabulous look. Genius idea to make them fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous! Why do so many men have a complete inability to think outside the box??! Great job Suzan, you are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY funny, John - that was a good one. :-) Love the shutters, Suzan. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great! Come on John, you know Suzan is good! Love making something work. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some day John will realize you know what you're doing! LOL...:) They lok great and I really like them with the curtains too! Looking forward to the next reveal!

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE how they look with the curtains!! And we've been running around naked in this house for months now. And we don't have shutters OR curtains. Oops.

    xoxo
    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and John are hoots! : ) Now look at those shutters! I love them and they look so pretty on your windows. No one should ever question a woman's determineness! Is that a word? Well, you did it! They look so nice.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suzan I knew you would make these work. They are awesome. I want shutters for my windows like these. They are gorgeous.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. High five to John for the witty comment, and high five to you for making those fit, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my dear (cyber) friend - with as many ILOVELUCY hijinks as I've found myself in over the years, you make me laugh. And laugh. Your shutters are spectacular but the story is even better. And John! Making a funny? I knew you had it. You gotta bring it on more often. About dancing naked - you just never know what goes on behind closed shutters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I knew you could do it, and it was such a savings. The shutters look spectacular, and they are really great for keeping out cold, but here shutters are used to keep out heat.

    I have one old pair hanging around for my daughter's room, but it's not fun putting things into the concrete walls, so my spouse has not tackled it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The shutters are beautiful, Suzan. How smart you are!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great story! Love the shutters! I'm the same way, if my husband says I can't do something, I'll do it or die, "dammit"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh goodness....love how you got that done, love the story and love your blog! You are so funny and talented. Now I have to figure out how to attach some vintage shutters that I just have leaning against the window!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG I love them. A good barter deal! Now let's get naked and by that I mean you and John! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. poor john you would think he would be tired of being a loser....you are fabulous and so are you shutters...shutter up laughing still xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and with his British accent - it was like Shut 'er up lmho!!!
      Thanks honey!
      ♥ ♥ ♥

      Delete
  19. Love the shutters Suzan and you did a great job of making them fit ... of course, you already knew that. I think John thinks so too, but has a hard admitting it.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  20. love them but I really love them with the cutains it just finishes them off- love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  21. But of course you got them to fit! What was John thinking? Genius solution and they add so much to the windows! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You did make them fit and they look great. And the curtains look great too! It's a win win.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well-they say where there's a will there's a way. I say where there's a WILL you might find a dead spouse...just sayin'. Those look great. I LOVE shutters. You can't beat the way they look-especially paired with curtains- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that your contractor is named Natasha :) YAY you made them fit, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just knew that you would make them fit. They looks so pretty with the curtains!!
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look great and good for you with your determination. That John still makes me laugh every time!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, I knew if anyone could do it you could. Never doubted you for a second! Well cute that John came up with Shutter up, pretty clever of him. But then men can never admit they are wrong, at least not mine. They look great..

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's aboslutely lovely, Suzan! Doesn't John know by now that women are always right? Don't forget to take pictures when you dance naked in the living-room!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Suzan, you are a genius!! That shuttered window is beautiful and I'm still loving those black and white curtains. I do hope that John has learned to trust you...and Natasha!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I see shutters at the restore once in a while and I never thought about trying to make them fit, you are so smart. I love how they look even unfinished. I know what you mean about wires everywhere. My house had lights in the middle of the wall over top of picture I guess. They had them everywhere, you would think this was an art gallery or museum. Now I have stupid holes to fill everywhere. And don't get me started about little wires. I wish I had a handy neighbour, going to have to look for someone in the neighbourhood I can barter with, another smart idea. See this is why we are friends, you get the great ideas and I steal them. like friends that borrow your favorite top of shoes. I hope you think its flattering and not creepy, like it sounds lol hugs Tobey

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you thank you thank you..... I had a similar vision as a solution for our electrical panel down stairs..... I kept trying to explain it to my husband - the framing part - but he didn't understand. I don't have shutters but thought I could buy some - but your pictures finally made what I was suggesting - understandable....phew - a year later and now he goes - OKAY!!!!!! Marriage counsellor, that is what your title should be. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Suzan!!!

    Never, can't, no, nope no-can-do, impossible, natta, never, just some of the words that are not in your vocabulary!!! John should know by now to never say those words to you because you prove him wrong every time!!! So funny!!!!

    Your new home is going to look awesome once everything is done!!! The transformation is astounding!!!

    Have a great weekend!!!

    Pam
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  33. Every time I read one of your post, I leave thinking, "Is there nothing that woman cannot do?" I admire your determination and design skills. The result is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there's plenty I can't do Kim - like choose a normal house to renovate lol
      thanks so much - that's a compliment and a half !!!!!!
      XOXOX

      Delete
  34. Oh....John of little faith! lol Hasn't he realized yet that you can do anything??? lolol Amazing job, Suzan! I adore how your mind works and how you make things work out so beautifully! Absolutely love them!!! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm impressed, too, Suzan!! They look awesome with the curtains, like you planned it all along. Way to go, deal of the century that works out perfect!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo