Friday, March 8, 2013

I love a fixer upper - but this is ridiculous........

Vancouver, British Columbia - the below photos and prices are found at The Thirties Grind
A blog run by Melissa - if you have the chance - go visit - what a great site!

It's beautiful there, it really is ( I lived there as a child ) and I've been back as an adult -
It's Canada's California I suppose.......................with house prices that reflect that
But this?
This is borderline insanity.....................

2.2 million - looks like Canada's version of  Grey Gardens to me.....................

_________________________________________________________________________________

955,000 - ok come on now people - are you for real?
What do you think - is that a fair price for a garden shed?
Although it's a fair sized garden shed most definitely................

_________________________________________________________________________________

655,000 dollars for this one - not so bad right?  It's quite adorable actually - expensive but adorable


OH SORRY - I DIDN'T READ IT PROPERLY - IT'S 655,000 FOR THE 1 BEDROOM BASEMENT SUITE........................
LET ME REPEAT THAT - IT'S 655,000 FOR THE 1 BEDROOM BASEMENT SUITE....................
LET ME REPEAT THAT - no never mind - think I'll just go vomit instead.
_________________________________________________________________________________

499,000 - ok now we're talking - under half a mill at least
Ma and Pa Kettle had better accommodations than this...........................
It's a Shack!!!!!!!!!!
And it ain't a Sugar Shack let me tell ya!

________________________________________________________________________________

This is alright I suppose - a little small, but alright - hmmm do you think that water feature is worth the
6 MILLION DOLLARS THEY ARE ASKING FOR THIS HOUSE?????????????

 _________________________________________________________________________________

789,000 will get you this beaut - ok at this point I'm snorting with laughter - but it's not funny really - this is not funny at all...................... can you imagine the conversation between the home owner and the realtor?

Realtor - No, I cannot get you a million for this
Homeowner - Well it has a lot of features
Realtor - True - and it IS a two storey
Homeowner - Do you think I should paint?
Realtor - No - I wouldn't bother - we're listing it just under 800,000 - it's a steal at that price

________________________________________________________________________________

Remember these little bungalows?  For 3.2 million dollars it can be yours!
WHY WHY WHY IN GOD'S NAME WOULDN'T YOU MOVE TO MANHATTAN AND HAVE A LUXURY PREWAR APARTMENT FOR THAT PRICE?


 _________________________________________________________________________________

and if 3 million is a little steep for you - well there's this one for 900,000
can you see the potential?  Come on - add some shutters - a railing - it would be night and day..........
( neither can I )
_________________________________________________________________________________

and I saved the cream of the crop for last - wouldn't you just love to get your hands on this one?
can you see your kids happily playing on the lawn?
1,200,000.00
would love to see the interior................
NOT

Thanks so much to  The 30's Grind for originally posting these -  
Go by and check her out - she's hilarious!  Don't tell her I've basically stolen her content
All photos are from her blog -  I'm giving full credit here Melissa!!!
Feel free to use one of my I WANNA live there's for comparisons..................

Canada's California?
Well - it never rains in California - but Girl don't they warn ya.....................
It never stops raining in B.C. -
Oh and just to put things in perspective, remember this one- I WANNA live there No. 28 - In San Francisco - In Nobb Hill to be precise
3,200,000


and 6 million for this


Have a good one all,  John's given me his cold, lovely - just freaking lovely.....................


OH I ALMOST FORGOT - ON TUESDAY OF NEXT WEEK - THERE'S A FEW OF US
( AHEM ) LADIES WHO ARE HOSTING A TONGUE IN CHEEK TUESDAY LINKY
PARTY!  BE SURE TO COME BY - AND LINK UP - THE THEME IS JUNK - AND WHERE
WE STORE IT..............YOUR POST WILL APPEAR ON ALL 5 BLOGS!!!


34 comments:

  1. This amazes me 3 of our Capitol cities are apparently the most expensive places in the world and I have never seen anything like some of those. The two story hmmm lovely! They make my place actually look like a freakin mansion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a millionaire in Vancouver holds very little clout, doesn't it? :)

    I hope your cold clears up soon! Happy weekend.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay... you know what my Canadian mom would say about this---she'd blame the large immigrant population. (Her mom was a Brit, so she feels like "her people 'own' Canada.) My husband and I crack up at the prices on TV shows--I guess our house would be worth double what it is north of the border. Meanwhile, if we had to move to Canada, we'd have to live in a cardboard box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, that is hillarious! Awful, but hillarious. I am sure most of these will sell in no time flat. And I thought housing prices were sky high where I live!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...wish I owned real estate in BC. Maybe I should move the United States of Danni there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good grief! If I had that kind of money I'd buy a little cottage in Yorkshire!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unbelievable... who, in their right mind would pay that money for that crap? Perhaps they just pay for the land and tear down the run down ones? (Too bad my 8 acres isn't in Vancouver) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL- Oh, Lord, girl! You gave me a smile this morning. I think I need to move my house to BC. It is beautiful there. I remember visiting my friend there in 1994 and, even then, the prices were triple for housing (compared to stateside). Amazing...and to think these places will probably actually sell. Hope you get over your cold soon- darn husbands! I told you to sleep with a pillow between you...oh...wait...that was to prevent menopausal pregnancy...never mind......xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. What kind of median income is required to support that level of housing prices? As the U.S. just demonstrated (and has demonstrated before (80's), and will demonstrate again, cuz we don't seem to learn), it is dangerous to overinflate housing prices. Very, very dangerous. Economy go boom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I wish I had some property to sell there, then I could retire in style!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has to be the land they are selling and these houses are tear-downs. They actually appear to be blow-downs. Call in the three little pigs and the big bad wolf!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woah! It's hard to believe that these houses could actually sell for that price. I'd like to see the people who would pay that kind of money for 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too funny!
    I'm sorry you have a cold; the bombay should help :)
    Get feeling beter, friend!
    ~ Megin of VMG206

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I had to laugh. As a former resident of Vancouver, and moved out of the city..yes, indeed, the housing is THAT BAD! I left when they went on the rise..all over the Lower Mainland, the housing prices are awful, but it doesn't stop people from moving in..lol. I moved about 3 hours away up the coast..and live 2 blocks from the ocean, and a few million dollars cheaper..:D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds heavenly - 2 blocks from the ocean - hang on to it - it'll be worth millions in a couple of years when they have no more space on the Lower Mainland lol
      XOX

      Delete
  15. I cannot see myself moving into one of those heaps of junk. Quite possibly the salaries usually reflect the cost of living. You gave me a real chuckle...btw your Paris Grey piece was featured on Annie Sloan unfolded facebook page last week. rest my dear!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I had no idea prices were that high in BC. When I think I wanted to move there when I was young. I wonder where I would be living now. A dog kennel, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is there an over crowding problem in Canada? Are those prices for real? Seriously WTH?

    Bottle of Grey Goose outta cure what ails 'ya.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh. My. Word. I am stunned speechless. I'll take Nobb Hill San Fran thankyouverymuch. Will they seriously get SIX MILLION DOLLARS for that place? It looks like a water problem just waiting to happen, and a horrid allergy pit at that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love me a fixer upper...but not paying that much! that is just plain crazy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good Golly Miss Molly!! What kind of crazy would make somebody pay that kind of money to live in that kind of house? Even if Vancouver looked like Eden, I can't imagine living like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Betsy - you made me laugh out loud !!!!
      They're paying that for the LAND - they tear down those houses I'm sure - and build mini mansions -
      Supply and demand I guess!
      XOX

      Delete
  21. Oh my gosh!!!!! And OUR buyers thought WEEEEE were asking too much for our lake house...???? Geeez Louise!!!! lol! I have never seen anything so ridiculous and hilarious, Suzan!! Seriously....they don't sell, do they????

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, there is a difference between Canadian dollars and U.S. dollars. Is that being taken into account? Even so, the prices are outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Canadian and the U.S. dollar are practically on par now...............so no that's not it -
      But there's parts of California - where it's the same.
      This is the land obviously - they are not buying these for the houses - most of them are demolished and mini mansions sprout up in their place.
      XOX

      Delete
  23. Unbelievable! How can anyone afford to live there? I mean there are waitresses, secretaries, construction workers and a million other people who cannot afford these types of houses. Where do they all live?

    Yes, it's gorgeous. Yes, the magnolias are probably blooming right now. Yes, the mountains and the sea are there. But if you can't afford a house there, what's the point.

    I'll stick to Ontario - still expensive, but not outrageous. That's just plain old robbery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's just the lower Mainland where it's highest I believe............
      Obviously regular folk cannot live there, period..
      XOX

      Delete
  24. If I could only move my completely renovated income property to BC, I'd be retired in luxury! sigh

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry you got the bug. Hope you are up and at 'em for the party!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  26. These house prices are the reason we did not buy out here. For the price they want for a house in BC we can buy a farm in Ontario lol . Kamloops is not as bad for prices as some of the properties you featured, but I have seen trailer homes for $200,000. I feel bad for anyone just starting out, I do not know how they can afford the mortgage payments. Who buys these places, certainly not us with our income. Going to have to keep buying those lottery tickets. hugs Tobey

    ReplyDelete
  27. Location, location. Those shacks won't be there long. Tear down and spend millions rebuilding. Our neighbourhood has crazy prices imo but not anything like Vancouver. Thanks for sharing this fun (and yes crazy) look at booming Vancouver real estate.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Maybe the prices will collapse in that area too. Prices are finally going back up here. Even though they report huge percent increases, it will take probably twenty years to reach the old prices in some parts of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Vancouver. Isn't that where the Chinese have taken over. They have a goodly share of billionaires, I think, from the communist/capitalist economy they run. Those w/ connections can make out like bandits. Hey, same in the good old USA........

    I looked at a nice 1950ish house in northern Virginia about 10 years ago. it should have been affordable, but it was being sold for the lot, not the house. Only about 3/4 million $$$$. Prolly would be 3 or 4 million today. Thems that has, spend, the rest of us budget.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo