Friday, June 1, 2012

Well, I do declare!!!


Canada Duty-Free Limit: Cross-Border Shoppers Enthusiastic, Canadian Retailers Worried..................


and they should be!!!
We have been overpaying for many years now - as I expressed in my rant here (as you know the goverment
reads my blog daily - and I think this was the push they needed, lol ) 

Once upon a time, many many years ago - in the land of trust and innocence - we used to cross the border constantly - and it was always such an easy process between custom officers and travellers - have a good day folks - wecome to the States -  wink wink nudge nudge..................
We would come back hiding all of our treasures - and very innocently say to the Canadian customs - Oh nothing to declare - just went to enjoy the day, lol - and 99% of the time you were simply sent on your way.
But for a long time now we have been under immense scrutiny upon entering the States and then again upon returning to Canada.
It's become a headache - even though Montreal is only a half hour or so from the N.Y. border.

Wow - we can now spend 800 dollars if we go for 2 to 7 days - I can cram a lot into my suitcases with that!
And online shopping will become more feasible as well.
Anything to declare Ma'am?
Yes - a big huge THANKS!

BTW - I really am a little torn with this - it's going to hurt CDN retailers big time - but maybe - just maybe this will turn things around?  I mean our dollar is now on par - shouldn't our merchandise be also?  There is going to be a lot of CDN dollars going into the U.S. economy until things shape up at home I'm afraid.
In the meantime

Hobby Lobby - here I come ( the drawer pulls - the stencils - the crafts - oh my )

XXX





2 comments:

  1. Oh if I were closer, we could go have a fun girl shopping week-end! We went to the States during the Christmas break and bought for $800 in one day, no overnight stay, lol! They made us pay for the GST at the border, which was reasonable enough (I guess), and it was still a good deal. I'm sure when Target comes to Ontario, their prices won't match the American prices. It's like books. Why are we still paying more for books, even though the dollar is at par and Canada is the largest paper producer in the world? Something has to give. There's no reason why we shouldn't pay the same prices as our American counterparts for crap made in China, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't help but think I'll be scouring the stocklists for the closest CeCe Caldwell and Annie Sloan distributors in the US.

    Oh yeah.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo