Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Collecting Words................

Good morning everyone !

This post was not supposed to be about " words " but rather little touches I use to decorate my kitchen.

Except as I walked around it ready to snap some photos, I realized just how important :" words " obviously are in my world.

Not only do I surround myself with books - and write up a blog (almost daily) I decorate with them as well !

For instance I was going to show you how displaying a favorite cookbook on the counter can be dressed up with pretty measuring spoons - and then I realized it's the words on the book I love most of all -


I found this postcard on a trip to Paris many years ago ( maybe my first trip actually ) and found a frame to fit it perfectly -
Breakfast at Tiffany's would be perfect for any kitchen ................ I especially love that it's mostly black and white like my kitchen - but once again - I love the words
It reminds me of Paris - and New York - and one of my Favorite actresses from one of my favorite movies.
This sat in my dining room in my last place - but I much prefer it in the kitchen where I spend a lot of time


I frequently fill picture frames with " words " as well - I have a several in my living room - and in our last home I had a gallery wall of framed famous quotes................

Here's a small miniature one - with a simple message - that sits on the kitchen counter  ( the words get changed frequently in this frame )


Instead of throwing out old cutting boards - I repurpose them this way




In fact if anyone had of asked me ( before today's post ) if I had a recurring " theme " of decorating - I would have said definitely NOT because things are being changed up daily or weekly or at the very least monthly in my world................
But now I realize that isn't true at all
That no matter how I decorate


Or what style I'm currently in love with


Or which house I'm living in for that matter


I've always had a " theme " - a signature I suppose you'd call it if you wanted to be pretentious about the whole thing LOL




And that in fact, for me to love any space


I call home


I have to have my beloved words all around me in order for it to feel like
( Home Sweet Home - dollar store rub on decal - isn't the font great? )



Some people collect China
Some people collect Hearts ( to see an amazing collection click HERE )
I realize now - I collect words

“Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by 

mankind.” 

― Rudyard Kipling


 I am shamelessly addicted.................................
AND this is only the kitchen - is it a sign of madness?  Probably


so I'll leave you with how this post was supposed to go -  pretty measuring spoons dressing up a cookbook


Have a wonderful day everyone !
I'll announce the winner tomorrow ( the book arrives today according to the tracking number )
Much love,

My words and I will be at these fabulous parties this week!

The Charm of Home                               French Country Cottage                    Redoux Interiors
My Turn For Us                                     Simple Nature Decor                         The Shabby Nest
CraftOManiac                                        Funky Junk Interiors                          One More Time Events
Life on Lakeshore Drive                         Redhead can Decorate                      That's what Che Said
Between Naps on the Porch                   Sand & Sisal                              The Scoop
A Stroll Thru Life                                   Kathe with an E                                 Cupcakes & Crinoline    Homestories A to Z                               Savvy Southern Style                          Knick of Time  
The DIY Dreamer                                 Ivy & Elephants                           My Romantic Home
From my Front Porch to Yours           

26 comments:

  1. That does look pretty with the measuring spoons. Words are my favourite thing at your blog. As much as I love seeing what beautiful transformations you've made, the words between you and John are always making me laugh. Can't tell you how many times I have been sitting at night reading your blog and laughing out loud. Then I have to read it to Jules because he wants to know what's so funny LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Suzan. Love all your "words" in your decor. They are all so great. I love that knife holder I think that is my fave. Have a wonderful day my friend.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. No words can describe how much I love your kitchen, Suzan. You've done a fantastic job.

    Very cute post. Maybe I should trade my lust of dishes for words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rita - I think it may look better in photos than in real life LOL
      You're the best
      XOXOX

      Delete
  4. If I am looking for a cute blog post this is it! Lot's of creativity here. Have a great Labor Day weekend.

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much Susan !
      There's be lots of Labor being done this Labor day weekend lol - you have a great one too!
      Big Montreal Hugs right back at ya!
      xox

      Delete
  5. I so enjoyed reading all your word signs.
    I have a few hanging up in my kitchen and throughout the house as well.
    One example that I have:
    'Life is like riding a bicycle,
    you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.'
    by Claude Pepper
    Have a wonderful evening and enjoy your holiday weekend as well

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are still a "treasure". That's my word for you. I hope John appreciates you as much as your readers do. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet idea for a cookbook stand! I remember seeing a metal bar on your island. You have skillets (I think) handing from it. Where did you buy the bar? Thanks in advance for your help. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your collection of words. Very pretty collection and the Audrey Hepburn is perfect. One of my favorite actresses.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your hutch that is featured at Home Sweet Home and your book stand here is awesome! Such talent all over your house pretty Suzan!
    Have a great rest of the week and last of Summer's weekend ahead.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love decorating with words as well...I just love words in general! I expecially love the words you bless us with daily! I always look forward to my visits here...:) Have a lovely Friday!

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do so enjoy your words & your design flare...don't feel like my day is complete until I've checked out your blog. You share laughs & joy with more folks than you know. :-) Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The title is so catchy! Loved this post and seeing your adorable word decor. I collect advertising transferware and have quite a few pieces with various words like butter, milk, jam, etc. Your kitchen is so charming. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love words as décor too. We have a brass plate over our bin cavity in the kitchen bench proclaiming it 'la poubelle'...that's the bin to lesser mortals...hehehe! I frame words for my daughter often. New ones all the time. Words like 'Lovely', 'Talented', 'Considerate'...she loves it. Thankyou for another beautiful post...x

    ReplyDelete
  14. As I am an avid reader, I love all your words!!! And you do have a clever and humorous way of expressing them!!! We enjoy reading them everyday!!! And I love your kitchen, it is inspiring me to jazz mine up a bit!!!! Have a wonderful weekend!!!!! XOXOXOX Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing! Your post is making me look around my home and see what words I am sharing. Inspiring me to add some things too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty Suzan! I'm not surprised that you are a collector of words. Your words are what drew me to your blog in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! I had to laugh at the sign....."if you're looking for a sign.... might have to make one of those! Great post Suzan!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your style Suzan and all the words you share with us. Thank you for sharing at Share It One More Time. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Alas, I too am addicted to WORDS!!! I have to stop myself from buying/making more word art because I have it in almost ever nook and cranny in my house! Love the "if you're looking for a sign" sign!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all of your 'words'. Such a fun idea to share them all and inspire us. I'm more of a number person {insert wow, that Mary Beth is boring}. I have so many items with French typography and in particular the #5. I think I need to broaden my horizons! Thanks so much for sharing at Project Inspire{d}. Pinning to our party board.

    ReplyDelete
  21. that is an awesome collection - i love it ---- have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm addicted to numbers lately! I hope you'll stop by my blog and see what I mean :-)I I'm sure I could get addicted to words too... I love the simpleness of words and numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful Suzan! Love the Home Sweet Home font!

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo