Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I WANNA live there # 29

I live in a pretty incredible area - in Montreal, It's an historical neighbourhood loaded with tons and tons and tons of charm - and 20th century architecture, just steps away from the city center, it's also a pretty expensive neighbourhood  - which I live in servants quarters  compared to what I'm surrounded by 
Because there are days I don't have furniture makeovers to show you - I've chosen Wednesdays to showcase and feature one home that's for sale around here.................( or apartment - or duplex - or teepee )
Keep in mind this is in the heart of the city - so the prices reflect that  - think Manhattan - where these places would cost 3 or 4 times what they're listed for here!
On occasion I'll showcase beautiful homes in other areas - countries - continents - the one thing most of them will have have in common will be their age - because I love old homes with stories to tell, I'd love to have you come along!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Today's post is a little different - and you'll see why after the photos of the 2nd house

We're back in Montreal today folks.
Beautiful Victorian townhouse with greystone facade in the heart of the Shaughnessy Village. This home boasts large spacious rooms ,outstanding woodwork,stained glass,skylights,large exterior terrace,many extras. Bachelor with separate entrance. Not to be missed.

3 bedrooms
2 full baths - 1 half
built in 1900
Bachelor apartment with separate entrance downstairs
can be rented out
1,295,000.00
Realtor HERE

Manhattan has Brownstones - Montreal has Greystones ( sometimes referred to as the Grey Ladies ) 





Back stairs - back in the day a lot of these houses had back stairs for the staff


Front stairs


at one time this would have been another bedroom - most definitely!!!
what a great way to convert a small room - bonus - it has a window

we do love our exposed brick in this city
check out the matching Barcelona chairs ( a personal favorite of mine )
have a seat - taste some wine



Now we come to the bonus apartment - which you can rent out ( but what a great space this would be  for teenage children, or an in-law suite, right? )







Next one up
A spectacular renovated 3-storey residence with traditional architectural values and stunning contemporary finishes plus garage and garden. Located on the flat, near Westmount Park but close to all the amenities of Green Ave and Victoria village. The Sunny Kitchen and open family room could easily be featured in any current décor magazine.
5 Bdrms
3 baths
1 1/2 bath
Built in 1922
#2,100,000.00
Realtor HERE





























Ok - now we're going to get a little simpler here - 
Here's where this post takes a slight twist - we are actually considering selling and moving ourselves!
OUT OF THE CITY.
I showcased this house once - long long ago - 
Just a simple little turn of the century Farmhouse - located in Lancaster, Ontario
And for some reason I cannot get it out of my head.
I'm dreaming - and that's a dangerous thing....................


I'm in too deep - I'm falling in love ( even though I'm fighting it ) 
It's completely irrational - like all love at first sight's are but
I keep going back to this home over and over and over again
and decorating it in my mind
I haven't seen it in person yet but something about this century old farmhouse
speaks to me 
I've never lived in the country 
I've been a city girl all my life 
but lately I find myself yearning for land
and quiet
and a new project
Why this one keeps calling out to me I have no idea
I've checked out bigger, better, less work involved ones
but it does
every night 
when I'm finished writing up my posts
( especially the I WANNA live there posts ) 
I go back and visit for awhile

Once you start envisioning changes you would make to a property
over and over again



you've kind of " had " it I think
when out of the blue the house starts
speaking to you
don't look at the color of my walls, it says 
look at my pocket doors instead
or my bay window
can you make me a window seat, it asks?
 let your imagination run wild, it urges
it would be so easy
to put your own stamp on me, it whispers
and it entices

and entices
every single time

So me thinks it may just be time to make an appointment to see this house since it's begging me to, 
and see what it says to me in person.  I can't keep ignoring it after all, that would just be rude.
Could this be my actual " I WANNA live there " ?
Why yes - I think it just could be..................

What do you think?
Am I crazy?  Does anyone else see the potential here?
Can I go from a " SEX IN THE CITY " type of gal - to a LASSIE episode in one fell swoop?
Here's the way my brain works - nothing has to be permanent - I can go - I can try - 
and I can either conquer or accept defeat - but nothing can ever stop me from trying
and coming back if it doesn't " feel " right, right?
My entire life it just felt like " me " to wake up in a mini version of a 
" city that never sleeps " even when all my friends moved to the suburbs, I stayed
firmly planted - deep deep roots connecting me to the bright lights - the traffic noise - 
the people - the sirens - the action - the " pulse " of the city.
BUT maybe, just maybe, I'm ready to wake up with a blue bird on my shoulder.............
Yep, 
It's a fact
It's actual
Everything is satisfactual

to be continued................


Sharing with!
Common Ground                                   French Country Cottage                    A Little Knick Knack
Life on Lakeshore Drive                       I should be mopping the floor             Savvy Southern Style
Adorned from Above                             French Country Cottage                My Romantic Home
Under the Table and Dreaming

26 comments:

  1. House # 1 has a great apartment and living room, however the kitchen doesn't look like 1.7 mill. Also I would have to change the kitchen and bathroom flooring because I hate dark grout. What is that by the staircase? A bar fridge?

    House 2 is my cup of tea 100%. I can picture 2 nice chairs in that family room facing the sofa.

    House 3 is quaint and cute but lots of work which you are good at. And yes the dormer window over the toilet has to go.

    I've always wanted to live in the city. We stayed in the suburbs because of prices and kids, but now I would love to be in the city. Or a village in England because that would be my dream location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the exposed stone and brick walls in house #1. Love the kitchen and baths in #2. Gorgeous tour!!! Love #3...I hope everything goes well as you consider what to do!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those brick walls and hardwood floors! Move to the country Suzan....you'll love it! My big advice....make sure you have a creek a brook a pond...some kind of water! You'll never look back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, zippity-do-dah! My daughter would say "stay", I would say "go"...just not too far out.
    I will tell you that this house reminds me of the quaint little houses around here and I just love it. When Barndywine is "done," if it ever is, I want a house in the country. But I don't think my husband would lie it too much, as he loves the 'walkability' of our neighborhood. So we're of two minds.
    (But projects are good--they keep you out of trouble.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like all the open space of both houses, the staircases and bannisters, but not the Jetson furniture of the first house. I'd like a blank check to purchase new furniture for it. :-) I like the exposed brick too, just enough, not all, to make it interesting.

    BUT, Suzan, I can't imagine you moving to the countryside. What???! I had an entirely different picture of you from everything you've shown us in the past. I thought you were a ♫'New York is where I'd rather stay; I get allergic smelling hay♪' kind of girl. But that is a darling farmhouse. Love the woodwork, but boy would you have your work cut out for you! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First up the houses: Great open floor plans on both of them...and while they are beautiful the 2nd one has a "cold" feel to it to me. And, not crazy about some of the furniture in either house-but that's just me.

    Home in the country- I say GO FOR IT. How far would John have to drive to work? I can absolutely see you out there working at that place to make it beautiful. I know it could me a small "country manor" when you are done with it. The bones are there-they just need to be aligned. It is a big change to move from city to country or vice-versa. I grew up in the country and moved to town. I love the convenience of town but not the distractions I find there. Right now I live right on the edge of the city and it is a perfect fit....close enough to go to the grocers, etc, but far enough out to enjoy the peace of country, too.
    AND...guess what? If you hate it you can always sell (and make a few bucks for all your hard work) and moe bacck to the city again.
    You need to go look at it because if you don't it will haunt you. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. That farmhouse is wonderful! I live in the country and I love it, but then I am a homebody. The negatives would be that you can't just walk or drive a couple blocks to get paint, groceries or gas, or see a movie or go to dinner. We spend a lot of money on gas, there are no buses or transport of any kind. Also, there is a lot more outdoor work, mowing huge lawns, clearing snow, etc. I do like the space around me, the peacefulness and the wild animals and stars at night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was so much fun Suzan! I loved the tours of the the houses, thank you so much for sharing, and the country home is very inviting....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can so see the potential in that house! Now, is John falling in love with it as well? That would be a plus! You must go and see it... and tell us all about it. I remember a frantic phone call to my dad once: I had found my dream house, all the pictures were perfect, it even had the stone dormer window I so wanted... And when I visited it, the said window looked on the neighbours huge wall and the gaz tank! Seeing the picture of your maybe-future living-room, I'm wondering if you're jealous of my former orange living-room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the second one for sale, I could just move in with my suitcase. For goodness sakes girl go see that house in Lancaster before I do! ; ) I need some space too, tired of the city property expectations (ie colours, fencing, etc). But on Vanc Island it is very expensive, especially if you want to stay mid island and south where the weather and land is better. Patty/BC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I want to! Just have to find the time now - have a clients dining room set scheduled within the next week or so!
      XOX

      Delete
  11. This time I love both of the houses! I don't like the decor in either one but I like that they left all the bones intact and those are some great bones! Exposed brick, yes, please! Gorgeous woodwork, yeah, baby!

    Now, about your darling cottage...if you truly are a city girl and you like the pace, the culture, the "there is always something to do", think twice about moving to the country. My son and his wife thought they would like small town living until they actually did it. They discovered that having to drive from hither to yon for a gallon of milk or to pick up a new pair of shoes became a pain and not worth the aggravation. I love small town living. I am not a big city girl though I like one fairly nearby. The house is darling and has lots of potential. Wonder why it has been on the market for such a long time. Of course, it could very well be that someone else not have the "vision" that you. You need to go look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The woodwork and brick in #1 are stunning; however, the kitchen was strange. I grew up on a farm and I lived in the city when I left home. I'm in a subdivision now and I hate having neighbors so close, although they are nice people. Your little farm house looks adorable. So cozy and inviting. It does look like a friendly, happy little house. You could put a hammock in the yard in summer. Nothing like lying on a hammock in the shade on a warm summer day with some lemonade and listening to the birds chirp. I hope you go see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh - a hammock sounds divine! Now why didn't I think of that - too busy thinking of painting like usual lol
      XOX

      Delete
  13. Oh my gosh, the neutral clean colors everywhere on the second house, and the clean look are right up my alley. BUT I married a man who very strongly likes warm and comfy, so I'll never have that look to a house again. And I adjust... daily. ;)

    I have zero doubt you could make that last home look just the way you want. I moved from big city Palm Beach to a little out in the middle of nowhere town in rural Michigan. I thought I'd never like the country, and there are some things I don't like (well water is the worst, at least to me), but I like it here way better than I did the city, and believe you me, that's something NO ONE ever would have thought. ;)

    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Suzan!!!!!

    Well, my friend, I would say to you that looking never hurt. It would be great to get out of the city for a day (I know you said Ontario, so hopefully just a day to get there and back)and take a drive.

    To look at it in person would be great. I've always wanted to go 'look' at houses, but, the mister doesn't.

    No harm done...Really. You're just looking to get it out (or in, depends how you look at it) of your mind. Now, the BIG question: How would John feel about moving there? Is he a city boy through and through or would he move too, IF, that was THE house?

    INTERESTING, INTERESTING...We must all wait to find out or do we???!!!

    You know me and you know where I would live, but, then again, when driving through Ontario last Sept. there were some little towns I would have loved to move to.

    BTW Love the brick in your selections this week.

    Enjoy the rest of the week!!

    Pam
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't even live in the city, but I am constantly thinking of how wonderful it would be to live in a place like this out in the country. I, however, have no prospects for even considering such a thing. If you do, you should by all means at least give it a look in person and consider it, right?
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Suzan,
    That is a true piece of Heaven and I think if I had the chance I would jump on that little beauty. All your wonderful ideas would have that place so special in no time. You could really make it your own. I say go for it. That little art studio alone would have me there!!!!! It is a beautiful piece of property. Go have a look before someone else's dreams come true.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have lived in the country for 40 years..it is a different world. Can take a little getting use to. You can feel lonley untill you get use to it. But I love the fresh air...and it is home now. realize it is an ajustment truly....lovely farm house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deirdra - it wouldn't have to be forever - it could really be a " flip " if I found out it wasn't for me
      Hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  18. After years in Toronto and surrounding areas, we moved to a small town 1 1/2 ago. I've never looked back!! Love the quieter life - even though we live "in town", we're steps away from nature, farmland and serenity. Go look at that house!!! If it's haunting you that much, you need to see if it's doable.

    I can't imagine what John is saying about this after all the work you just put into the bedroom - lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well part of the reason for the makeover in the bedroom was to make it more appealing in case we do sell!!!
      Glad to hear from someone who did and who hasn't looked back!
      Thanks Heather
      Hugs,
      Moi

      Delete
  19. Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but if they have forgive the double opinion stated. I guess my point here will be how far out in the country is this home, it would be quite beautiful the way your mind has it laid out here - go see it!!! And my friend recently did something like this to a home that need much love....brought back that Grandmaw's charm to an old farm house. But she was already use to country living, and actually moved further out...contractors had already starting making their way into her quiet country neighborhood of 3 acre lots. Have you given thought, to maybe trying out renting a place out in the country to see if you would even like it first? When I moved to So. Dakota, from Houston, TX., it was what I expected, but there was alot more to it than my initial thoughts. The distance to drive to get your favorite (whatever), the land that needs attention, there are many things you may not think about, or maybe you have, and think oh it won't be that bad. Just a thought...I know it's this house or nothing probably, so renting seems like a waste of time....but, we had several people from Cali., in SD, that had rented homes of snowbirds, and it gave them a taste of what the winters in SD were actually like, this coming from Southern Cali people who never even have Fall, much less Winter...so they indeed needed to know what to expect. I know this isn't your concern perhaps. I'm mainly speaking on distances, and the conveniences of city or suburb living vs. actual country living. If you're older, than heck yeah maybe it's time, your tired of the city life...as am I, now...13 yrs ago, I wasn't ready, and came back to Houston, I needed to make a living still and couldn't do it there, where people have to have a minimum of two jobs, some three just to make ends meet. But, if it were to retire, heck I'm back there in a heartbeat!! The beauty of the Blackhills, is spectacular!! Good luck in your decision making, you'll do fine which ever way you decide to steer your wheels....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea lol - I'm so fickle it's ridiculous - all I know is that I would love to get out there and restore it - and if I felt I couldn't live there - well I'd sell and come back!
      Thanks so much for your input - I really do appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts on this matter - it's a major step for me.................
      Hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  20. All are lovely, but when I saw the last one, I had to do a double and triple take. It looks soooo much like our home in Wisconsin; I just couldn't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would like to be wealthy enough to own a city apartment like Charlotte had in Sex in The City , I loved her molding in her dining room ( I think i'm a Charlotte) of all the gals in that show LOL

    I could live in either apartment you showed us, of course I would add my own touches, to modern looking for me , I had the mid century furniture once

    your ideas of what to do to the little farm house is perfect

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo