Thursday, August 21, 2014

It's okay to cry.....................

By the time the Lord made mothers, he was into the sixth day working overtime. An Angel appeared and said "Why are you spending so much time on this one?"
And the Lord answered and said, "Have you read the spec sheet on her? She has to be completely washable, but not plastic; have 200 movable parts, all replaceable; run on black coffee and leftovers; have a lap that can hold three children at one time and that disappears when she stands up; have a kiss that can cure anything from a scrape knee to a broken heart; and have six pairs of hands."
The Angel was astounded at the requirements for this one. "Six pairs of hands! No Way!" said the Angel.
The Lord replied, Oh, it's not the hands that are the problem. It's the three pairs of eyes that mothers must have!"
"And that's on the standard model?" the Angel asked. The Lord nodded in agreement, "Yep, one pair of eyes are to see through the closed door as she asks her children what they are doing even though she already knows. Another pair in the back of her head, are to see what she needs to know even though no one thinks she can. And the third pair are here in the front of her head. They are for looking at an errant child and saying that she understands and loves him or her without even saying a single word."
The Angel tried to stop the Lord. "This is too much work for one day. Wait until tomorrow to finish."
"But I can't!" The Lord protested, "I am so close to finishing this creation that is so close to my own heart. She already heals herself when she is sick and can feed a family of six on a pound of hamburger and can get a nine year old to stand in the shower."
The Angel moved closer and touched the woman, "But you have made her so soft, Lord."
"She is soft," the Lord agreed, "but I have also made her tough. You have no idea what she can endure or accomplish."
"Will she be able to think?" Asked the angel.
The Lord replied, "Not only will she be able to think, she will be able to reason, and negotiate."
The Angel then noticed something and reached out and touched the woman's cheek. "Oops, it looks like you have a leak with this model. I told you that you were trying to put too much into this one."
"That's not a leak." the Lord objected. "That's a tear!"
"What's the tear for?" the Angel asked.
The Lord said, "The tear is her way of expressing her joy, her sorrow, her disappointment, her pain, her loneliness, her grief, and her pride."
The Angel was impressed. "You are a genius, Lord. You thought of everything for this one. You even created the tear!"
The Lord looked at the Angel and smiled and said, "I'm afraid you are wrong again, my friend. I created the woman, but she created the tear!" 
Author Erma Bombeck

Montreal image - taken near the Olympic Stadium by yours truly
It's all too much - what with everything that's going on in the world right now - between Gaza - and Syria and the Ukraine - and Iraq - and Africa - even Ferguson - not to mention I'm still hurting over Robin William's death ( is that normal ? oh well if it's not, then I'm not - because it really did affect me )  and now I'm unbearably heartbroken hearing about Jim Foley - and I mean unbearably as in sick to my stomach.
I get overwhelmed from time to time - and right now I'm feeling a little like I did when Sandy Hook happened ( that post is HERE - warning - I swore in that post )
Sometimes they need to flow.
And flow they do.
Some days it's an unbearable burden all of this worldwide heartache - so much so that it seems ludicrous to bombard you with John and I's silly conversations - or a plank wall - in the midst of all of it.
Today I'm a crybaby - tomorrow the laughter will return - hopefully - that's just the way I roll.
Erma said it's OKAY to cry - and she pretty much hit the nail on the head with everything she wrote - so I'm going to listen to her on this one.
I'm sorry to be such a downer - but some days are meant for tears and a little bit of silence.
This would be one of them for me.
Amen.................

Have a good Friday..............and a wonderful weekend
( I'll announce the winner of the below giveaway on Sunday ) 
If you haven't left a comment you can't be picked 



Much love,

33 comments:

  1. Hi Suzan,

    Appalling, devastating and frightening, the latest events around the world are, indeed, unbelievable. Like you, I just cannot get Robin Williams out of my mind, and even learning that he was cremated, has not convinced me that he is gone. For some unknown reason, yesterday, out of the blue, Erma Bombeck came to my mind while I was doing my laps in the pool. Now, I know why.

    Take care, my friend.

    XOXO
    Poppy
    P.S. Thank you for your very sweet words on my current post.:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. When there are no words, we let tears speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great writing from Erma. It is sad all the devastation going on in this world. I know everything happens to teach us all something but sometimes it just seems like too much for one human heart to deal with. I agree a good cry sometimes is a start.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know Suzan, My next post was going to be about this same subject.........the devastation in our world lately, topped off with the loss of Robin Williams. I've been having trouble thinking about much else, my creativity has taken a bit of a nose dive. It all seems so trivial in the light of what's happening. We all need to pray hard for change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The news is so bad lately. The world is a mess. When it gets overwhelming, I just stop watching it for a while. I also think music might help once you are done crying. Hope tomorrow is better for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen! You put to words what many of us are feeling inside. It's heart wrenching, alarming, scary, sickening, and the list goes on. I had to turn off the television and crank up the music. The need to create and escape from it all beckons. Hope a good cry helps and that tomorrow is a better day.
    Hugs,
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  7. I call my tearducts my pressure release valves. The challenge is to get them to release at appropriate moments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's okay to cry. ((Big hugs to you my dear))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear you, and I share your tears. Life is a heart break sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Suzan, I am sending a dozen hugs your way!!!! I too have days just like yours!!!!! That's why I look for your blog to brighten my day, I was able to give up the antidepressants!!!!! Just know that you are so inspirational, and have brought a lot of joy to over a million views!!! I have been reading your blog for over a year before I had the nerve to post a comment, and now I am all over the place!!! I hope you feel better, have a good cry and know that lots of love is coming your way. Thank you for all you do. It is more than you know. XOXOXOXO Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. {{{{{{{{Suzan}}}}}}}} I'm still grieving for Robin Williams, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many of us are feeling overwhelmed with it all right now. :( Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Suzan, your funny blog always makes me smile and feel better... so never forget that you are making a difference in this insane world.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our world is a sad place, so much heartache and it's ok to shed some tears. I am still stunned over Robin Williams but maybe God just needed some laughter in Heaven. So, it's ok to share Robin with Him I suppose. I am trying to focus on the good things, like the two doctors who beat Ebola and will help the world with a cure, or the sweet little league team from the mean streets of the Southside of Chicago competing at the Little League World Series. But most importantly, turn off the TV because the media only focuses on the devastation and not the inspiration. Perhaps we should have a blog challenge where bloggers only post inspirational stories for a week. I haven't been posting much on my blog but you've just inspired me to seek out heartwarming stories to write about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie - I know what you're saying - and most days I try to balance out all the grief on this planet with the good - but it was seeing Jim Foley's parents speaking that did me in last night. Completely ripped my heart to shreds - no parent should ever have to live with the fact that their child was beheaded. And they're handling themselves with such grace and dignity.
      Today's another day - and I'm ok - just needed to work through it a little.
      Much love,
      Me

      Delete
  15. loved the post- totally understand the level of sadness and the tears that flow because of it..

    I'll just share this -- the great thing about a downer hour or day or whatever is::
    the only place to go from there is UP~! I am wishing UP or you from my heart.
    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, it all is a bit too much. When I read the news, I thought of his mother and my heart broke for her. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know how you feel, Suzan. I have many days like this. And I'm still hurting over Robin Williams. He was such a gentle soul, and I feel so much grief over his death. And Jim Foley? I can't even put into words how sick this made me. The world is a difficult place at times no matter how much beauty surrounds us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know Suzan...unbelievable! I just have to turn the news off. It's too much! And the media just keeps on and on ... I can't take anymore today. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We all have these days....the shedding of tears is good for the soul I think. I know I always feel better after I let them flow. A heart can only handle so much. Prayers and blessings for you and for this world we live in.

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well said. It's all too much. Incomprehensible. To quote Erma "If Life is a Bowl of Cherries, what am I doing in the pits?".

    ReplyDelete
  21. If we can't cry over all those things you listed, then we are heartless - and surely part of the problem. I say let the tears flow, then do just one very positive thing on behalf of a stranger. If we all do just that one little thing, I believe humanity will prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Life has been very heavy on the heart lately. I'm praying that your spirits are back up to "normal" soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am not much of a cryer Suzan, I'm a cleaner. When this kind of stuff happens, I just start cleaning. My house has been way too clean lately.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't even read it, or about him. I saw the picture on his knees and the headline, and I knew, and I felt it. And it's a very awful evil and sad. I can't imagine for him, or those who loved him, how hard it is to deal with, when it's so hard for strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Isn't it just awful? I wish the world could just get along and celebrate everyone's differences instead of smoulder in hate. Doesn't it take more energy to hate than to love? Have a good cry girl. Robin is gone and the world will be a little less funny :(

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't think there is any way of understanding all of this Suzan.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't think I'm alone in feeling not just horror and despair for humanity after this unspeakable atrocity but also shame, because it was a British man who did this. He wasn't someone who had been brutalised by a tough life under an unfair and impoverished regime. He left this country (and although life isn't always easy here it can't compare to the hardships in some of these regions) and joined a terrorist force who embody evil and cruelty and ended up beheading an innocent man. Why did this happen? How can this have been allowed to happen? Any thinking person would want to cry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Gerry - now there's another one - a woman - and she converted into the madness ( wasn't even born into it )
      These people have brain damage - period
      And they aren't just in England - they're everywhere - it's terrifying
      xxx
      XOXO

      Delete
  28. I'm sorry that I just read this...but I'm still sending HUGE Texas hugs to you, sweet friend! I share your feelings. There's so much anger and violence going on along with happenings that I just don't understand. How can people even think of these brutal acts, much less carry them out?

    Our (really, not mine in every sense of the word!) illustrious President spends his days on the golf course rather than in his office ~ kinda like Nero fiddling while Rome burned. I'm sure my statement will not be popular, however, it's the truth! We are living in a very frightening time and the powers that be in this country just turn a deaf ear...and no sight.

    Much love,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  29. You're not a downer...you're just REAL. There's a lot of heavy stuff going on right now...how can we not be affected? It's good let it out now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  30. It is definitely OK to cry and GOOD to cry! Did you know that scientifically there is a difference in the composition of tears that we cry when happy, sad, angry, etc? It's true. God gave us tears and we should use them. They are a cathartic release for the body. I cried loads when I watched the Today show the morning after Robin Williams died...and again when Jim Foley's parents appeared. And again watching Billy Crystals tribute to Robin on the Emmys. You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo