Sunday, March 15, 2015

ITALIAN POUTINE !

Italian Poutine from Scratch


Most of you know that Poutine is Quebec's pride and joy in the food world, right?

Perfect gravy over fries with melted curd cheese - it's now world renowned ( or at the very least North American renowned )

This is a twist on that - also popular here in Montreal - Italian Poutine - for lovers of Italian food AND Poutine lol

It's as simple as can be and extremely delicious.

3 ingredients.

You're favorite meat sauce ( I always have home made batches of this in my freezer but store bought is fine if that happens to be your favorite )
Mozzarella cheese
Potatoes ( here again I make home made fries - but frozen are ok to use as well )
I only had a mozzarella mix ( cheddar ) on hand so I used that and it was great !


I deep fry the fries because I find them too dry in the oven for this dish


Once they're done, place them in a large bowl ( this is enough for 2 people )


and start adding your meat sauce a little at a time


and gently ( you don't want to tear the fries apart )  stir until the fries are completely covered and look like a bowl of pasta


Next you place a layer of fries in a aluminum ( and then you google that word  to make sure you're spelling it right because spell check tells you that you are not ! ) and a layer of cheese


and repeat


and place in a preheated oven set at 325 for 10 to 15 minutes


It's decadently delicious and the perfect treat/meal to have in the den watching a hockey game ( I haven't tested it for football or baseball yet but I think it would work ! )

You can't have it very often because it has approximately 1,459,000 calories - but OMG - every now and then 1,459,000 calories are soooo worth it ..................( and you can obviously make a smaller version )


Italian Poutine..................



For all of you who ever wondered what Heaven in a tin pan tasted like.
This would be it.....................

Have a wonderful day everyone !

Hugs,
Me


I'LL BE SHARING HERE !

I SHOULD BE MOPPING THE FLOOR                       UNCOMMON DESIGN
UNDER THE TABLE & DREAMING                    BETWEEN NAPS ON THE PORCH
SAND & SISAL                                                      STONE GABLE
KATHE WITH AN E                                                      ELIZABETH & CO.
SAVVY SOUTHERN STYLE                                        HAVE A DAILY CUP OF MRS. OLSON
I GOTTA CREATE                                                         KATHERINE'S CORNER
THE ESSENCE OF HOME                                            MY ROMANTIC HOME
LOVE BAKES GOOD CAKES                                     A GLIMPSE INSIDE
CLASSY CLUTTER                                                       ONE MORE TIME EVENTS
SEW CRAFTY ANGEL                                                 THE GIRL CREATIVE

45 comments:

  1. Oh, yum! This reminds me of the hamburger restaurant Wendy's chili cheese fries. Too many calories, but a yummy pleasure! We may try your Italian poutine soon. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look really good - a sort of Italian cheese fries. But I gotta tell ya, I just couldn't do the poutine thing when we blitzed through Canada last fall. I love each of the ingredients, but maybe it was too much of a good thing to imagine all together, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's usually the first thing people want to try LOL !!!
      You should have bought a small one to share Rita !
      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Oh boy! That does look tempting to me but I'd have to pass I think. Well, maybe just one taste. And, maybe another. Want to share? It's funny but the original Poutine doesn't look anything like this. It's a rather bland mix of mashed potatoes and meat rolled into balls and not very appealing looking at all! We are known for Poutine here in NB too since we're your neighbour. :) I can count on my hand the number of times I've had it - minus a thumb. LOL We are getting a big blizzard here today. Nasty out there. Spring arrives in 5 days, or so the calendar says. xx Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look so good, but oh so fattening. Thanks for the recipe - will try it when we are watching a good sports game.
    Have a great week Suzanne.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so yummy! My mouth is watering! Wow, you have time to cook, Susan?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmm
    Love me some Poutine!
    Silly daughter won't eat it says anything the starts with "poo" sould not be eaten.
    Eh... More for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny you say that Mo - because I was going to explain on the post that it's
      pronounced POO-TIN - and decided not to because of POO LMHO
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. Pretty sure my husband would think he'd died and gone to heaven if I put this on the table!! And yeah to a mozzarella/cheddar mix (I've never seen one in the stores here).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this ~ please forgive me! :) Looks delish though.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I know for a fact that regular Poutine has made it's way to Texas - you'd love this Pat !
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. My goodness dear Suzann...I am totally hungry right now, but for this great looking dish, though! Got me some cravings. I will make it soon!
    Thanks for sharing. Pinning for sure!
    Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, yes, yes! This is addictive and haven't made this in ages.
    The only difference, I add mini pepperoni to my mixture.
    Our son-in law likes sliced, hot peppers so have those on had just for him which he sprinkles a few on top once it's out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Comfort food at it's best, yummy. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, I am hungry.
    Yummy!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh ... I Haven't had Poutine in AGES! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh My...that looks so yummy!! I think my hubby would love this, but none for me...I've lost 16lbs and have more to lose.
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am still stunned. What is this world coming to??? Spaghetti sauce over potatoes!?! With cheese on top!!! Actually sounds delicious BUT this is a double header for me. I hope you are all sitting down for this one because I feel I am about to tell everyone that there is no tooth fairy!...............Did you know that they do not serve Corned Beef and Cabbage on St. Patrick's Day in Ireland????????? In fact, they have barely even heard of it!!!! It is HAM AND CABBAGE! I got it straight from the mouth of Madge, and nobody in their right mind would want to question her on that! She is about 70 years old, straight from the shores of Ireland, and works in the rectory of our Parish as the cook, and is tough as nails. Seems the Knights were going to have a dinner to celebrate ole St. Paddy, and she went over there and set them straight too! All 100 of them tough as nails men versus one Madge, and guess who won??? I need an aspirin.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Irish - trying to be Irish Wannabe's LOL
      But now that you say this - my Grandmother only made Ham and Cabbage - never Corned Beef !!!!
      Happy St. Patty's day xoxoxo

      Delete
  16. I love poutine! This looks great. Thanks for sharing. I'm a new food blogger and found you on a link party. I've followed your social sites and hope we can connect on those. Can't wait to read more of your blog. Becky with CookingWithVinyl.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have never had it, looks delish, will have to definitely try it!!!! Thank you for sharing your recipe!!! XOXOXOX Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great treat Karen - you'll love it !
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  18. I was thinking this was something I definitely needed to make because it looks soooooo incredibly yummy. Then I saw the calorie count....now I am just left drooling. LOL!!!
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well if it weren't for you, I would never have known what poutine tasted like at all! LOL! This look pretty yummy and I would have never thought of an italian version!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never heard of this but we did have fries in gravy when we visited Vancouver. I thought it was outstanding! I'm going to try this...the hell with the calories.

    We have a place here that has Irish nachos. Very much the same but for some green onion and diced tomatoes mixed in. Yum!

    Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. A new idea! Love it...thanks for sharing with the Thursday Blog Hop! Have never seen Italian potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay, time to cook. This looks absolutely wonderful; I am sure it's calorie-free! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG brilliant!! Love this! I love poutine but never thought of trying it with an Italian flare. So cool. Pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Malia !
      And for the pin !
      It's delicious - you'll love it !
      xoxo

      Delete
  24. Oh yum! I have never heard of this, but every now and then I have to make homemade fries. Just get a hankerin for them. Like you say, not too often because they are certainly not diet food. lol! Can't wait to try this!! Pinning. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  25. We make something similar in the Philadelphia area. Take the fixings of a cheese steak and instead of putting it on a roll put it over crispy fries. I've also had pulled pork BBQ served this way. Yum! You really can't go wrong if it involves French fries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the cheese steak on fries sounds delicious ( it shouldn't but it really really does LOL )
      XOX

      Delete
  26. Being a Canadian who lived in Italy, I just had to check this out. Mmmm... maybe a recipe for my husband. I have to stick to 'diet food' a bit these days... Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well take a few bites of his if you make it Rose - you have to try this one !!!
      xoxo

      Delete
  27. This looks great..... I have never tried this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Suzan! Wow, that looks scrumptious! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is Vashti !
      Thanks so much for the pin!
      xxx

      Delete
  29. I certainly can't afford those calories, but I'm pinning it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make it with just one potato LOL
      Thanks for the pin Maureen !
      xoxo

      Delete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo