Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I Wanna live there # 23

I live in a pretty incredible area - It's an historical neighbourhood loaded with tons and tons and tons of charm - and 20th century architecture, just steps away from the city center, it's also a pretty expensive neighbourhood ( in which I live in servants quarters basically compared to what I'm surrounded by ) 
Because there's days I don't have furniture makeovers to show you - I've chosen Wednesdays to showcase and feature one home that's for sale around here.................( or apartment - or duplex - or teepee )
Keep in mind this is in the heart of the city - so the prices reflect that  - think Manhattan - where these places would cost 3 or 4 times what they're listed for here!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Good Morning everyone!
1st one up on the list this morning is listed at 1,295,000
4 bedroom
4 bath
Built in 1912
Realtor Marie-Yvonne Paint

Again you can't judge a book by it's cover!  They don't look very large from a " street " view but most of these houses are very long.......................
Come on - let's get inside this one ( walk in a line behind me please - we have to be orderly about this and not all try to get in at the same time like a bunch of neurotic bloggers - NO pushing and shoving )




beautiful foyer with original wooden staircase in turn of the century home

Are we all painting out the wood?  Crisp white?  I spy ( with my little eye ) a radiator peaking out on the bottom right hand corner - love love love these ( do I really HAVE to say that every single time? )









Hello Kitty! - sorry you're going to have to move soon sweetie................... I really really like this kitchen.









pretty handles - bling type of thing - 














I'm not the biggest fan of modern - but that butane fire place works in this room - beautifully - I could easily be converted I think!
Hey kitty - are you following us around?









one more?

3,435,530 dollars
Realtor Ingrid Mellina
LIVE ON TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN! BE ON TOP OF THE WORLD! The Surrey Gardens in Westmount is one of the most prestigious and sought after addresses in Montreal.This desirable property is situated at the end of a Cul de Sac where the majestic cupola of the St.Joseph's Oratory rises to meet your eyes and leaves you breathless. 

To live in the presence of a historic building of such splendor and significance will be a privilege to any future resident.The tranquility and beauty of this magnificent neighborhood add to the value of this exceptional property.
Jean Houde who has realized the dream homes for hundreds of satisfied customers has built a 5 BR residence of the highest building standards. This master craftsman has more than 20 Years experience and 6 Domus awards to his credit.
The house has a living space of 6.690 sq.ft. on 4 levels including a finished basement and A large 2-car garage.


This is as large as I can make these next photos without losing resolution - sorry about that - 
because these photos deserve to be much larger!



Ok - here we can all scramble in together because it's empty - we can all go nuts 





some of us can go upstairs - some of us can go downstairs - some of us can just dance around this foyer for a little while ( I may go upstairs and slide down the bannister actually ) 



wait a minute - that may be a little difficult



but wow - what a gorgeous stairwell!










dining room








the fireplace is open - so it's in the master bath as well




do you think I'm joking when I tell you this master bath is double ( if not more ) the size of my bedroom?







what a gorgeous upper landing - love love love those window wells - looks like there's 3 of them - plus a skylight!




and the piece de resistance is you're facing this



Which is Canada's largest church -  St. Joseph's Oratory ( Roman Catholic minor basilica ) 
You can click on the link for a little history


Here's a couple of photos - I really must do a post on Montreal's Churches one day - because there
are more here than anywhere else in North America ( Canada and the States combined ) and most
of them are turn of the century buildings - the architecture on some of them is out of this world!

Photos of St. Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal, Montreal
This photo of St. Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal is courtesy of TripAdvisor


In 1904, Saint André BessetteC.S.C., began the construction of St. Joseph, a small chapel on the slopes of Mont Royal near Notre Dame College.[2] Soon the growing number of the congregation made it too small. In 1917 a larger church was completed that had a seating capacity of 1,000. In 1924, the construction of the basilica of Saint Joseph's Oratory was commenced; it was finally completed in 1967.[2]
Father Paul Bellot, an architect, completed the dome of Saint Joseph's Oratory between 1937-39. The dome is the third-largest of its kind in the world after theBasilica of Our Lady of Peace of Yamoussoukro in Côte d'Ivoire and Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome.[3]


Samples from the stations of the cross
Photos of St. Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal, Montreal
This photo of St. Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal is courtesy of TripAdvisor

On October 19, 2004, the Oratory held its centennial. All the bells of all the churches on the island of Montreal were supposed to ring at 9:00 a.m., though not all churches participated. At 9:05 a.m., the basilica rang its bell in response and celebration.


Photos of St. Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal, Montreal
This photo of St. Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal is courtesy of TripAdvisor

You can pretty well see it from anywhere since it rests on the upper most part of the city ( Montreal stems from Mont Royal - which translates into Royal Mountain - just a bit of trivia for y'all lol )
Photos of St. Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal, Montreal
This photo of St. Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal is courtesy of TripAdvisor

It's quite a large tourist attraction actually - and is especially beautiful at night

source
That's all for today folks - a little real estate - a little architecture and a little history to boot!
Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Sharing with
The Charm of Home
French Country Cottage
Savvy Southern Style

18 comments:

  1. Oh my! The second house is magnificent. The room colors, plaster medalions, chunky trim (painted!!), view! I could move in there tomorrow and not change a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first house is a bit like Sybil. You just don;t know which personality it's going to show you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG theses houses are ALL beautiful!! I'll take one of each, please! After I win the lottery.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can have the second house, Suzan. I'm moving into the first one. Love the dark wood trim and that staircase - and the 6/1 windows. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the second house, but I wouldn't poopooh the first one. I would paint all the dark wood trims (sorry Cranberry Morning!), I think they make the walls look choppy and they should never be a feature. Your furniture and your art should have all the attention.

    I definitely prefer the second, I can see why its architect is award winning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful homes!Thank you for sharing!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my...the first few pictures are fabulously formal, and the kitchen in both of them is saying, 'Rosey, come home!' he he he

    *sigh* Back to my Kenmore kitchen. Thanks for the momentary vacation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful share Suzan, I really love this series that you do here. It lets us dream a lot. Have a wonderful week

    xo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm calling dibs on the second house. It's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, No, No...we're not painting the woodwork; how 'bout we put some color up on those stark white walls instead?????!! The 1st house does seem to suffer a bit from split personality syndrome, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Yes Yes I am painting out the woodwork LOL
      I love everyone of those personalities - I told Razmataz that I could relate to that house - since I have several personalities as well lol................
      XOX

      Delete
  11. I'll take the cat and the portrait of Elizabeth Ist from the first house to live with me in the second house!!! I already kept the cat of the former owners of my little cottage (since they don't want it anymore, he came back to his former house, looked at me with his amber eyes... and I melted).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Magali,

      What a lovely story. I hope the little fur ball knows how lucky he/she is having you as it's new owner. I have three and can't imagine not having one living with me.

      Pam

      Delete
    2. Sorry Magali - since I'll be taking the first house - I'm going to keep the cat lol
      What a sweetheart you are to keep the cat ( that came with the house )
      The cat came back - the very next day - and lucked out when he found out who the new owners were!
      XOX

      Delete
  12. Hi Suzan!!

    Love the houses!!!!

    The 1st one is just too sterile. White walls would have to go. The beams are so beautiful. I love the room which leads out to the balcony. It would be perfect to sit there with a glass of wine, reading a great book.

    The 2nd house is absolutely gorgeous!! The stairway is out of this world beautiful and I really love the ceiling in the sage green(which I love) room 2 pictures down from the dining room.

    How I love looking forward to Wednesday's!!! I wonder why?

    Thanks Suzan!!!

    Pam
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay if you are looking for me, I will be in the bathtub in house # 1!!!! Love those bathrooms. Not sure about the dark wood and actually the kitty looks lonely in that kitchen, had to laugh at that little bit of life in that very crisp white kitchen. Stairway is gorgeous in the second house, although my brain flipped to a horror movie scene with the character being thrown down the stairs or....okay, sorry, anyway, beautiful. Of course the prices do not surprise me in that neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh- Those are both just gorgeous houses. The interior of #1 is the most surprising to me- especially the kitchen for some reason. I would live in either one! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the first one! It's so much fun to see the rooms of houses. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo