Tuesday, April 29, 2014

I WANNA live there Wednesday # 77

Good morning everyone !!!

This week's IWLT will be taking a twist.

I came across a house in Brunswick, Missouri for 39,000 and I've fallen head over heels with the potential in this home -
THIRTY NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS - we paid 8 times that amount for something that will never have this type of " bones "

All photos and commentary are from THIS OLD HOUSE
Price: $39,000
Location: Brunswick, Missouri
2200 square feet
Contact: Blake Dankert, 660-815-0381

The History: City Clerk William Finch, who built this Folk Victorian in the 1880s, was known locally for his meticulous attention to detail. In fact, an excerpt from his obituary reads, "His books were the perfection of neatness and accuracy and his work gave the best of satisfaction."

It should come as no surprise, then, that he was equally detail-oriented in designing this home, where he lived most of his life with his wife, Adeline, and where they raised their three children. The Finches sold the house in the 1940s, and it has since been home to five more families. The current owner began a restoration but now needs to move, before it can be completed.



Why Save It? The exterior has a pleasing, symmetrical facade, with stacked window bays topped by hipped gables flanking the center pediment. The interior boasts elaborate walnut millwork and built-ins. 

Shown: This elaborate pediment was once the roof of a second-floor balcony over the entry. The balcony has since been replaced with square support columns.



What It Needs: The three-bedroom, one-bath house needs extensive repairs to the plaster walls on the second floor. Most of the first floor has been stripped to the studs, so it's a good time to reconfigure the layout and add a second bathroom. The roof and furnace have been replaced, and the electrical has been updated. 

Shown: As evidenced by this window bay, the home's ornate woodwork is intact on the first floor. Most of the walls, however, have since been opened to the studs.




Brunswick is a small town of 850 along the Missouri River, about two hours east of Kansas City. The town is currently undergoing a revitalization, making this the perfect time to invest in it by buying and restoring one of its most charming houses.

Shown: The bright and airy master bedroom has a decorative fireplace surround and bench seating built into the bay window.



One of the home's four mantels.



The front door's original etched-glass sidelights.



The staircase's carved walnut newel.



The house is filled with intricate walnut millwork, which has been well preserved.



Is anyone else as stunned by this hauntingly beautiful home as I am ?
I'm speechless that this can be bought anywhere on the planet for 39,000 dollars and if I lived anywhere near the vicinity of this house I'd buy it up in a heartbeat!

This would be a labor of love - unlike the toil of frustration I'm going through with my renovations lol.........

Have a great Wednesday everyone !
( and check in next week - because this will be a little mini series within a series ) 

Come join me at these great parties!
French Country Cottage                            Shabby Art Boutique                       My Turn for Us
My Romantic Home                                  Redhead can Decorate                    That's what Che said
Between Naps on the Porch                      My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia    Stone Gable
A Stroll Through Life                                Coastal Charm                                Kathe with an E
Adorned from Above                               Ivy & Elephants

39 comments:

  1. OMGosh Suzan, that house is amazing, in Auckland you would be paying probably around 1.5 million in the state it is in. Prices have gone crazy here. I absolutely love it and wondering if I should be buying it from across the world at $39,000 that is ridiculous...but then what would I do with it, a bit difficult to rent out as is I would say....and a bit expensive back and forth to renovate from NZ. What is the catch???? I guess the location but gosh what a beautiful home and like you say amazing bones. Imagine it renovated, it would be beautiful.

    Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the location - but I could live in there and never come out of the house LMHO !!! And I could afford some pretty wonderful vacations if it only cost 39,000 to buy - wonder if you could negotiate and bring the price down further LOL
      " well there's a lot to do - how about 25,000 " - can you imagine?
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. PS...What am I talking about....in Auckland, NZ more like $2.5Million as is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WANT THIS HOUSE!!! I don't even care if it's located in the neighbourhood crack den...I'm sure I could do city clerk William Finch proud. Anyway you can't buy a garage for $39,000 in some parts of the UK now and we're still supposed to be recovering from a recession!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMHO Gerry !!!!!!!
      I want that master bedroom - OMG - those windows - the molding - the mantel - can you believe this????
      ANd you could NOT buy a garage for 39,000 ANYWHERE in Montreal, I may have to cross the border next time we buy !
      XOX

      Delete
    2. Do we know if there is much of a market for painted furniture round there? I mean even crack dealers have to furnish their homes right? I'm thinking the key phrase is ' the town is currently undergoing revitalization' which is probably code for move here at your peril...I'm with you though just stay at home and admire all that fabulous 'intricate walnut millwork'. I could put up with some very dodgy neighbourhoods for a house like that!!!

      Delete
  4. Wow! This is a jaw dropper! Thanks for sharing this one....

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you found one in the rough with the original details intact. I am sure there will be the right person to make this place a splendid home again. And yes, there are homes like this begging for someone to buy them and restore, not renovate, restore them. Often I see one for less than 39K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, Suzan, I have no desire to move there. Besides, I've already taken up permanent residence in Auberge de Vieux Port. Remember??
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'd be too far from your beloved Montreal. Location is EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww! I want it! I`m moving right in! :) I so wish that our homes in England had as much character as this one! Thanks for sharing! I truly enjoyed seeing these photos! :)
    Kind regards all the way from beautiful England! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say go for it. Most importantly, you'd be in the same state as Danni and then I could visit you both at the same time. Because it's all about me.
    You'd have to convert to yards for your business. Frustrating, but doable. And then you could visit Montreal a few times a year and stay at the grandest of hotels, using the money you saved by buying a $39,000 house. See? I have it all figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I looked at the price I thought you had made a typo and missed a digit off! It isn't even that bad inside, and the original detailing is stunning. Here in England a 12ftx18ft beach hut, with no electricity or water, sold for approx $303,000 last year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see the potential. But I'm ready for new. I'm tired of repairs and old things making their way into my pocketbook. :) YOU I could see with this home, and I could see you making it absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This would be such a great deal for someone interested in restoration. All that wood... and those fireplaces... amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, how I'd like to save that amazing house! It might be a little difficult to get to work from there every day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow....what a beauty. and I'm sorry, but anyone who every tries to paint that wood work.....well, I just better not be close by. lol
    Debbi
    -YankeeBurrow

    ReplyDelete
  15. You'd have to line up with the rest of us to buy this baby, Suzanne. It is stunning!! The architectural details alone are worth the asking price.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The craftmanship is wonderful and the detail exquisite. Imagine all the time and patience that went into that woodwork! It is just beautiful beyond words. I live an hour north of KC but still there is no chance my husband would participate in such a project. I will let me friends in the middle of the state know about it. Maybe there is a taker there. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Suzan. What a bargain. Wow I am sure it needs a lot of work but you cannot even buy a car for that price anymore and what a beautiful piece of history. The salvage alone in this house is worth 4 times as much. That must be a very isolated run down part of Missouri to have that kind of price on this house. Wow I wonder how far this is from me??? Hmmmm!
    I could rehab that place to be the beauty she once was. I am going to google the address now.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope someone loves it as much as you do and takes the time to restore it properly. It's remarkable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is an amazing house! And an amazing price!! It sure need a lot of TLC but just look a the woodwork. I love it! The master bedroom with the window seat? Love it. I hope someone has the opportunity to finish the restoration and keep this gem from the wrecking ball.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a dream home, I'd happily spend the rest of my days decorating and bringing it back to life. Gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  21. Holy crap - my son could buy that house with his Bar Mitzvah money! Well, not really, maybe just the down payment, LOL, but what a steal! I hope someone saves it. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can't even buy land for that price here, wow what a beautiful home, someone will have a treasure on their hands in fixing that old place up just gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous!!! I love everything about it. And the price.... unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  24. They just don't build like this anymore. Amazing craftsmanship. Wouldn't it be fun to do a flip....on second thought, once it was fixed up, who would want to leave?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Suzan,
    This is a fantastic house with incredible woodwork. Just seeing it was a real treat.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  26. such a gorgeous house! the woodwork is fabulous--tfs, suzan! happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW! That house is gorgeous!!!! Amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Suzan, I don't live very far from this home for sale, maybe 150 miles. The town is not bad, its country. I`m surprise it so cheap. But not many jobs near there. Love reading your blog. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  29. Holy crap....I can't believe the condition of the woodwork, especially when you consider the condition of the rest of the house! What a gem.....

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, what incredible detail! You couldn't even get a trailer house around here for $39,000! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh.....my....gosh! I don't know if I'd even change anything in that house! I love the worn floors, the faded, peeled walls....everything!!!! Incredible home, Suzan!!!!!

    xoox laurie

    ReplyDelete
  32. ~wow, it is stunning, so much character and charm. How fun it would be to personalise and style that space!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a remarkable house, oh my heavens! I'm in shock at the price too! It's one for the books!

    ReplyDelete
  34. As a vintage lover, I am blown away with the all the details.

    LOVE it! and as the other girls said, "I never go out of that house" LoL*

    TY for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Can I pluck up this beauty and plop it down in Florida? Gorgeous and gritty!

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo