Sunday, March 8, 2015

Meet Loki

Back in the day - when the kids were teenagers, the basement belonged to them.

I seldom went down there except to do laundry or clean - it was basically theirs to do what they wanted with...........the occasional parties - late night t.v. - private phone calls - things you don't need a parent standing over your head watching ( especially when there were extensions upstairs I could listen in on from time to time ( terrible I know - but I did it )

I can remember a time when I was starting to get suspicious - they were down there a little too often - all three of them - and very quiet - too quiet - abnormally quiet.

I panicked -
I completely panicked and wondering if perhaps they were doing drugs down there I made my way down when my Son darted up from the couch and BLOCKED me from entering the living room section.

" You don't want to come in here Mom " he urgently said

We literally struggled for a moment before I was able to convince him that it was ok - that whatever was going on was ok - I wasn't going to freak out, I assured him, as my mind raced with drug rehabilitation for 3 kids -

WHERE DID I GO WRONG?
DID I MISS THE SIGNS?
SURELY IT WAS TELLING THAT I SERIOUSLY LACKED PARENTING SKILLS AND THESE POOR KIDS - THESE POOR POOR KIDS HAD FALLEN BY THE WAYSIDE..................

Gingerly I made my way into the room ( which I imagined would be an opium den ) to see my daughters looking up with sheer panic in their eyes - each of them trying desperately to hide......................

A stray cat Lindsay had found.

My heart melted ( with more relief than I can convey here )

We can't keep her - I explained
We already have a cat - I said
We'll find a good home for her - I reassured them
I have to put my foot down here - I told them

( note how I'm trying to make myself sound like June Cleaver - truthfully I was more like the Harper Valley PTA Mom - but I DID have my June Cleaver moments from time to time )
______________________________________________________________________________


Lindsay's in Florida this week - 17 years later - guess who's babysitting?

Meet Loki - who's presence in our life has graced it beyond belief.
Delivered to me Friday night ...................
She's an " elderly " cat - she's spoiled - she can be a little cranky at times - she has arthritis in her hips and hind legs making mobility difficult - but she's the family princess.- our very own Aristocat

I've put her in the guest room - and sleep with her at night - I brush her - I talk to her - I sing to her -
I carry her up and down from the bed so that she doesn't hurt herself.

And because every princess deserves breakfast in bed from time to time, I indulge her with that too



John says - Oh, are we having breakfast in bed today?
Suzan says - YOU'RE NO PRINCESS !!!!!!

My kids have rescued many animals since those years...........but she was the first
And I'm so grateful she followed Lindsay home all those years ago.

( Oh - and that it wasn't drugs they were hiding - I'm also grateful for that LOL )

Okay - she's calling me back - I'm off to give her a massage.
And whip up something for the Prince..

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone
Much love
Me
June Cleaver



SHARING WITH !

MY TURN FOR US

33 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post, Suzan. :))) She's a beauty and obviously a very lucky cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww....what a sweet, sweet story, Suzan. Our "Loki" was called Misty! lol xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story! I love it. Happy Sunday to ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha !
      Hope you had a wonderful one too !
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. You are such a good 'step' mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Suzan...Loki is just precious! I recently lost my almost 20 year old cat, Sugar. They become such a part of the family. Have fun kitty sitting! Loki might not want to go back home with all the pampering you are giving her...lol!

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet. I remember bringing home strays when I was young. My mother had such a soft heart but we always had a house full of pets. I now have a dog, 2 cats, a lizard and a bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Through life, the most joy has been from the animals who found US and in many ways, rescued US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS amazing the joy they bring, isn't it ?
      xoxoxo

      Delete

  8. oh how very special. I can see why the kids brought her home. Don't feel bad I am just as soft as you are and "I love animal, especially dogs and cats. I have two rotten, spoiled dogs and I love them to death.
    Enjoy your time with your little Princess.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh pretty kitty. Definitely a princess. :) The story reminds me of the time my sister and I snuck a gerbil home. Oh yes, Mom found it and made us return it...we were not going to have a RODENT in the house. Needless to say, when my kids wanted a gerbil, we got two of them. Lol. I definitely have a soft spot for stray cats. I'll probably be a crazy cat lady in old life. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that reminds me of the mice my brother brought home and one got out and my Mother and I stood on kitchen chairs screaming our heads off LOLOL !!!
      XOXOXO

      Delete
  10. The universe blesses those who care for the creatures who are gracious enough to allow us to share their planet. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Loki but I know you really meant for the name to be "loco" because that's what those drug crazed kids will drive you too...heehee. I completely understand the "worst case scenario" being played in your mind......I had two teenage boys under my roof and most of the time they were good kids...only a few homemade bombs were made...;) You parents must have done something right because kids that have a heart for animals are good souls. Have a great weekend with your grankitty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That " worst case scenario" almost put me in the nut house - and I was wrong - every single time..............lol
      Thanks Lisa !
      xoxo

      Delete
  12. Dear June...even tho I am not a cat person...AT ALL...this Loki is adorable.
    I didn't even have a dog growing up...that's probably one reason I am little....weird..:)
    my kids had dogs but never cats. I have a grandson and 2grandgirls that love their cats to the moon and back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And Princess she rightfully is! xo Patty

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, June, such a sweet story. Loki is one lucky princess. Kids who rescue animals are inherently good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful story. It melted my heart reading this. Loki is such an adorable cat and so very lucky to have such a wonderful home.
    Thanks for sharing such a sweet story Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Suzan what a sweet story and Loki is beautiful. So sweet.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  17. Raising 3 daughters I can just imagine your fears about the whispering down below. Wait til the kids start dropping off the grandkids. That's when the fun begins.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous...I know you will give her a lot of love.

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love a white cat! I have loved THREE white cats! First was Snowball - my daughter, Amber's cat. We got her when Amber was 12 and Snowball was a rescue kitty. She lived to be 19 years old. Next I live Maggie. A senior cat we adopted. She loved to drink her water from wine glasses. And so she did. She died last year. We were devastated. We now have another white cat. Again - a rescue cat! her name is Maddie. As one cat lover to another - they are ALL royalty!!! And we do so love them!! AND they do so love US!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful cat and a lovely story! I wish we could have a cat, but Sam is allergic. I love that you give her breakfast in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awe what a beautiful story and a beautiful cat! We had our share of strays here too but no drug stories that I know of! PS glad your kids don't need rehab!

    ReplyDelete
  22. "I" got a cat when I was six. "My mother" had the cat for 5 more years after I left home. Now I have three AND my mom has three of her own.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my. this is too funny. Loki is sweet and I'm sure she has been very spoiled by you, June. I mean Suzan. (there I go again)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Susan...when I was little, I brought home a kitten in my trick-or-trick bag and my mom let me keep her. Loki sure is a pretty cat!! Love the photo of her eating on the bed.
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loki is beautiful! It's wonderful to hear about how lucky she is to have you. Brings back memories of my old white girl....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks so much - I think we were the lucky ones..........truly !
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo