Friday, April 3, 2015

A Friday chat ( about this & that

One of my favorite movies was on this week - My Life with Michael Keaton ( there's something wild and wacky and wonderful about that man )
Anyway at one point I say " Oh, look who's in the movie - I didn't remember her in at all "

Now you should know that when I want to point out someone I NEVER divulge names - it's a game I play
and it's a game I love almost as much as scrabble to be honest with you - because John very seldom knows who it is - and on the off chance that he does, he never gets the name right.  NEVER.

John says - Oh Yeah !
Suzan says - Bet you don't know who it is
John says - Of course I do
( these are the rules - we must always say the above sentences first )
Suzan says - What's her name ?
John says - Queen LAFITTA, he says with great pride.
Suzan says - Would she be related to Queen Latifah do  you think?
John says - Oh go boil your head.

GO. BOIL. YOUR. HEAD.

He says that a lot....................
I always thought it meant that someone should fill a pot with boiling water and stick their head in it, a very strange thing to tell someone - but better, I guess, then telling someone to Piss Off ( another very British thing to say ) John's too much of a gentleman to say THAT to me.
This week for some reason I decided to google it to see where it derived from.
Curiosity can kill a cat.
Or a relationship.
I'm horrified.

Suzan says - Don't EVER tell me to go boil my head again !
John laughs - Why?
Suzan says - Because I now know what it means - and I can't believe you've been saying that to me all these years...............
John says - It means get lost
Suzan says - Um hmmm....................it also means PISS OFF apparently
John roared.

And then I flew to my desk to write it all down because I felt you should  know about it - you know - in case any of your better halves tell you to " go boil your head "
Although ignorance is bliss sometimes - you really should know that they don't mean what it sounds like.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Another thing he says is

" do you think I came over on a banana boat? "

Which always makes me stop whatever I'm doing - immediately - and sing out  loudly - at the top of my lungs  DAY - O - ME SAY DAY O -

He usually begs me not to start that again

" Come Mr. Tally man - tally me bananas "  while I sort of " limbo " around

Every now and then I shake things up with " Yes - we've got no bananas "

It's important to keep an element of surprise in a relationship - I don't like to be too predictable.

We have some very meaningful conversations in this house, the Tally man and myself.
_________________________________________________________________________________

We played Scrabble this week.
John has never beat me at a game of Scrabble -
Not once.
I'm not bragging -
( okay - so I'm bragging but it's the truth ! )

John says - I don't know how you do it - but I know you're cheating
Suzan says - How on earth can you cheat at scrabble ?
John says - That's what I'm trying to figure out

I don't know how most people play - but I have words lined up in advance - I always know where I'm going next - John however treats Scrabble like a Chess game - he sits there rubbing his chin - rearranging his letters - counting out the squares - it can sometimes take 10 minutes each round
All he's missing is a pipe for crying out loud.
After this tortuous wait - I quickly lay my tiles down in 5 seconds and wait another 10 to 15 minutes while he weighs his options.

Suzan says - That's it - we're using the timer from now on - this is ridiculous - I could clean the house while waiting
John says - What do you mean we're using a timer?
Suzan says - It comes with the game John - and it's there for a reason - you're supposed to get a word before the sand runs out
John says - Why does everything have to be fast with you - we have to whiz through a game now?  It's supposed to be a relaxing pastime - and you need time to concentrate you know - I don't want to just throw down any word there - I'm looking for the highest value when I play - not like you - throwing them all down there without giving it any thought

He gently nudged me because I'd nodded off waiting for him - and I'm NOT joking - I had time to take a freaking nap !
And then I won.
Tally man tallied up the points.
422 points to 230

John says - I'm not playing this with you any more
Suzan says - Why not?
John says - Because you're cheating - I KNOW it and you know it..............
________________________________________________________________________________

I have a very weird thing in my phyche  ( well I have far too many weird things )
If someone tells me they have a cold - I get a cold.
If someone tells me they have a headache - I get a headache
If someone tells me they've cut themselves - I cut myself
So with Ashley ( my daughter ) being pregnant .........................
I'm gaining weight.
Precisely in the general area where a pregnant woman gains weight.

Suzan says - OMG - I think I'm having a sympathetic pregnancy ( rubbing my belly )
John says - YOU'RE PREGNANT??????????????????
Suzan says - No - It means I'm sharing Ashley's symptom's with her.
John says - Maybe it's just all the chocolate you've been gorging on ?  Or the second helpings ?  Or the cakes ?  Or the
Suzan says - Oh go boil your head.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Have a wonderful Easter or Seder everyone !
Hope you have help cleaning up after it




I'm off to train Soda...................if that dog can load a dishwasher - she can at least help me peel vegetables.
Hugs,
Me

10 comments:

  1. HAHAHA, you two are so funny. I've never heard "Go boil your head" and my background is all English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been missing these conversations with all the packing up my in-laws and trying to downsize their stuff. I thought right away...why aren't they timing it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have LOVED to have seen John's face when he said "You're pregnant?????" !!!

    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been told to go boil my head, thank goodness:):) Another wonderful pist, thanks for the laughs. Have a happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I have never heard that expression and I grew up with 2 (not off the banana boat) Brits in the family. Sweet dog video. My 3 can lick a plate clean in under a minute does that count as helping with the dishes? All my dishes go through the sanitize cycle for this reason. xo Patty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzan, I used to play Scrabble with my husband and I always accused him of cheating too. He would make up words and I would challenge them. He would drag out his hundred year old dictionary that is the size of my car and sure enough, that word would be in there. We laughed about it for years. After he died I sat down to the dining room table with my daughter-in-law and grandkids to play a game of Scrabble and as soon as I made my first word my husband's picture fell off the shelf of my hutch. We all got google eyed and oooh'd and awwww'd and put the picture back. Next time it was my turn his picture fell off the shelf again. I am convinced he was making fun of me (in a fun way). We all got a laugh after that. Now that I think about it, I haven't played Scrabble since that night. It's time I did. Great post. Go boil your brain. LOLOLOL I'm going to remember that and borrow it sometime. LOL Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! My husband is way smarter than I am, but he never beats me at Jeopardy or Trivial Pursuit. My claim to fame and glory in the house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilarious!!!! Happy Easter Suzan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So funny Suzan. I don't play board games with my husband any more. He never lets me win. Glad you found out what the saying meant. I had never heard that before.
    Thanks for stopping by Timeless Treasures with a nice comment.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Suzan, I've missed you so! I've been so ridiculously busy that I haven't had time to visit blogs, but I knew if I came here, you'd brighten my day, and "GO BOIL YOUR HEAD" did it for me! That video is hilarious! Oh, if I could train my dog to cook, I would! The best she does, though is lick the dishes as I load them into the dishwasher!

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo