Thursday, April 9, 2015

A Friday Chat ( about this & that )

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I have never gotten used to Celcius -
Here in Canada we switched to the Metric system in the 70's - that's been plenty of time, don't you think?

Although I know that 29 or 30 degrees celcius is beautifully hot - I still find myself constantly scrambling to work out the equation in my mind of what it is in Farenheit - then and only then do I think ahhhh - how wonderful !

My kids don't understand when I say - oh my gosh - it's going to be 90 degrees today - don't forget your sunscreen - but they were born into this and know nothing else.
( They also don't get - why - in their 30's I'm still reminding them to wear sun screen but that's another disorder of mine altogether and doesn't belong on this post )

Same with miles - if we're taking a road trip I still find myself converting kilometers into miles to gage how far we'll actually be going.  For instance I know that Manhattan is 350 miles from Montreal - don't ask me what it is in kilometers - and I don't feel like figuring it out right now anyway )

We work in fabric - with European mills - who, of course, all work in metric too - and yet?
I'm frantically working out what a meter is in yards when I'm purchasing fabric for myself.

And I can't - for the life of me - convert liters per mile ( of gas ) as opposed to gallons per mile.

I'm metrically challenged in all honesty.
Or as I prefer to say - I'm an Imperialist.

Just trust me when I tell you that they're calling for a lovely week ahead !
________________________________________________________________________________

I made a large batch of meat sauce this week -
I save all my glass jars to store it in - but you know - you give a jar out here and there to your kids when they visit ( in case they're starving to death and just not telling you lol ) and next thing you know - you're low on jars.
Suzan says - I need to pick up some containers.
John says - We have a ton of them in the mudroom
Suzan says - We do?
John says - Yeah - at least 8 of them
Suzan says - Oh I don't think so John - why would I have put them in the mudroom ?
John gets up - goes in the mud room - and comes out with my beloved blue bell jars - which grace the garden with tea lights all summer
John says - Here you go
Suzan says - horrified -  I CAN'T USE THEM !
John says - Why not?  I thought that's what they were for?
Suzan says - OMG - they're for my tea lights in the garden
John says - NO THEY'RE NOT !  MY MOTHER USED TO PUT HER HOME MADE MARMALADE IN THEM !!!!!!!!!!!
Suzan says - Well I save the jars from your store bought marmalade - wash them out and then use them for storage..............
John says - And somewhere - in your brain - there's logic in that, right?

Later on John says - Why are you gorging on pickles?
Suzan says - with her mouth full - I NEED THE JAR - IT'S A PERFECT SIZE..................
John says - There's not that many left - why don't you store them in a smaller jar?
Suzan says - Because I DON'T HAVE SPARE  JARS !!!!!!!!!

If we were a song -
These would be MY lyrics

When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful,
A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.
And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily,
Joyfully, playfully watching me.

And these would be John's 

But then they sent me away to teach me how to be sensible,
Logical, responsible, practical.
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable,
Clinical, intellectual, cynical.

i HAVE TO WATCH WHAT I SAY - OR HE'LL BE CALLING ME A RADICAL
LIBERAL, FANATICAL, CRIMINAL..................................
________________________________________________________________________________

Quick everyone - I need egg recipes that can be frozen - besides Quiche ( which I'll make a couple tomorrow )
He will NOT eat devilled eggs - so that's out
He's not that crazy about my chopped egg salad because there's miracle whip or mayo in it.

John does the groceries because I can't be trusted he claims - I handed over the reins quite willingly though

Eggs were on sale
3 dozen for 5.00

Plus we had a dozen in the fridge

Suzan says - WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH ALL THESE EGGS?
John says - Eat them ( there's that logic again )
Suzan says - They have a life you know !
John says - What do you mean " they have a life " are you nuts ?  They're eggs
Suzan says - A shelf life John - we can't possibly eat this many eggs that quickly

So I guess along with Spaghetti Sauces - I'll be handing out eggs to visitors as well

Here honey - here's a meat sauce - and a dozen eggs - love you !

Actually maybe I'll bake all weekend..................
Or have a give away for 2 dozen eggs - anyone interested?
_________________________________________________________________________________

Otherwise, In the news....................

THE MOST RIDICULOUS
_______________________

Georgia Trash Collector Jailed For 30 Days For Showing Up To Work Early

A Georgia trash collector will spend 30 days in jail because he showed up to work two hours before he was supposed to.
Kevin McGill, who works for the private company Waste Management Inc., showed up a few minutes after 5 a.m. one morning to pick up trash in Sandy Springs, WABC reports.
A city ordinance requires that trash only be picked up between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Because of his misdeed, McGill was sentenced to 30 days in jail, the maximum sentence he could have received. His crime of picking up trash too early was the only infraction considered by the judge who sentenced him.
He now plans to spend every weekend over the next three months in jail, so he can work during the week.
"I was stunned," McGill said, according to WABC. "I didn’t know what to think."
VICE spoke to Sandy Springs prosecutor Bill Riley who said jail time is necessary to make sure trash collectors don't start collecting garbage in the early morning hours.
"We look for the minimum punishment what will deter the crime," Riley said. "We tried forever not to put anyone in jail for these cases, but it wasn't working."
Sandy Springs spokesperson Sharon Kraun didn't immediately return a request for comment from The Huffington Post, but she told VICE, "Our residents, they like their quality of life. And that means not waking up at 5:00 AM to hear the trash can."
VICE also points to a 2012 New York Times story about Sandy Springs farming out nearly all of its services to private companies.
_________________________________________________________________

What's the sentence for being late ?  Life ?
I wonder how much something like this costs taxpayers 
( I wonder, I wonder, but I really don't want to know ) 
_________________________________________________________________________________

There's a new show on TLC !
About Little People !
Let me see now...................there's already been

Little People Big World
The Little Couple
The Little Family
Seven Little Johnstons
and now there'll be a new one - how exciting !

All they air at this point is HUGE people or LITTLE people..................
Or people with huge families.

Surreal.
And I keep watching.
I think I'm turning into one of those ornery people who just like to complain actually -
God help me.

or·ner·y
ˈôrn(ə)rē/
adjective
NORTH AMERICANinformal
  1. bad-tempered and combative.
    "some hogs are just mean and ornery"
_________________________________________________________________________________

I wanted to watch GOING CLEAR - the Scientology documentary.

But HBO Canada wouldn't let it be shown for fear of repercussions from the " church "

( Tom Cruise went to elementary school in Ottawa - our Country's capitol - maybe they're afraid he'll show up and jump up and down all over their furniture like he did on Oprah? ) 

This Country has the wimpiest policies - I mean really - when you're afraid of Scientologists ..................

ENGLAND has the mighty LION as their national animal
The U.S has the fearless EAGLE as theirs
AUSTRALIA'S KANGAROO will kick you to the ground in a heart beat

And Canada?
We've got the BEAVER - be careful or he'll gnaw you to death !!!
Or scurry back under that ferocious damn he's built and hide.
In case you sue him.

Oh Canada we stand on guard for thee ..........................♪♫

source
We're the Leave it to Beaver's of the Western World - and we don't give a damn ! ( unless you ask nicely ) 
________________________________________________________________________________

Tokyo recently named GODZILLA as their official  tourism Ambassador.
What a twisted way to say  " WELCOME !!! "
That's like using Freddy Krugar as a Maitre D' - don't you think?
________________________________________________________________________________

Ok - I have to ask my Son in Law if he can download ( upload? sideways load? ) a copy of that documentary.
If anyone from the Canadian Government is reading this - I'm NOT talking about the Scientology documentary  

Have a wonderful weekend every one !
Much love from here...............
to there ( wherever your there may be )
Me,

19 comments:

  1. OMG Suzan...what can I say, except I simply cried out loud laughing all the way thru your post. lol! Starting from your Metric Impaired self...I can relate to that, as here in Ecuador is the same as in Canada and I am American and after 40 years living here I always have to make hubs translate everything for me, till now!!!
    I love the Beaver, so cute, hahahaaa...You made my day, I even read to my husband and he thought was funny to death!
    My DD Alex was just recently in Vancouver cause her fiancé's daughter studies there and they went to visit her.
    Have a great weekend dear.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least the beaver is a symbol of productivity! "Busy as a beaver." He may not be intimidating but he can work circles around the other animals...
    If the US would adopt metric as measurement, maybe we could all get on the same page and eliminate miles, fahrenheit, etc. Dare to dream.
    And to add a thought for consideration on the trash man's dilemma: I think it may be easy to picture 'picking up trash' as a person on foot with a neon vest and a pokey stick. More realistically, he was probably a guy with a monstrous truck that (very loudly) extends its arm to lift and empty enormous metal dumpsters. I do not know this for sure since the first time I saw the story was here on your blog, but as someone who has witnessed a dumpster dump in the early morning hours, I can see how it would become a problem in the community. Perhaps the judge was awoken by this racket and was cranky as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup we bet the giant rodent as our emblem.... misguided from the very start! I save the jars from preserves from local farmers market, marmalade - you name it! Dave as he empties the dishwasher - are wr keeping all these jars? Some are missing lids... Me - yes, don't ask questions just put them away. Dave - But, no lids?... Me - I can buy new inserts just put them away pls. Dave - I don't understand ... Me - if they are in the dishwasher I USE them, just put them away! Dave - putting them away muttering .... I don't know why we keep them all.... The game of life continues, stay tuned! xo Patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two "metric" problems: my weight and my height. I can't for the life of me make sense of that in metric, although I have no idea what a kilo of meat is in pounds, nor what 2 meters is in feet. There's this weird disconnect when it comes to myself in metric. For everything else Imperial confounds me. Go figure.

    As for Going Clear it's easily downloaded - that's how we saw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even thought to mention that - but there's no way I think of myself in kilo's but I just ran and converted it online and since the number's much smaller I may start using it LOL !!!
      Bon fin semaine !
      xxx

      Delete
  5. A fun post today Suzan. I do not have to convert the temperature or speed anymore. I memorized it years ago although sometimes I have to look at my old thermometer that has both F and C on it when I want to relate the temperature to my American friends. LOL Yes, I've got Celsius ingrained in my brain. It's currently 1C and freezing rain here. Come on spring weather. Get a move on here in the Maritimes. Have a super weekend Suzan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. You're always good for a good belly laugh
    Sent you an email by the way

    ReplyDelete
  7. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SMUvWgKtLA

    Right. Right. You're bloody well right. And here we go again:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SQGJmgnEI8

    Send a :) and show you <3

    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL Too many pickles and too many eggs! LOVE your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. loved your post today. Most towns here stateside tell the residents to have their trash out the night before so they can pick up early. It was a real treat when we were up in Chicago area after Christmas and found out our grandson no longer requires everyone to get up at a little after 5 a.m. on Thursdays to see the "dump dump" (as he calls the garage truck) do its stuff. Yea for getting older for 4-year-olds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh. I couldn't figure out why anybody would want to do the metric system. They always threatened we would switch and I'd be out of luck.
    I had no idea your mascot was the Beaver.
    I love jars! We drink out of the new blue Ball jars. Tea lights is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm completely lost when it comes to the metric system, but at least I don't really have to know it. It drives me crazy when I'm on vacation somewhere and they give the temperatures in celcius, and I don't know EXACTLY how hot it is! Now, with all those eggs, if you were Jewish, you'd go through all four dozen during Passover, because it seems the only things we can eat are eggs and matzoh :) Leave it to Beaver? You kill me! I'm hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, jail for being early to work? So the residents can sleep... *sigh*

    Enjoy your glorious weather!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh, I hate the metric system. Glad the States never converted or I'd be doing like you...changing everything back just so it would make sense to me. As for the eggs, just bake lots of cookies and stuff that need eggs. You'll get through them fast that way. I save jars or recycle them. Better to use than plastic! Love your Friday chats. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post today Suzan. Have you ever made pickled eggs before? We usually make 18 or so at a time and they keep for quite a while in the fridge. You do need a big jar though and I know you're jar challenged right now. ;) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YUCK ! Sorry - I hate them ( now I sound like John I know LMHO )
      I'll have to come up with another plan - but thanks :)
      Happy Weekend to you too !
      xoxo

      Delete
  15. The U.S. tried to go metric maybe about the same time Canada did. We failed miserably. So, why can I only buy a 2-liter bottle of Coke? At the same time, I can buy a case of 12 oz. cans. It doesn't make any sense. I remember long ago we vacationed in Canada. I had difficulty using the "inner" kilometer markings on my speedometer. When I filled up with gas, I couldn't figure out how much I was paying per gallon. It shouldn't have mattered. One compares prices to other gas stations in the vicinity, not to gas prices in the U.S., which was hundreds of miles away at that time! Similarly, when selecting a cut of meat to grill at the campsite, why was I trying to figure out the price per pound when I should have compared the price per kilo to another kind of meat in a different package? After all, it didn't matter that the price in pounds was hundreds of miles away in the U. S.! Geez...Oh, about your country's symbol, the beaver. At least you could make a coat out of yours. Here, if you're caught with an eagle feather, you could be fined and serve time in jail! About you being ornery...I got you beat! Someone called me a curmudgeon. Look that one up, missy! Thank you again for the Friday night laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just discovered your blog today and I have to tell you this is absolutely the funniest, most riotous post I've ever read!! I can't stop cackling, I mean laughing, like a crazed idiot! I'm an avid follower of your blog now.....it's great! Thanks for making my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thanks so much Lynney ( do I have that right? )
      There's quite a few Friday chats - things that strike me as funny get put in there generally !
      ( things that upset me end up in my ' rants ' LOL )
      Welcome to my world ( won't you come on in? ) XOXOOX

      Delete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo