Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A PAINTED CUCKOO CLOCK !


Hi Everyone !

I've been wanting a cuckoo clock for the little guest room but these things are very expensive!!!

Upwards of 200.00 ( and very upwards in a lot of cases ) 
I didn't need a fancy one - I didn't even need a wood one for that matter - so when I came across this on Amazon I jumped on it !



Because I figured that within an hour or so of receiving it - it would look like this !



I knew it would look very plastic-y in the dark brown - and it did - it looked like someone dipped it in chocolate actually - mmmm - an Easter chocolate cuckoo clock 


I taped up the mechanisms


Stuck a plastic glass over the clock parts - 


and spray painted the entire thing - chains and all with white primer


I then gave it a coat of ASCP Pure White chalk paint because I wanted to give it a little texture - however once I removed the glass I really didn't like the brown plastic ( had it been black I would have left it ) so I painted over the entire clock face as well
I'll stencil in the numbers one night this week - but for now I painted the little doors in ASCP Antoinette - shabby doors  ( the paint is still wet in this next photo )


and I carefully - very carefully - painted the clock hands too -


and voila - a cute little cuckoo clock for under 30.00  ( I didn't want to take out the battery - so the pendulum is blurry )


Here's the cuckoo ( complete with sound and all )and when I put the numbers on the face I'm actually going to paint the wings blue - crazy I know but I want a blue bird - the wings flap every time it chirps " cuckoo "


John says - Don't tell me we're going to have to listen to that bloody thing every hour
Happiness and sunshine - really he's all about happiness and sunshine.

So the batteries have been removed - but I know what to do now when he drives me crazy

And they will be going back in whenever the little ones are here - I know they'll get a kick out of it.

I certainly do anyway lol



Then I cleaned the paint brush and started on the plank wall - this is just the first step - ASCP French Linen
haphazardly brushing it on - I do NOT want perfection on this wall................and don't worry I'm not going to give you little bits of this every day - I was just so excited that the wall was actually up !
I'll do it all - and then I'll do a tutorial ( it kills me when I say that - ME giving a tutorial is just hilarious )  I want it to look old and weathered and rustic because something quite glamorous will be adorning this wall.
( give to me your leather - take from me my lace )


Oh - and nobody reminded me about my giveaway for reaching a million views !!!
Saw it yesterday - but I think it happened a week ago - sooooo.......................PIORRA MAISON  has agreed to join me in this milestone - stay tuned - I'll let you know all about it on Friday.

And I also just realized that it's Wednesday - I'm supposed to be featuring a house - Oy Vey.................

Have a great one - I HAVE to get back to that wall don't you know !
Much love,

I'll be at these fabulous parties this week - join in if you have something you'd like to share !

I Gotta Create                              From My Front Porch to Yours                    Katherine's Corner
Bloom Design Online                    Ivy & Elephants                                    The Charm of Home
French Country Cottage               Redoux Interiors                                           Shabby Art Boutique
My Turn for Us                            The Shabby Nest                                          Simple Nature Decor
Life on Lakeshore Drive               It's Overflowing                                            Redhead can Decorate
Uncommon Design                       Under the Table & Dreaming                Stone Gable
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia                                                                     A Stroll Thru Life
Cupcakes & Crinoline          Kathe with an E                                            Home Stories A to Z
Ginger Snap Crafts                      Craft-O-Maniac                                            Glitter Glue & Paint
Savvy Southern Style

29 comments:

  1. There is no comparison from the dipped chocolate to the vanilla - love it.

    And, only you would paint a cuckoo clock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks so much better painted, laughing out loud at John I have to say I would probably go crazy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor John.... Cuckoo Cuckoo Cuckoo Cuckoo Cuckoo Cuckoo Cuckoo Cuckoo! It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful update on the clock, I never would have dreamed of painting one. I think the blue bird will be adorable. Great job! -Bev

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much better in white than the plasticy brown. My parents had two cuckoo clocks - I think they got them from my grandparents? Anyhow, my son was terrified of the one in the kitchen when he was a toddler. The bird popping out and cuckooing scared him (maybe that's John's problem...he was traumatized by one when he was a tyke). LOL. I love that you'll paint it's wings blue. Adorable!
    Can't wait to see the wall finished. Have fun. :D

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just went and grabbed a mini Twix bar after seeing your cuckoo before... power of suggestion much, Cheryl?
    My grandfather clock somehow skipped a groove and isn't donging every hour - and I'm torn about getting it fixed. "But John, you DO get used to it eventually."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the clock is adorable and I would like listening to it...for at least a couple of hours. Congrats on the million views!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sister has an old wood cuckoo clock. Hmmm.... I think yours looks pretty cute painted white. What room is the plank wall in Suzan? Can't wait to see it finished. Hooray for the million + views! Awesome. Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely like the clock better in white! It looks great and the kids will love it. I was fascinated by them when I was a kid. The plank wall is looking gorgeous too! Have a blessed evening.

    Hugs. Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the plank wall.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  11. The plank wall is going to be gorgeous when you are done!!!! And you already know what I think about the cuckoo!!!! Love it!!!!! LOL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE cuckoo clocks! I grew up with my mom having two of them and we all just got used to them going off! I now have them both :o)

    I love how you've painted yours. I may have to get that one from Amazon for myself and paint it like you did. It would be cute in almost any color!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  13. Suzan, the clock is adorable! I've seen people do that a time or two and it is just so much better than the old brown ones. Your wall looks great too! We have a room that is going to get planked...and I've been saying that for 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love a white painted cuckoo clock - very nice. Definitely those wings will look better painted blue. LOL that the batteries came out
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie - the " noise " lasted 5 minutes LOL
      xoxox

      Delete
  15. It looks darling in white!

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the clock in white! Thanks for sharing this with the Thursday Blog Hop, Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great, Suzan. I like it white sooo much better. My grandfather had a cuckoo clock that be brought from Belgium. It hung in his kitchen when I was a little girl. We played gin rummy every Sunday afternoon and the cuckoo serenaded us. He drank homemade wine and I drank 7-up. The cuckoo was on the wagon...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous transformation! I can just hear you now...threatening to put the batteries back, lol! And I love when you say Oy Vey!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A wonderful and gorgeous improvement on the clock, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't believe how wonderful that turned out!! I've been saving my money for the Mora Clock, but this would satisfy me... momentarily :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Patra - I've been wanting a Mora Clock too !!!
      xoxo

      Delete
  21. What a totally amazing transformation....it does not even look like the same clock. Pinning now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Chocolate cuckoo clock....hehehehe!!! I actually have a REAL cuckoo clock thrown in a box somewhere...it belonged to Phil's mom. Jealous? Maybe it's a good thing I didn't throw it in the garbage. At least, I don't think I did.....Yikes....

    Your vanilla clock looks so cute. :)

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  23. Personally i think you ruined it ,,, that white look is horrible reminds me of ppl who do the same to good wood work,

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo