Tuesday, April 14, 2015

MASHED BRUSSELS

And I don't mean smashed Brussels - which would involve hitting a Belgian over the head with something or other.


I call everything " mashed " - I know that some people say, for instance, " smashed potatoes " but in my world they're Mashed Potatoes or Mashed Turnips and Carrots - or Mashed Cauliflower

OR  glorious mashed  Brussel Sprouts  ( these are all good recipes to keep on hand as we get older and lose our teeth too )

This is how I make 'em.

First I cut an X in the bottom of them.
Why do I cut an X in the bottom of them?
I have no idea.

John's Mother did it - and so I must now always do it - get it?
It's the Yorkshire way don't you know?
( and I'm not going to argue with the part of the world that gave us Yorkshire pudding - no way )

He claims it removes some of the bitterness when cooking - maybe it does.


Then you boil them until there's not an ounce of nutrition left in them.
( this is important - the nutritions must be evaporated and floating around in the atmosphere - take deep breaths over the pot if you want to capture some of them )


Once they're soft ( very soft ) you add butter - and without letting John know - you add
Garlic
Chili Peppers
and a pinch of steak spice


And serve it with sweet potatoes made with butter and brown sugar
and a steak fresh off the grill
( then contemplate cropping out the photo so that it looks like you only ate 2 of those potatoes )


John says - These look different
Suzan says - Well I followed your Mom's recipe
John says - No you didn't - there's something different about them
John says - Did you cut the X ?
John says - And what's all these specks in there?
John says - It's just supposed to be butter
Suzan says - Bon Appetit sweetheart !

Total calories?
Fuggedaboudit - you only live once.
If you want to live longer you will NOT eat this every day or even every week - but now and again its perfectly fine to almost faint from food joy, right?

Bitter - Sweet - Spicy - Hot -
It's a party on your pallette LOL !

John's sitting there roaring -
John says - You kill me when you take pictures of our dinner
Suzan says - Oh be quiet
John says - Who do you think you are Julia Child?
Suzan says - Listen - Julia would have hit you over the head with a frying pan for being so fussy
( she didn't suffer fools gladly )

And I don't think I'm Julia Child by the way...............

Have a wonderful Tuesday everyone............
Hope it's a Ruby one by the time you say good-bye to it

I very very seriously have to start my diet...................
Eventually.
Much love,
Me




LOOKING FOR INSPIRATION?
JOIN ME AT THESE FABULOUS PARTIES !

FLUSTER BUSTER                                                  HAVE A DAILY CUP OF MRS. OLSON
THE UPTOWN ACORN                                          IVY & ELEPHANTS
TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS                      LOVE BAKES GOOD CAKES
THE GIRL CREATIVE                                             ONE MORE TIME EVENTS
I SHOULD BE MOPPING THE FLOOR                 UNCOMMON DESIGNS
THE CHARM OF HOME
SAVVY SOUTHERN STYLE

30 comments:

  1. Too funny! In my neck of the woods, smashed potatoes refer to mashed potatoes with the skins left on, and mashed potatoes are peeled. Probably 500 miles down the road, the folks there have a completely different vernacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, my friend ~ but to me, BSprouts are THE most disgusting food in the universe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brussel sprouts were never a favourite of mine and in fact, we never ate them when I was growing up. My first taste that I can recall was when I lived in an apartment with 2 of my best girlfriends and one of them loved to cook. One night she cooked Brussel sprouts and also made a delicious dessert but, we had to eat our sprouts before we could have dessert! I ate my sprouts....they weren't that bad....and enjoyed my dessert too! :) Honestly, I think I may have cooked them once in almost 38 years of marriage. I may just have to try them again though. That steak sure look yummy. I hope to get the grill cleaned out tonight. I think the squirrel has been hiding seeds in it all winter. Gross!! I did bring the grills and rack in for the winter though, thank goodness. Sunny and windy here after morning rain. Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good will have to try it as I watch my carbs. Poor John, he never knows what happening next LOL.
    Have a terrific week Suzan.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzan, everything looks delicious! Beautiful presentations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzan, I'm with Linda.. mm mm good! Makes me want to try my California friend's recipe for roasted Brussel Sprouts. Probably takes all nutrition and sends it packing as well. lol
    Beats making teeny tiny shredded Sprouts for teeny tiny portions of cole slaw. lol.
    also.... diet? we don't need no stinkin' diet! lol
    ~ Christina

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister does an X too, so I do. Sounds lovely, will mash them up next time. Don't tell John but I butter and sprinkle them with steak spice too. Yummy! Now I need to go buy some 😃. xo Patty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't laugh- When I make Brussel sprouts -which is not often...I cook them until they are crisp-tender about 5-7 mins, and then I put about a 1/2 tsp NUTMEG on them, butter, garlic powder, salt & pepper & 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. The nutmeg takes all the bitterness out of them. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always give me a chuckle.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have some in the fridge... I usually roast them, stinks up the house! I'll smash them next time, sounds yummy! Butter makes everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're just so dang bitter but....if X marks the bitter spot, I just might give them another go...maybe...:)

    ReplyDelete

  12. Suzan, two places I researched say this:

    Some people like to cut a little "X" into the sprouts' stems. The idea is that the slit will help the core cook faster, so that there's less chance of overcooking the outside while trying to get the inside cooked.

    personally, I don't eat these small cabbage-looking green blobs. But you did a good job making them look good !

    patty

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love "spruitjes", and cutting the cross helps them get done quicker. Have you tried Brussel sprout coleslaw? Just slice it up like cabbage and add a good coleslaw dressing. And don't tell anyone that they are eating "spruitjes." Your dinner looks delicious, by the way. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kinda like hot crossed buns I reckon LOL :P XOX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds delicious Susan....I will try that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks good. I can't wait to boil those little things and butter them up. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Suzan, Yum!!! I love brussel sprouts and I have heard of cutting the X but I never have. Just cut them in half, put them in with a little bacon and S&P and add chicken broth in electric fry pan and cook until soft. Always sweet and so good! Eat your veggies!!..Happy Tuesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting. I've never seen this before. Is it an English dish? I like bp, but with a little bit of bite to them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well I think you are Julia.....in fact anybody who cooks looks like Julia to me. I might try this as hubby is not here to cook for me :( Maybe I will be like Julia after I eat my own cooking...or sick and in the hospital.......

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just bought some Brussels yesterday...haven't had them in a while. Very timely post!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Never had mashed Brussels. I was just thinking that I needed to buy some this week. Will give this a try. YUM! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so delicious Jann !!!
      Thanks so much !
      xoxo

      Delete
  22. Good Evening Suzan, Well you did make me laugh. I have never made mashed brussel sprouts, but I had to smile when you mentioned that they needed to be boiled within an inch of their lives.... sorry my words, but similar to yours. Although my son in law likes to them to be boiled for no more and no less than 4 minutes.... he likes his brussels crunchy.
    Do you know I also put a cross in the bottom of the brussel sprouts, because Phyllis, my mother did and when I asked her why, she said because her mother did as well. I was once told it was because the stem was a little tough and the cross allowed the water to penetrate the stem..... but who knows, that could be just one of those word of mouth things.
    Glad to hear John enjoyed his brussel sprouts.... even with the added bits and pieces.
    As always when I visit you Suzan when it is time to leave you, it is always with a smile on my face.
    Have a lovely day.
    Best Wishes to you.
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daphne !!!
      That seems to be the consensus here - to help them soften quicker - I had no idea LOL !
      Thanks so much ( try these on your son in law - just don't tell him they're boiled that long LOL )
      xoxo

      Delete
  23. What a great idea! I love finding new ways to eat Brussels sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks good! Thanks for joining HSH!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo