Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Jambalaya !

Good morning everyone !

Can anyone - I mean really ( and I'm curious to know ) read these lines and not know what they mean?


Or can John really be the only English speaking person on the planet that can look at it and not have a clue what it is?
I KNOW they played American songs in the UK so there's no excuse !

John looks at me horrified - you know that face someone gives you when they think you're insane?

John says - That's the most nonsensical thing I've ever seen
Suzan says - What?
John says - That sign you made - Pick Guitar - Pick Fruit - Be Gay
Suzan says - FILL FRUIT JAR - not pick fruit !
John says - Well whatever it says - it's ridiculous - where do you come up with these things?
John says - Is it a political statement?
Suzan says - What are you talking about here?
John says - IT'S CLEAR WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT SUZAN - IT SAYS " BE GAY "

O.M.G. -
Sometimes there's a lull in our conversations and I worry that they're finished and then he comes up with something like this and all is well in my world.

Fence plank project # 3,544,231 ( or so it feels like )


Suzan says -  I made it for the outside " dining " area
Suzan says - Doesn't it bring to mind hot nights - loud music - wine - happiness?
John gives me that same look again
John says - Not at all.


Suzan says - I'm making another sign that says JAMBALAYA, CRAWFISH PIE, FILE GUMBO
( very sure at this point he'll break into an embarrassed grin and say " Oh - I get it " )
Uh Uh -
John gives me that look again for the 3rd time..............
John says - I think you're touched.

I dry brushed the plank with Annie Sloan Pure White - used 2 different stencils and a sharpie





And it wasn't until I started singing it that he said " Oh - I never knew the words to that song "
John says - They're still nonsensical aren't they?  Fill fruit jar with what?

Suzan says - With apricots
Suzan says - Booze John - they mean Booze
John says - Well you wouldn't put booze in a fruit jar - that's ridiculous
Suzan says - Not half as ridiculous as our conversations my cher amio

Son of a gun - we have big fun - in this asylum.................

To see some of my other Fence plank projects you can click on the below links
They were on sale last fall..............and we bought a ton of them.............we created a plank wall in the den which I never posted about - but I also used them for all of the following !

kitchen Island  HERE


den book shelves HERE



Christmas tree HERE


Rustic / Glam Frame HERE


faux fire place HERE


And I still have a few more projects in mind ...................one of which I'm dying to share !!!

This is how Emeril does Jambalaya
Here's the RECIPE


Ingredients
12 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
4 ounces chicken, diced
1 tablespoon Creole seasoning, recipe follows
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce
3/4 cup rice
3 cups chicken stock
5 ounces Andouille sausage, sliced
Salt and pepper

Directions
In a bowl combine shrimp, chicken and Creole seasoning, and work in seasoning well. In a large saucepan heat oil over high heat with onion, pepper and celery, 3 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, bay leaves, Worcestershire and hot sauces. Stir in rice and slowly add broth. Reduce heat to medium and cook until rice absorbs liquid and becomes tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. When rice is just tender add shrimp and chicken mixture and sausage. Cook until meat is done, about 10 minutes more. Season to taste with salt, pepper and Creole seasoning.

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.

Yield: 2/3 cup

Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/cajun-jambalaya-recipe2.html?oc=linkback


and this is how Waylon does it



Even a 4 year old would recognize the lyrics lol too cute for words !



Have a great day everyone
Fill a fruit jar at the end of it lol !
Much love,
Me



LOOKING FOR INSPIRATION?
JOIN ME AT THESE FABULOUS PARTIES !

THE DIY DREAMER                                              MY SALVAGED TREASURES
TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS                    MY TURN FOR US
FUNKY JUNK INTERIORS                                  PIECED PASTIMES
ONE MORE TIME EVENTS                                  I SHOULD BE MOPPING THE FLOOR
BETWEEN NAPS ON THE PORCH                     COASTAL CHARM
STONE GABLE                                                      I GOTTA CREATE

22 comments:

  1. Too funny ! : ) I still read old novels where they might describe a fun party as 'a gay affair" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Louisiana gal thinks it's the cutest thing evah! And if you make the other sign, just remember it's "file gumbo". We would never make a gumbo out of steak. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. John, you're wrong on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit ~ it took me a bit before I recognized it! Love that song!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny! That little guy sure can play the squeeze box!! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzan, your conversation is hilarious and the video is adorable. :))) You just have to look at John with a big smile and say "Yes dear!" in a gentle voice... and do what you want. lol :))))
    Apparently John didn't/doesn't hang with the Loozianna crowd. lol
    ~ Christina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your board sign. Just gotta be a country music fan I guess to understand your sign.
    Thought of Waylon right away when I read the words Jambalaya and Gumbo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Booze; also known as Moon Shine John. Moon Shine, of which they drank from a jar

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cool. John I don't know where to start, SORRY

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor John, he's been under the same rock as my husband the chemist! (I have to explain commercials to him that make me roll around on the floor with laughter, when he asks what's so funny?) I love your sign and what you've done with all of those planks! You are really very CREATIVE! (Any more "ramshackle" garages in the planks' future?) Tee-hee! Sorry about that! Thank you so much for your lovely replies yesterday! P.S. Have you received any birth announcements from Mrs. Mouse? Thank you for saving her!--Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention: I went to school with a girl named Gay, but that was in the '60's thru the '70's, when "all our hearts were young and gay", or maybe in your case, and some of your reader's cases, not even born yet. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh...I recognized it right away! This post cracked me up...poor John! LOL! If he only knew how we pick on him! You get the award for most creative uses of fence boards!

    Hugs, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cutest video I've seen in a long time. Hunter Hayes is still around according to youtube. Love your plank sayings. Makes me happy. My family comes out of Oklahoma, so I'm fairly familiar with Jambalya. :-) Thanks Suzan, fun post as always!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hysterical! Magoo doesn't know song lyrics, either. They can start a club.
    "Son of a gun, we have big fun in this asylum" should be the next sign, Suze!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 🎵 ... son of a gun, we have good fun on the bayou. Oh yeah! 🎵. Freaking hilarious - you do keep him on his toes, don't you?! xo Patty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me gotta go pole the pirogue down the bayou....
    I adore your cute sign....
    out our dining room french doors, 5 steps and there's the pool...
    I'm making a sign to go over the glass doors...
    SPLISH SPLASH......BOBBY DARIN......1958
    still trying to decide what i want on the other set of doors....fun fun

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never heard it before. Not a country music fan. You could put the sign up and have the music playing when other people see it. Then, they might get it, but if they're like me, they still won't have a clue. The words aren't clear enough to slap me up side the head and take notice. Oh, well...at least you have made a conversation starter! Just keep the lyrics close by to show them what you're talking about! {sidling out of the room now.}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard it, either...Maybe it just never made it to Ohio where/when we were around? I kinda like it, but I like zydeco more than country...It is fun, but I think I would have given you that same look as your sweetie...

      Delete
  17. When I read your post title that song started going through my head. Ha, guess you have to be from the South (or just listen to country music!) to get it. Poor John. Good thing he has you!
    :-D
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sign looks terrific and it will be perfect in the garden or where ever you want to place it. Poor John, he doesn't have a clue.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. That little boy is such a cutie and so talented. I get it now, but it took me a while, lol. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Son of a gun, that little boy is adorable! Love all of your plank projects, Suzan! So happy you linked up at Best of the Weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo