Friday, March 1, 2013

Dresser - before and after ( bedroom update )

Good morning - TGIF - seriously LOL - a before and after dresser and far far too many hyperlinks of which you do not have to click on any of them................

Ok - let's see now - I've shown you the bed HERE
I've shown you the little bench John made HERE
I've shown you partial glimpses of the floor HERE

Now I'm ready to show you the dresser - if you remember this was a steal I had found on Craig's list - the whole set for 25.00 ( if you missed that post you can find it HERE  ( a lot of hyper links, I know lol )

Here's the before in all of it's Hepplewhite Glory!!!


Beautiful lines - beautiful bowed drawers - beautiful handles - but needing some love most desperately -
And so I painted loved her -
Until she looked like this

Hepplewhite, furniture, before and after, white,

Painted, furniture,dresser, hepplewhite, white

I kept it pristine because I didn't want the entire room " shabby " - with the white floor - and the shabby bench it would have ended up looking too " forced " in my humble opinion...............had I gone with a soft blue I could have gotten away with shabbifying it ( my word ) but I wanted everything in this dark cavernous room to be WHITE.  I used Rust-o-leum Painters Touch - it took about half a quart - in white high gloss - water based.

I had 2 identical tall mirrors that seem to end up on every dresser I change to actually - I put them side by side and they fit the width to a " T "


Then I had to move the John Denver art work I did - you can see that HERE ( sorry but someone may have missed one of these posts - and it's very important that everyone see everything I do lol ) to paint the other side of the floor - and just propped it up on the dresser in the mean time - AND I kind of like it there!
I hung one of the drop cloth wreaths - should I link it - nah - okay - you can find the tutorial HERE

Pallet Board, art, John Denver,

I have other mirrors in the room - so may leave it like this for a little bit -

Remember when I discovered a way to get a Patina on the handles? ( the last time I promise - but you can find that post HERE ) well I embellished them a little - until I came up with this ( and took away the whole look I was going for - so they may very well all be painted black in the near future ) sometimes your " vision " works - sometimes it doesn't - but you don't know unless you try, right?  And anything can be fixed!


my little reminders of Paris made their way on to the dresser of course - which I mostly decorated with white


I painted that Eiffel Tower white last year - it used to be a bronze color


my Keep Calm and Carry On miniature - that I printed and framed in this little glitzy frame I found at Home Sense.............and I don't care if it's out of vogue now - I still love it - and since John hails from Across the Pond, it seems fitting, right?

and the room is almost done - I'm trying my best do a full reveal on Monday - but the floor had to be
done in 3 sections - not fun - and then each section takes 3 coats of paint - and 3 coats of polyurethane, so it's been pretty time consuming when you factor in drying time.................

Hepplewhite, dresser, painted, white,



Have a great weekend everyone - another little glimpse of the floor perhaps?
Can't help myself - I'm in love with it ( hope the love affair lasts a little longer than usual in this case )

floors, white, painted

and that's all for now - I've also painted a ladder white - revamped and painted Soda's dog bed ( she seemed to be getting jealous that our bed got a make over - and I tried to explain to her that our bed was her bed but she pouted none the less ) and I did some artwork.................

Thanks so much for the feature - it's such a thrill!
Classy Clutter

Sharing with
Funky Junk Interiors                                  Simple Home Life                           I Heart Nap Time
Life on Lakeshore Drive                            Nifty Thrifty Things                         Classy Clutter
Craft-o-maniac                                          Homemaker on a Dime                  Uncommon Designs
Keeping it Simple                                      Under the Table and Dreaming       The Dedicated House
Home Stories A to Z                                 Not Just a Housewife                     Homa Style
Homework                                               A Diamond in the Stuff                    Clean and Scentsible
Savvy Southern Style                                DIY by Design                                Domestically Speaking
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson               No Minimalist Here                         I Gotta Create
Katherine's Corner                                   Rooted in Thyme                             The Charm of Home
Craftionary                                               My Romantic Home                        One more time
Miss Mustard Seed

63 comments:

  1. Oh it turned out sooo pretty, love the handles too! - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out gorgeous! I love that style of dresser with the curved front! Great lines!

    Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this--I have a bowfront (Hepplewhite, also--my fave) ready for me. I am thinking about painting the case, which is in pretty bad shape, and staining the drawers. Not sure yet, and it's too cold to do anything right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job Suzan! This bedroom is coming along beautifully and I cannont wait to see those floors. I think you're probably going to have to get rid of that black Peyton Place robe and get a white one though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are operating in parallel universes. I am in the process (ha! thinking about it is part of the process, right?)of making my bedroom all white. Yours looks exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your room is lovely and more so because you did it all. How do you get such a good finish in gloss paint, do you use a brush or roller, or spray? I like gloss on some things but afraid it will look rough, so haven't attempted it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, Suzan. You know I'm a big fan of your Annie's Song sign. I would come to your Canadian house and steal it if I wasn't so far away. But wait...I do have friends there. Hmmmm, you might want to lock up extra good tonite. ; )
    I could never have a white room...piggy hubby and piggy dogs. You enjoy that wonderland!
    xo, T.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have so many wonderful things, and a good deal of them you made yourself. I think that's the ultimate in cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, the dresser turned out beautiful!!!
    I'm so jealous that you got such a beautiful set for $25?lol
    The handles are just gorgeous, great transformation, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SO much Sayuri!!!
      That was a once in a life time deal - most definitely!!!
      Have a great wknd,
      Hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  10. Wow!!! Suzan what a beautiful transformation. The dresser is stunning. Love the white floor too. Everything so beautiful.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a room for romance!

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  12. love love love everything lol ill be back im clicking thru your links lol of coarse caz im a blk & wht fiend i say paint them handle lol ;) have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a genius! I looooove the final result

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the dresser and its handles! What we can see from the room so far is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how lovely and your vignette is so pretty. I love the bow front and it definitely shows it's full character painted. Beautiful. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  16. That dresser turned out beautifully and I just love the high gloss finish-I have a taller version of that dresser that got quite scrated up in the move so I may borrow that idea from you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am in love with your floor too. I want a white painted floor so bad. Maybe when we finally get to our bedroom...

    ReplyDelete
  18. It turned out beautiful! I can't wait to see the whole bedroom reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, girl! You are soooo talented! Love the dresser in all of her pristine-ness! And that floor.......to DIE for!!!!! Does this mean that John will definitely have to de-shoe himself when he walks into that room....? lol

    Looking forward to the big reveal!!!!!!!!! ♥

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to hear all about the floor, and I'm curious about the paint you used. I've been wanting to paint our ugly terrazzo floor in our Florida room, which is not as cool as painting wood, but it needs it desperately. Have you painted a floor before or is this the first time? Looks great so far from the partial glimpse!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the pallet art, Suzan! And the dresser redo is fabulous.
    Thank you so much for not including a photo of John Denver. If I ever win a free trip to the John Denver shrine, I promise I will send it to you. :-) (But I do love Annie's Song.♫) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the lacquer look on that dresser! I think it's pretty clever to mix upscale and pristine with some simple and shabby. Of course you accessories are perfect for the room!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the dresser! I agree, keep it clean...too much shabby in a room can overwhelm it. Love the handles too...great job! ~LK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!!
      There's quite a bit of shabby going on elsewhere - this would have looked just too much!!!
      Thanks re the handles :)
      XOX

      Delete
  24. Love this piece and painting it just gives it a new life. I've been looking for a similar piece with a hutch, no luck yet but I'll keep on the hunt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That has got to go down as the steal of a lifetime. Why can't I find these? There are a lot of zeros added to $25 for something like that in this neck of the woods. Anyways, I digress.....the dresser looks AMAZING>

    QUESTION: Did you prime it first or can the Rustoleum go right over the finish like chalk paint? Sometimes I want a high gloss finish too, but hate priming.

    Can't wait to see the full reveal on Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll never happen again - really - it was just an unbelievable find ( actually gave them an extra 25.00 because I felt so guilty lol )
      I didn't prime it - and I should have - will do so with the matching Tall Boy - just sanded it very lightly -
      XOX

      Delete
  26. Oh, I love the dresser. Love how glossy and not distressed it is. And, I totally love distressed furniture, but this just looks so pretty. Love how you styled it, too. So simple and special looking.

    Have a great weekend!
    Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SO much Angela!!!
      I have other distressed things going on in the room :)
      And then there's me ( oh wait - that's not distressed - that's just STRESSED )
      LMHO
      Hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  27. Beautiful as usual, my friend! The dresser is spectacular. I'm insanely jealous you got all that for $25!! You lucked out big time. Love the Paris touches too...sigh, ready to go back any time!

    Have a wonderful week-end,

    Nicole
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh it's gorgeous and I have just the place for it, when can you bring it over, giggle. Happy weekend wishes to you and Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop, your participation is what makes it so much fun. Come back to Katherines Corner,I posted the new giveaway today! xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the dresser and I really love the pallet art on top of it! They just seem to go together. Looking forward for the whole reveal!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very nice. I love that my cursor turns into a little glass with red star things falling from it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick!!!
      That's me, drinking a martini - and sharing lol
      XOX

      Delete
  31. The dresser is gorgeous. My, how you can transform furniture. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Not sure what I luv the most... the beautifully painted dresser, or the floor!!Now they way you placed the special pieces on the top... luv that as well.
    Great Job Suzan.
    Hugs, Gee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Gee - you're so SWEET!
      Hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  33. i am so envious of yor room being white.i have been wanting to do mine white for the last couple of years but still havn't done it yet...love dee xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love everything you have done to the room, it is gorgeous. You put so much detail in to everything you do, like an artist painting a portrait. And your room is a beautiful master piece. I have one question, Soda? Why do I not recall seeing or hearing about Soda, is this a cat or a dog, a playmate for Maggie when we finally meet somewhere between British Columbia and Quebec lol
    hope your having an amazing weekend, hugs Tobey

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow!! What an amazing transformation! You did an awesome job! I love the high gloss white you chose..so lovely!
    Found you on Life on Lakeshore Drive link party!
    Selene @ restorationbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Suzan!!!!!

    !!!!!!!!!AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

    My goodness girl, you have a gorgeous bedroom and it's so much lighter!!!
    You know what I'm going to say...I'm doing the happy dance!!!

    Enjoy the rest of the weekend!!

    Pam
    xox
    (I do love using the !!!! button too much, but, your room looks GREAT!!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, Suzan-You sure loved her back to life. Great job on it and I love the bit of gloss in the room. I, too, don't think you have to make everything shabby to get the "look". I like the interplay of clean lines and a bit of shabbiness here and there. The room is looking GREAT! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the transformations and I certainly do not mind the link backs so I can help my feeble mind remember how you accomplish something. Thank you for the last glimpse of the floor with the dresser. Your bedroom seems so glamorous - fit for a queen. Oh, right, one lives there :>)

    P.S. Soda is already white - isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Suzan, I became a follower today. What a goreous dresser -- and the bureau, are you redoing that too (or already done?) for the master bedroom? I am not necessarily a fan of always distress all the time re-dos; I like the look of spanking new no scratches and faux-"wear" sanded marks on otherwise perfectly finished furniture. That being said, I am wondering if you painted over genuine tiger-maple (solid wood or veneer)? EEK! Surely not (she says to herself, with fingers crossed). Am also very very curious -- just what kind of look did you envision for the classic Hepplewhite hardware? And, finally, as a blog reader I always do appreciate links back to important prior posts that show the development of a room and/or piece of furniture/design/whatever over time. Sure beats hunting around for prior or background info when you're really interested in learning more about the ongoing story. So please, I do hope you will continue to provide them. They are a pain in the neck to do, of course, because as blogger you have to go back and find them yourself, LOL! But as a reader I sure do appreciate the time saved and the thoughtfulness of the blogger in saving that time for me. It's the little things tht count a lot, as the old song goes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd paint over solid gold Jan if it didn't go with my decor lol - I know it offends a lot of people - BUT paint can always be sanded - stripped - away - I never think of it as permanent or as damaging a piece when people are basically ready to toss them into the land fill..............at the very least I keep them away from THAT. I was hoping to get the handles to look like a very old patina - which I came pretty close to and then ruined by trying to add other colors.........they will probably be spray painted black shortly..... ( although the blue goes with the walls for now )
      And thanks so much for your thoughts on hyper links - I always feel like I'm " pushing " people to go back and look at things - nice to know there's some that appreciate it - so I'll continue ( maybe not as many as this post has LOL )
      Thanks so much for following - ( I'm following too!!! )
      Big hugs from Montreal
      ( Don's Country )
      XOX

      Delete
  40. So cute. Your room sure looks peaceful. What a great little spot you've created there. I never thought I was a white person, I love color, but you make it look so lovely, and refreshing, I might have just been converted :)

    I've always wanted to try my hand at refinishing furniture, but never have yet. Tell me it's really not THAT hard, please, lol.

    I love all the links Suzan, I think it's super helpful when you are referring to something to link to it, in case someone wants to check it out. I need to do more links in my posts too.

    Have a wonderful day!
    Hugs, Bella :)
    Bella's 40 Day Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great job! Beautiful photos.
    Homa Style is having a link party that ends Tuesday evening.
    I would love to see this at the party!
    The link is
    http://homastyle.com/wp/2013/02/27/inspire-me-link-party/

    I do all I can to help promote links to my parties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - just linked up - and am your newest follower
      Hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  42. That looks awesome! You did a great jobb with that dresser.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your bedroom looks gorgeous! I love the dresser, and it's the perfect place for the pallet art! So glad you made Soda happy, too!! All that work on your floor paid off!! It looks great great. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent! Enjoy the rest of your week.
    XOXO
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  44. You did an amazing make over. Great talent! Looks like a nice place to relax. Thanks for joining the hop today -
    Co- host
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Leigh!!!!
      ( and thanks for having me )
      Hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  45. Love this transformation! Wonderful job! Your vignettes are lovely also! Have a wonderful week!
    sandy :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is so pretty...I want to hit a yard sale and see what I can find to fix up. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Very nice. I love the shape of the dresser. What a transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow you are amazing...Just Beautiful...Thank you so much for sharing and linking up to Share it One More Time Events.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love the sleek curves of this dresser...and so much more with paint.
    I love it. JustAGirl had a high boy one with the same hardware that she painted and when I saw yours it made me smile. I was thinking...now...if I could just get both of them to part with the pieces...I could have a set. :)
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love it all Suzan and oh, that floor!!!! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo