Monday, December 3, 2012

The magic of words........and why I blog

 source


What did I do before my blog?  Well. I tried desperately to explain myself to people - very dear and close friends in fact.
Often, lol
Doesn't everyone " get " why I have a constant need to change things out?
Doesn't everyone spend abnormal amounts of time decorating a mantel - only to take it down and start over?
Doesn't everyone see why I sometimes have to paint a room over again a month later just because it doesn't "feel" right?
Apparently not.
But here, here in my little corner of the blogmosphere I am understood - and more importantly I'm completely normal.  In fact I'd be considered a little strange if I didn't do any of the above.

“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” 
― C.S. Lewis


I was clueless when I sat down to write my first post - and very intimidated ( being severely handicapped in the tech department ) and it was only through friendships made - and the help of many that I was able to navigate myself around this wonderful world - friends that encouraged me - taught me - gave me much needed advice - and made me realize that maybe, just maybe, I could do this

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” 
― A.A. Milne



Some days are great - some days are obviously not so great
and some days nothing you do seems to turn out right - when bad news just keeps coming at you
and no matter how much you try to duck and sway and manoeuvre yourself away from it, you just
can't escape it.

“Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.” 
― A.A. Milne

 

And that's where blogging has become my life line - where it connects me magically into a world
where I fit seamlessly,
Where friends gather to comment and spread love, sometimes at just the moment when you need
it most.  At night, when I sit down to answer emails - I smile as I type - every single time - at every
single comment.

“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.” 
― A.A. MilneWinnie-the-Pooh


As blogs grow it's sometimes too easy to just send 1 liner comments - always heartfelt but quick and
to the point because there are just too many to answer - to visit - too many parties to link up to - and in the midst of that it's sometimes too easy to forget the woman who is sitting behind that keyboard.
Sometimes I drop a line to a blogging friend I haven't heard from in awhile - just to make sure she is ok - that I'm thinking of her and hoping all is ok in her world.

“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh?" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you.” 
― A.A. MilneWinnie-the-Pooh


I'm not going to say who sent this to me on friday - it's up to her to reveal herself if she chooses - because
they are, after all, her words not mine, but these words came at just the moment when I so desperately needed to hear them.  At the exact moment in fact ( minutes after hearing some particularly distressing news )

And just so you know, your furniture stays in my head.  It's really just awesome. I'll be doing something around the house, completely unrelated to anything in the blog world, and a piece of your furniture will come to mind.  I predict that pretty soon you'll be able to live in one of those houses you post... there's no way your business is not going to soar.  I've seen a lot of furniture posts on blogs, and some were nice (really nice, even) but I don't remember one of them.  Not one.  Nor the sites.  Yours, I do.  And I know I'm not the only one.  And now I'm done singing your awesomeness, lol.  Geez.  I just meant to say I love your re-
dos, but I still meant every word. "

A big beautiful bouquet of words just for me - and they couldn't have made me any happier if they had
come gift wrapped to my door by a delivery man.

“Why did you do all this for me?" he asked. "I don't deserve it. I've never done anything for you.'
You have been my friend,' replied Charlotte. 'That in itself is a tremendous thing.” 
― E.B. WhiteCharlotte's Web


And at the end of the day - hope really is that thing with feathers - attached to an angel - who takes the time
to sit down and write words that can make me lift my head and well, hope.
A random email by a stranger?
I think not.......................
They were kind words - well thought out words - special words written by a new friend with ME in mind and they somehow floated from my screen and settled themselves into the deepest corner of my heart.  They made me realize just how connected we all are on this journey of ours - and how profoundly happy I am that I became a blogger.

“How do you spell 'love'?" - Piglet
"You don't spell it...you feel it." - Pooh” 
― A.A. Milne



Sharing with
I should be mopping the floor ( New year's Party! )
http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/12/mop-it-up-mondays-48-new-years-eve.html


33 comments:

  1. As a fairly new blogger, I love this post. I'm still trying to figure out why I'm blogging but this is very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post.....I've only had my blog, not quiet a year....and I started as a way to show people my crafts....then I thought, wow, I might can sell this stuff.....then it became an outlet where I could share and learn from people all over the world....and, I'm the story teller in the family...and I love sharing parts of my life with my blogging friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah!
      On July 27th I started this blog - sat down and wrote up a post - and then never returned to it until last year - so though I've had a site for 5 years, I've really only been blogging for a year - so like you, I'm fairly new to this............
      Much love,
      Suzan

      Delete
  3. Beautiful words, Suzy, spoken from the heart. I feel the same. Much love and many blessings to you!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post Suzan! And what a great comment you received from whomever. I think "beautiful bouquet of words" is a lovely way to decribe it!! It's true....we do all seem to be a little more understood in the blog world. It's kind of a warm, happy place and I've made more than a few good friends here....you being one of them! Thanks for putting it all down on paper....or I mean...screen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post Suzie. I think that blogging has exposed all of us bloggers to similar-minded people that we would probably never have "met" (virtually) otherwise. Touching comments such as those you received really can make your day and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful gift to receive! And I agree with her. Plus, I'd like to add how I always look forward to your posts - they bring a smile and lighten my heart. I started my blog (less than a year ago too!) as a way to show the progression of changes to our new place and found a whole new bunch of friends - and I count you as one of them! Thank you.
    hugs and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww...that was beautiful...the thought and the person that wrote it and YOU! You always make me smile and I come away with a treat for the eyes and a treat for the soul because I have visited you.

    Ummm...girl that left comment might NOT want to reveal herself..because other re-does might wonder why she doesn't like THEIR furniture best!;>) xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post, Suzan! Love all those quotations, especially the C.S. Lewis one. So true. Glad you've found that the blogging community loves you, cuz we do!♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you're a gem of a gem. This is such a nice post. :)

    Totally agreeing w/the paint thing. I painted my kitchen soft peach, it came out light orange. Ew. Hubby didn't want me to re-do it, but I had to... and now I love the warm beige. Things just don't 'feel' right when the paint is ugly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just this weekend (I swear, scout's honor) I was staring at a room in my house that may need a redo (because it's been at least a month since I redid the last room!!!) and I thought 'What would Suzan do to the furniture?'. Since you're too far away to get your work direct, I must try and channel your Suzan-ness for inspiration. True dat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sweet that someone took the time to tell you that you make a difference in her life in such a delightful comment.

    Crap. Now I feel guilty for only leaving you drabs of stupidity in my comments...and bad language.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh I couldn't have expressed how I feel any better!!! You like read my mind!! Really great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is awesome. My favorite thing you said Blogging is where it connects me magically into a world where I fit seamlessly. I think lots of us are surrounded by people in our everyday lives that just don't get why we have to move this room around or why we can't just leave that piece of furniture the way it is. Blogging has given me the ability to connect with those who understand me. Thank you for this post it was fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a great post and so speaks to all I feel on a dailey basis out here in blogland. I like you used to drive family & friends crazy telling them about my stuff & what I wanted to paint or repaint and now that I'm a blogger lucky for them that has subsided (although i still love them to praise me lol) it's the comments I get from fellow bloggers that thrill & excite cause you all know the time & effort that goes into our projects not to mentions love & sweat

    ReplyDelete
  15. People in blog land just seem to get it!
    Lovely encouraging words for you to hear too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do - we're all cut from the same cloth for sure!
      Her words ( as everyone's ) touched my heart,
      Deeply
      Big hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  16. Some people are genuine, some put on a show for others, I can say without a doubt, I believe you're quite a genuine person who really appreciates and loves her blogging friends and has room in your heart for all of us. So, holding back the tears as I read today's blog, it's heartwarming to know that OUR comments bring a smile to your face and joy to your heart, much in the same way you do for us...I love the things you share, and I understand completely what our blogging friend means when she says, " a piece of your furniture will come to mind" and, no, she's not alone in her feelings, I so enjoy taking house tours with you and actually look forward to it :D And before I break out into a full on cry, I just want to say Thank you <3 Co

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now I have a lump the size of an apple in my throat - what an emotional bunch of ladies we are - thank you SO MUCH for your sweet comment I'm feeling completely wrapped in everyone's arms today - and I'm overwhelmed - I feel I don't give back enough - and really have to work on that but you are 100% right when you say you feel it's genuine - it really is - I DO feel very connected to all of you XXX
      Warmest tightest hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
    2. Awwwwww, Now you did it! YOU went and made me cry...I'm just a silly girl

      Hugs back to you <3 Co

      Delete
  17. Isn't it amazing? I've been blogging less than a year, I don't have a lot of people following my blog, but I already feel like I have "friends" out there in blog land. Some of my posts have been read by people in, it seems like, almost every country in the world. I am stunned and humbled. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Suzan!!

    It's so nice to hear words that take a special place in your heart. I showed a so called friend(I sound say an acquaintance)my hobby of collecting vintage woman's apparel and jewelery, compacts and lipsticks that I had displayed on my bedroom wall. For example, I would have a blue hat with a blue purse beside it and in the purse would be a compact and lipstick. Then to finish the look I would have a necklace to match to finish it off.

    Well, because of her comment(Umph, it's a lot of old stuff, then walked out of my bedroom) I haven't shown anybody my hobby in the house we just moved into a year ago, but, because of you, just being you, I am getting stronger and stronger to let people see what I do.

    I consider you a friend, my fellow Montreal-er, you give me inspiration, you send me and everyone else those absolutely beautiful homes in a very missed city. I know next time I get out that way, I am going to give you a call and we going to have some great laughs.

    Your talent and decorating ideas are your own and each time I get an email from your blog, I know that I won't be disappointed, in fact I know that I will say, "How can I get that out here and where will I put it?" And I can't even tell you how much I laugh at your conversations with the hubby!!

    Well, Sweets I think you know how I feel. Keep those emails coming and don't let anybody change you, because you are beautiful as you are!!

    Pam
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked this post. You hit the blogging nail on the head with it.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful post, Suzan. And so true...online friends that 'get' you can really make a difference in your life. Your friend wrote truthful, wonderful words that must have changed your day. And like she said, she isn't the only one that feels that way, as we can see from all the replies you get to your posts.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah my dear. You deserve it. Those words are beautiful. Your blog is inspirational. So happy for you and where this blog is leading you to. Hopefully someday you will have the chance to meet all your cyber friends. I am so lucky to be living in the same city

    Big hugs
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  22. Suzan, this post is awesome!! I agree with ALL of the other comments. You're amazing!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stacy - the Queen of Decor!
      Hope all is well in your world - big hugs,
      SUzan

      Delete
  23. Well...Suzan....usually I leave your post busting a gut and laughing til tears run down my face and my nose is dripping - as my husband stares at me like I've lost my mind.

    THIS post left me with a lump in my throat and a sudden and intense longing to wrap you up in a great big {HUG}, sweetie. Blogging has brought friends into my life who share my loves, my desires, my hopes, my dreams and my beliefs. I treasure each and every one of them. I blog not only because I feel the love, but because it's a way to spread that love around, too. ♥ I adore you, my northern friend. Totally. Just like Pooh. :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Suzan, Some of us struggle with this blog thing, but it all comes so naturally to you. Like many have said you are so genuine and funny and very talented. Even though we have never met I feel so connected to you in so many ways. Your blog always brightens my day, and I love escaping to fancy houses with you on Wednesdays. The person that wrote that lovely letter to you feels the same way we all do about you. We are not just your followers we are your blogging family and we care very much about you. hugs Tobey

    ReplyDelete
  25. Even my girlfriends know you (even if they sometimes roll their eyes)when I tell them something my friend Suzan in Montreal is doing. It may seem strange to have so many friends I've never met but I feel Melly in Australia, Jutta in Africa, Poppy in Greece, Danni in Missouri and Laura and Laurie who already commented, all 'get' me and I certainly get them. We'll still get each other as our lives take twists and turns. You are not my imaginary friends; you are very real to me! I agree 100% with all that you wrote!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are real.
    You are hilarious.
    You are interesting and interested.
    You are a good friend that I just haven't met in person.
    You are talented and creative.
    You are attractive.
    You are outgoing and fun loving.
    You are John's better half.
    You are made of awesome!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo