Sunday, August 3, 2014

I know a charming neighborhood when I see one....................

We went for a stroll yesterday afternoon - to take photos of our new ( to us ) neighborhood

Although it's only 15 minutes from Downtown Montreal - this area ( and a lot of these houses ) used to be summer houses for people that lived in the city.....................over time they've all been winterized - added on to - updated and upgraded but whenever I walk around here I can imagine how it must have been - back in the day when 15 minutes away would have taken well over an hour to get to ...................some are traditional - some are quirky - some are showing signs of wear - most are charming and no 2 are alike - Each house is as unique as the people that built them once upon a time  and they all seem to tell a story.
You can imagine where each generation planted this or that - or added a storey - or a den - or in some cases had the house lifted to accommodate a basement.................

Here's a few photos I took around the new 'hood -

Loving the deep blue veranda - and the red flowers against it


Red door - teal siding - would have never chosen them but I love them now that I see them together - the flower box under the window is red as well
I even love the broom resting against the wall !


Beautiful flower box


A pretty heart wreath adorns the front door - with a heart mail box


That screen door reminds me of my childhood - love it - and the closed in porch too


Another enclosed porch - this one looks like the windows may be original - which means beautifully wavy and dimpled !


So cozy and welcoming looking !


Charming


I just adore these 2 wicker chairs facing each other instead of the street ( although John and I would probably sit there and make faces at each other LOL )


John says - GET BACK HERE - WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING ???
Suzan says - I HAVE to get a close up of this -
John says - Ok - I'm walking away
John says - What the hell are you going to say if they open the door?
Suzan says - I'm going to tell them how beautiful I think it is !!!


and wait - there's more !!!


I HAVE to find one of these - and then I HAVE to paint it yellow !!!

I wanted to ring this doorbell and ask them what color they used - it's exactly what I want -
I won't tell you what John said -
Suffice it to say I did NOT ring their bell -


Doesn't this look like an English cottage?

I've always wanted to make one of these - they're called Inukshuk and they're all over the place in Montreal gardens - ( I'm sure all over Canada - not sure about the States )


An inuksuk (plural inuksuit) [1] (from the Inuktitut: ᐃᓄᒃᓱᒃ, plural ᐃᓄᒃᓱᐃᑦ; alternatively inukshuk in English[2] or inukhuk inInuinnaqtun[3]) is a stone landmark or cairn built by humans, used by the InuitInupiatKalaallitYupik, and other peoples of the Arcticregion of North America. These structures are found from Alaska to Greenland. This region, above the Arctic Circle, is dominated by thetundra biome and has areas with few natural landmarks.
The inuksuk may have been used for navigation, as a point of reference, a marker for travel routes, fishing places, camps, hunting grounds, places of venerationdrift fences used in hunting [4] or to mark a food cache.[5] The Inupiat in northern Alaska used inuksuit to assist in the herding of caribou into contained areas for slaughter.[6] Varying in shape and size, the inuksuit have longtime roots in the Inuit culture.
Historically, the most common type of inuksuk is a single stone positioned in an upright manner.[7] There is some debate as to whether the appearance of human- or cross-shaped cairns developed in the Inuit culture before the arrival of European missionaries and explorers.[7]The size of some inuksuit sugge[4]
st that the construction was often a communal effort.
At Enukso Point on Baffin Island, there are over 100 inuksuit. The site was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1969.
if you're interested - MORE HERE WIKIPEDIA
_______________________________________________________________________________
This is such a beautiful garden - does anyone know what these blue flowers are?  Neither John or myself have ever seen them before !




A beautifully rustic fence is also on my wish list
And I'll  take an antique carriage complete with coach lights while I'm at it 
We spent far too much time trying to figure out what this is
Suzan says - OMG - they have a portable outhouse
John says - Don't be ridiculous !
Suzan says - YES - there's even a vent pipe in the roof ( and I was dead serious ) 
But John figured it out in the end - it's an ice fishing house !!!
These people also have the cutest little vintage camper - but they must be on holiday because it's missing from their driveway :(
And that was our walk....................
Oh and by the way, as small as the houses are - the trees are massive and dense - some areas almost feel like little forests

Before any of you ask me if it feels like " home " yet - it really doesn't ...................it actually feels more like my Home away from Home - .but I do know charming when I see it :)
And I happen to love Itty Bitty...................
You know it's coming, right?


Have a wonderful Monday everyone
Much love, from me
to you ♥

Partying at these fabulous parties - come along !!!
Coastal Charm                              Between Naps on the Porch            My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
A Stroll Thru Life                          Stone Gable                                    Kathe with an E
An Extraordinary Day                   Elizabeth & Co.                       Savvy Southern Style
French Country Cottage               Shabby Art Boutqiue                       Too much time on my hands
My Turn for Us

44 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS!! Do you know I hate yellow and this is the second time today I've seen it and said ooh I love that, funny hey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun neighborhood! I'd walk through there regularly. I was cracking up at the little house. Here in Texas that might be a smokehouse or BBQ shed....definitely not for ice fishing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers look like globe thistle (echinops). They come in a couple of different shades of blue. Darling neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's indeed charming... I thought the pool would have helped you feel at home...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a charming neighborhood with so much character! Love the homes and gardens!!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a fun walk! I hope you are able to feel at home one day soon. The houses in your new neighborhood are wonderful...I could feel right at home in one. Wanna be neighbors?
    xxx, T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun tour! Love the photos, Suzan. Wish my flower gardens looked like those. I think you should build a mini Stonehenge for your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun neighborhood idea! You were too polite to not mention the purple steps at the teal shingle and red door house. Those color combos always make me want to take a peek inside ;)) I hope your neighbors are as lovely as their homes. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie Sloan's "Arles" comes real close to this yellow. Especially after it has varnish for the outside. I am doing a table set this last week with this color. Love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. okey dokey you've just inspired god knows how many more projects... how the heck do you expect me to quit blogging when you keep adding more crap to my list?!!!

    Great photos Suzan, love those houses!!!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. you captured the personality of the neighborhood beautifully I love the quaint and quirkiness of it, some beautiful homes, nice and close to the city too! I love the teal and the red door!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's such a treat to see a neighbourhood where the houses don't all look alike. You know some of them will have been built by the original owner and the quirks seem so charming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Suzan what a chaming neighborhood. Each house is cuter than the next. I love that English cottage. Oh my I need to go inside that house that one made my heart beat faster to see it. Go up and ask them if it is for sale so Terry and I can move in there. Ha ha I would so be like you going up on the porches and taking pictures. I would have even sat in the wicker chairs to try them out LOL! Beautiful "hood" you live in. Love it all.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL ~ oh I would have loved it if you rang the bell. :-)

    Beautiful photos and tour.
    Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous neighbourhood. I could live quite happily in that teal house with the red door, but they're all lovely. I've been looking for a pot belly stove like that for eons. That yellow looks like Krylon Fusion yellow. I call it daffodil yellow and it one of my faves. I've used it a few times. I love how different every house looks, each one with a charm all its own. Great pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your photo's are great Suzan. Wonderful neighborhood and I love the yellow table and chair.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely neighborhood. I think the blue flower is globe thistle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to get some of them for next summer - I'm in love !
      Thanks Pamela !
      xoxo

      Delete
  18. Don't you love peeking into other people's worlds?
    The blue flowers are globe thistles. Gorgeous!!!
    The hut is an ice fishing hut to this Canadian girl's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do Heather - but isn't that true of all bloggers - that's what we do after all LOL
      XOXO

      Delete
  19. Nope. No Inuits/First Nations here. If I build it, will they come?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your charming neighbourhood! The houses are so unique and adorable. Thanks for the tour. xx Pam

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness! Each house is prettier than the next.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful neighbourhood and photos, love the gardens too. I believe the blue globe flower was an ornamental thistle, judging by the leave. Rest assured that if you decide to sell when reno's are done, with houses like the ones in this post, your investment should return well to you. That is what I keep reminding myself about The Wreak : ) (one of the worst for wear in a great location). Patty

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such charming homes! I love them all. Those blue flowers are so pretty...they almost don't look real! You live in a lovely neighborhood! Have a great evening.

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful neighborhood! I love how all the houses have their own charm, unlike todays neighborhoods with their cookie cutter homes. Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Suzan, looks to me like you have some pretty creative neighbors. Have you met any of them yet????

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your neighborhood...the houses are so charming!!
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great photos of the neighborhood. The gardens are lovely and pretty doors. I too am so loving that bright yellow. You taught me something I had never heard of an Inukshuk. Not seen one here in the U.S., maybe I will be the first. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're quite common in Alaska - just not the mainland !
      THanks so much
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  28. Aw, someone who appreciates a good country music song. :) My husband just hates it so I rarely play it. ;)

    I love the walk through your neighborhood. You did get a really great lot of pics. I feel like we took the walk with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Really charming neighborhood Suzan! I hope it feels like home to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The exchange between you and your husband is as funny as these homes are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your neighborhood is charming. I too love to walk around and "inspect' others houses and gardens. You can get lots of great ideas that way. :)
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  32. Finally back online. What beautiful tour around this quaint and gorgeous neighborhood. Good for you getting up close to take pictures. I want that stuff. Finally getting the unpacking down!!!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love this neighborhood what charming homes... the rock formation reminds me of hot springs I go to, the have them all over they are called Zen stones ... great post Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love Alan Jackson, and loved when he had his hair long! I love walking the neighborhood, each house different, no two the same! Such character and each unique story. So many pretty windows and doors. Our windows are old and dimply! What is the yellow thing anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  35. I really love the yellow porch setting - so cute - and yes you DID have to get close up of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely - how could I have shared it unless I did LMHO ???
      xoxox

      Delete
  36. Beautiful Homes... you crack me up. I wonder if anyone was inside their home with their camera... or worse, watching surveillance cameras later...wondering what that woman was doing taking pictures of their homes! ha!
    the Inuksuk...I've seen but could not tell you the name.
    In the bible... they are called an Ebenezer; meaning "The LORD helped" ...it is a stone monument laid in order for the recipient to remember a time when the LORD helped. :)
    That yellow wood stove was probably my favorite thing on your tour...
    thanks for showing it...
    now... I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great tour - where in Montreal was this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzy - this is in the West Island ( Pointe Claire to be exact )
      xxx

      Delete
    2. Really - I guess we should get off the highway once in awhile
      thanks

      Delete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo