Saturday, November 24, 2012

O Christmas Tree ( NOT O Holiday tree )

Well here I am again - it's Saturday so you know what I'm perched on, right?  Yeah, that's right, my soapbox.  And this one may get me in trouble because it seems to be quite a controversial subject here in North America ( Canada AND the U.S )
This is one particular post where it is not my intention to offend anyone - but to bring to light the absurdity of our times.............................

John says - Suzan don't post that
Suzan says - WHY?
John says - too touchy a subject
Suzan says - Well John, that's exactly why I HAVE to post it, don't you know me by now?
John groans - People don't come to your blog for this - they come to laugh - or to see furniture
Suzan says - but nobody HAS to read this John -
John says - I'm always warning you - you don't listen
Suzan says - what am I?  5 years old? I wasn't even so good in the listening department when I WAS 5 years old
John says - You're incorrigible sometimes
LOL - he's finally figuring me out!  Another Saturday on My Soapbox - by Incorrigible Me
I don't think anyone's ever called me that before....


My Christmas Tree - 2011


Christmas
Modern-day controversy occurs mainly in western countries such as the United States,[1][2] Canada,[3][4] and to a lesser extent theUnited Kingdom and Ireland,[5][6][7] and usually stems from a contrast between the holiday's significant social and economic role in these countries and its strong association with Christianity in an increasingly multiculturally sensitive and religiously diversifyingsociety. In recent decades, public, corporate, and government mention of the term "Christmas" during the Christmas and holiday season has declined and been replaced with a generic term, usually "holiday(s)", to avoid referring to Christmas by name. In addition, popular non-religious aspects of Christmas, such as Christmas carols and Christmas trees, are still prominently showcased and recognized, but are vaguely associated with unspecified "holidays" rather than with Christmas.[citation needed] Also, many retailers[which?] are asked to greet their customers with "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" than with the traditional "Merry Christmas".

For many years growing up we had an elderly Jewish man that lived next door to us - he would always greet us with "Shalom" - did we run in terror? No.  Did we send letters to the government in outrage? No. Did we stamp our feet in protest and demand he say the English word? No.
We simply learned from our Mother and replied in kind - every single time " Shalom " it's a beautiful word and it means " Peace " and anybody who wants to greet me with such kindness will be met with the same. Every. Single. Time.

So how did this assault on Christmas happen?  How was it allowed to happen?  Not only is it insulting to Christians, I personally feel it's insulting to non Christians as well.  Because let's face it, it is what it is what is is - and what it IS, is a Christmas tree.  If you read the above statement you'll notice it says multiculturally sensitive and I GET that - we cannot go around hating our neighbours because of different belief systems - and for me this is what makes North America the greatness that it is - this may be oversimplifying it but it's like any recipe - none of the ingredients on their own can make a meal - it's when we blend several ingredients that we can successfully create a meal and that is what has made North America the greatest continent on earth - 100% without a doubt - it's our differences that make us eclectic and different and a go to place for people that cannot get ahead in their own 1 belief system country.  We are supposed to be the land of live and let live.  And so different cultures are allowed to grow and thrive and celebrate their own customs.  My family is culturally and ethnically blended - and I am a better person for that - with all certainty, I know this to be true.

It would never cross my mind to be offended by a Menorah - and I would never expect the Jewish community to change the name to " candelabra " ( one of my grandfathers was a diaspora Jew -  I only learned of this in my very early teens and thought the yiddish words he taught me were some type of pig latin - so I obviously feel a closeness to the Jewish faith but that's a story for a different day ) 
I would never dream - never - of asking the Muslim community to change the name Ramadan ( a time of fasting ) 
to " Stop world obesity month " and I have never been offended that they celebrate it - it's noble and directly associated to their faith.
I would never request that the Hindu community please refer to Diwali - as " Twinkle Twinkle little star " - it's a celebration of lights and although it isn't part of my heritage I think it's beautiful.

My heritage - and my story - involve Christmas and Christmas trees.  So why am I expected to call my Christmas Tree a Holiday Tree?  Who are we offending? Everyone I know - everyone, and that includes Jews and Muslims, think it's ridiculous - so who is it exactly that our governments are trying so hard not to offend?  Why are they doing this for CHRISTmas trees sakes?  I don't believe that there are masses of people who are sitting and stewing over it and demanding and actually changing centuries old North American customs. 
I know we may not be as culturally immersed in our traditions as say, Europeans - but please remember that we DO treasure the ones that we have - they are golden to us -  and maybe it's time we let our leaders know that the only people they seem to be offending with this nonsensical change is, well let me see now, half of the population?   
It's exhausting trying to be politcally correct 100% of the time........................
It's exhausting to be intolerant.
It's exhausting to be one-minded.
And too many other things in my world exhaust me - we should ALL be free to celebrate ( or not celebrate ) anything we like - and I respect that - with open arms - and I'll even go to those celebrations ( if invited ) and celebrate with others that are different than I - because being able to respect and celebrate along side others should be a national celebration all on it's own.



                    My Christmas Tree 2011



            "O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree
                   You fill my heart with music.
                Reminding me on Christmas Day
                 To think of you and then be gay.
             O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree
                  You fill my heart with music"

One of my very very dear friends ( Jewish ) always wished she could have a Christmas Tree too and is seriously contemplating putting a small one up - and if she can call it what it is - then why can't everyone else? ( and I used to put a small menorah on my credenza for the memory of my grandfather - yup - right beside my christmas decorations ) 

So the Canadian Government can call our National Tree whatever it likes - but I know and you know and he knows and she knows what it really is, was, always will be AND please let it be known to one and to all that MY Christmas Tree represents Peace on Earth and Good Will toward Men - and if anyone takes offence to that, well they can always go plant a holiday tree in our Capitol.


Sharing with
I should be mopping the floor
http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/11/mop-it-up-monday-44.html
Cedar Hill Ranch
http://cedarhillranch.blogspot.ca/2012/11/cowgirl-up-link-party-week-43.html
Homestories A to Z
http://homestoriesatoz.com/tutorials/tutorials-tips-link-party-87.html
Uncommonly Yours
http://www.uncommondesignsonline.com/uncommonly-yours-link-party-56/
Adorned from Above
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/11/washi-tape-idea-book-and-wednesdays.html
Katherine's Corner
http://katherinescorner.com/2012/11/29/thursday-favorite-things-blog-hop-64/
Rooted in Thyme
http://rootedinthyme.blogspot.ca/2012/11/getting-ready-for-craft-fair-and-simple.html
Common Ground
http://www.commonground-do.com/2012/11/vintage-inspiration-116-inspired-for.html
The Charm of Home
http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.ca/2012/11/home-sweet-home-95.html
Shabby Art Boutique
http://shabbyartboutique.blogspot.ca/2012/11/shabbilicious-friday-link-party_30.html
At the Picket Fence
http://www.atthepicketfence.com/2012/11/its-inspiration-friday-no-91-welcome.html
French Country Cottage
http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.ca/2012/11/feathered-nest-friday_29.html
Dixie and Dottie
http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.ca/









73 comments:

  1. I don't think I'll ever be able to call it anything other than a Christmas Tree. That's that. Lucky to live in America where we can call it whatever we want, regardless of what is suggested! Way to rant Suzan! You picked a great soap box this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally with you on this one. I think people can choose if they want to participate or not. It is the custom of our people to celebrate Christmas (majority anyway). If you come to our country you need to accept our traditions just as we accept the traditions of our immigrants. We shouldnt have to alter them. Yes, we need to make sure that we dont force school kids to celebrate it, but can we not teach school kids about all holidays and let them make decorations and learn of the foods and traditions of other cultures. It could be part of a world religions teaching not a celebration of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soo in agreement. It just frosts me the lengths our govt. will go to make no waves in some things and totally rock the boat on others. Really why mess with our traditions. Humour me here... if we went to another country, with different beliefs, do you think they will /would bend to suit our needs? NOPE!!! They proudly continue on as if we were not present and heed their traditions regardless of whom it offends. I say when in a country be tolerant of their traditions even if it's not what you do... you are on their turf? No?
    I say this as I am multi cultural and have European and East Indian heritage and family members, thus many cultures.Who by the way, thinks the 'happy holidays ' thing is ridiculous as well. BUT I celebrate Christmas as I am christian. However I am not going to have a Holiday Tree and 'happy holidays' I am having a Christmas tree, and a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Yup!!!
    Good soap box!!Sore spot for me and mine as well.
    Cheers, Gee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right on Gee-
      and intolerance is as ugly as it gets - on any side - we ALL have to learn to accept the other, AND each others traditions, period. You and yours have a very Merry Christmas
      XOX

      Delete
  4. You preach it, sistah! I wonder if anyone has thought of the fact in using Happy Holidays that the word HOLIdays is built on the word HOLY-Holy Days? Get it? Ha! Maybe we got them there after all!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well written, Suzan! I agree completely.

    These kinds of things start because of small, very vocal groups. The squeaky wheel and all that. We had a neighbour who was successful at getting Halloween removed from the nearby school. It offended her and her born again Christian value. One person. Hundreds of kids deprived of a fun day at school.

    Speaking of Jewish friends and Christmas trees, Brian Gluckstein the interior designer said he always had Christmas tree envy growing up and now always has one in his house. Heck, he designs Christmas trees in New York and Christmas decorations! And my husband's boss's wife, (they are Jewish), puts up a Christmas tree too. When the kids were little and attending Jewish school, they went to school on a Monday and told everyone that they put up their Christmas tree over the week-end. They got a few funny looks, needless to say, lol!!! I love that story!


    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you! As an English gal now living in New Jersey, I was baffled by the use of the "Happy Holidays" sentiment when we first moved here four years ago. We do have the fervent PC contingent in the UK but we still use the C-word a great deal more than you do this side of the Atlantic!
    Possibly because we UK-ers use the word 'holidays' where you use 'vacation' so it doesn't really make sense to us to say Happy Holidays just at Christmas time?
    Anyway, well said :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn - thanks for the reminder - holidays were always our vacations as well!
      Going to dig out my CHRISTMAS decorations lol
      Big hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  7. Don't you know, Suzan, that we're told to be tolerant and inclusive and openminded about every faith...except of course, Christianity. And for those who might want to go off on a rant about the Crusades, well, it's not Jesus' fault that His message of hope and love has been abused by many throughout the generations. As the angels said that night so long ago, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom He is pleased.'

    Merry Christmas, Suzan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for speaking up, you speak for so many of us! Merry Christmas, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bravo! Thank you for speaking up, We are very accepting of all religions, and people, and should be able to keep Christ in our Christmas. Well said. Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss having cashiers wish me a Merry Christmas when they are taking my hard earned money for Christmas presents. It softened the blow to my pocket book. I had a Jewish friend who always put up a Christmas tree. When the Rabbi asked her what it was doing in her house she told him it was a Hannukah bush. When you throw out the religious side of it, you lose the values it stands for and Christmas is nothing more than a commercial enterprise. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully said. Written. Whatever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Obviously a great soapbox subject today!! I'm always amazed that to be considered "tolerant, PC & cultural", seems to always involve giving up a little more of "us" & becoming a little more of "them"!! And, yes, there are times when it's simplest & more honest to use those 2 words...us and them. It doesn't mean that "them" are bad or that "we" are better (or anything of the sort)...but when we're talking about having to change the name of our CHRISTmas trees so that we don't offend non-christians...it's a sure sign that things have gotten "just a little bit" out-of-control & that the whole world is spinning towards crazy! I would imagine that the Canadian Government, just like our U.S. Government, would have many, many more important things to be focused on "fixing"!!! We've already taken Christ out of our school systems...is it really necessary to take him out of CHRISTmas too????????!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's utter foolishness and yes both governments have far more things they need to fix and focus on - but that's another soapbox or two..........
      I would be curious to know if goverments in Europe fester over this?
      xox

      Delete
  13. Very well said!! You are saying what a lot of people are thinking and it will always be Christmas to me. Stay on your soapbox. You say things that need to be said and make a lot of people think. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that soap box should be washing out a bunch of dirty laundry all over the country. And I'll tell 'ya who is offended by all the crap the government spews.... ME! It is a Christmas tree. But then again they try to write new definitions for all sorts of words.

    I learned the words to the Dreidel song in elementary school so we could sing it at our Christmas program. And not only was I not offended then, it's got quite the catchy tune yet today.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  15. it is such a shame to think that we are abandoning our culture so that we don't offend anyone- do we see other cultures changing so they don't offend us- NO!
    Australia is headed down a similar path- such a shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - even Australia - I really thought it was a North American thing
      XXX

      Delete
  16. You know how I feel! ;-) I think our gov't has crossed many lines...one being offending Christians. I will say "Merry Christmas" until I can't and I will always have a "Christmas" tree! Keeping Christ in Christmas is what it's all about.

    Everyone has their right to their faith and beliefs and I respect that. I do NOT want to be told by anyone what I "must" say.

    This soapbox gets kinda crowded with you and me both on it doesn't it? :)

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well said and this is just one in a long list we are being asked to "change" so as not to offend and exactly who are we offending since this is "our" country, and surely our government? It rates right up there with all the other good things we are no longer allowed and our society and children suffer because of it. I want the Pledge of Allegiance back in school but first I want prayer back in school! Those who chose not to participate then that is their right/ and please note I said "choice" but quit taking away my rights to appease a very, very small group of people. And what's wrong with a little discipline - not beatings, not spankings, just accountability for rules and respect......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh - accountability? That's an entirely different soapbox subject and one I'm sure I'll be ranting about one day
      XOX

      Delete
  18. Please, lots of loud handclaps for Suzan!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So very well written and I agree wholeheartedly, however, I have been saying "Happy Holidays" to my nonreligious friends since the early 70s and see nothing wrong with it. I always say Merry Christmas or Happy Hannukah where applicable. Have a very Merry Christmas, and remember the reason for the season. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty - and I also say Happy Holidays to those that do not celebrate Christmas of course - there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all - my beef is changing the name of a Christmas tree - period - which has been called a Christmas tree for a very long time now ( it wasn't even Christianity that started using trees for decorations if you read the history of them ) Athiests call them Christmas trees too!
      Big hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  20. Move over, Suzan, I am wearing my Christmas wreath around my red neck and holding my Christmas tree high. In my part of South Carolina (US) we keep traditions very close. It is Merry Christmas around here, but we do say Happy Holidays for Holy Days for those of other beliefs. There was a dispute about Merry Christmas a few years ago, but we just ignored it. We generally do not like being told what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Woo hoo!!! AMEN AND AMEN AND AMEN!!!! You certainly nailed another issue right on the head. You GO, girl!!!

    Now, let's all enjoy our CHRISTmas trees during these HOLYdays!!!! :) ♥

    Merry CHRISTmas!!!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  22. You go girl! I LIKE that you posted this. Why must we put our traditions aside for the easily offended few? I know there is an assault on Christmas here in the states but I didn't know it was going on in Canada too. It really is sad, isn't it? Thanks for posting and Merry Christmas!

    Amy
    www.homesweetthriftyhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was North America only - seems they're having a problem with it globally - now go buy a Christmas tree Amy lol
      xxx

      Delete
  23. You've haven't heard anything yet. Here in Spain, they're tryinh to have non religious baptisms!! We're mostly catholics, but can't talk about it, any belief is defended, but ours.
    Have they ever thought that this HOLIDAY wouldn't have existed without Christ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tibby - wow, really? I don't even get the POINT in that? Why would anyone want to be baptised if they weren't religious? Nobody is forced to be baptised - nonsensical
      xox

      Delete
  24. Well said, Suzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You made my day. Christians are being persecuted so much now. But wait.......One day, every knee shall bow. And every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

    Merry Christmas to you from Oklahoma,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas Meredith - thanks for coming by
      XOX

      Delete
  25. Wondering how many people who actually object to calling a tree a "Christmas" tree participate in the tradition of gift exchange on Dec 25th or enjoy the day off from work? While I wholeheartedly agree with the seperation of church & state (now there's a soapbox for you!) Christmas is the reason you put up the tree. If it isn't, don't put the tree up!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Suzy - looks like the soap box was in full use this week between this rant and mine about decorating too early. I can't tell you how many times I struggled with this working in retail in Toronto. I was surrounded by staff of every ethnicity and religion and yet we all were happy to be part of the Christmas traditions that was everywehere. For years we were told not to say Merry Christmas - just Happy Holidays. "After all, we don't know that people are celebrating Christmas just because they are shopping on Dec. 23". A few years ago we changed things back to Merry Christmas and even those that obviously weren't celebrating didn't seem to mind.

    Canada is a great multi-cultural world that has worked hard to accept every belief - we shouldn't have to give up our traditions to belong.

    Thank you for this posting.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Only thing to say is, Merry Christmas! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  28. Alas, John was wrong. Again. :) Great post!!!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Suzan (and John too)
    My husband and I are totally with you on this...way to go for saying what needs to be said. This message needs to be repeated again and again and again across our great country and indeed around the world. We will be celebrating Christmas with family and friends with joy and peace in our hearts. We will exchange Christmas gifts and gather around our Christmas tree as we remind ourselves of the true meaning and reason for this wonderful season. Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!
      Big hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  30. Hi Suzan, I agree with you guys 100%, I have always love the christmas tree and always will. Happy to be a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well I love this post, and I agree w/every single thing in it.

    I like the question you asked..."How was it allowed to happen?" That could apply to so many things, but I won't go on, lol, or it'll get me perched on my soapbox. ;)

    Sending over a virtual high-five for an awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  32. its like that here in Australia as well.no we cant upset the minority....well soon we will be the Monority what then.At my boys kindergarten no Santa no tree because we have to be respectful of others.Well sorry i have also had enough.I grew up with Santa and I am respectful of other cultures. But with people like you who arnt afraid to speak up maybe we can change things a little at a time?-love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderfully said!!
    Merry Christmas!!!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  34. GREAT POST!!!! Why is it no one, including all the politically correct and "tolerant" ones, cares about offending Christians or anyone else celebrating Christmas and not just the holidays?
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think your CHRISTmas tree is very pretty and couldn't have written this post better! I'm so tired of hearing people say we need to be tolerant but it's those very ones that are intolerant. I tell you right now I will walk out of a store and leave my items behind if anyone tells me happy holidays! but not before telling them they offended me:) Yes, I believe it's obvious more people than I are upset about this. One more thing, I think school should stay open so the teachers that are offended can teach the students of the offended parents and let the ones that work still work and not take the time off. I think that would put a stop to a lot of this nonesense!! I'm done lol Thank you for posting and let your hubby know he was wrong on this one lol;)

    Merry CHRISTmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already let him know he was wrong lol - after about an hour of posting this!
      Have yourself a very Merry Christmas and thanks so much for coming by.
      Hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  36. Super pretty! Would love if you'd join our Countdown to Christmas link party! Hope to see you there! Have a great week! :)
    http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/2012_11_27_archive.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. High Five! As a christian, I am truly tired of the trend to take CHRIST out of Christmas. It has been, and always will be a "CHRISTmas Tree".

    ReplyDelete
  38. Perfectly well said, Suzy! And I love your Christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete
  39. The thing is that 90% of Americans believe in God and celebrate Christmas but we have to bow down to the 10% that don't. I call for a re-count on that vote!

    I hope you and your family have a wonderful and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would seriously doubt that it's 90% anymore- but regardless of the percentage - that shouldn't matter at all - it's still Christmas!
      Thanks for coming by
      xxx

      Delete
  40. Sweetie, you CAN reply to people that don't post their email. Easy fix: go to your blogger dashboard + settings + mobile and email. Then put YOUR email where it says comment notification email. When you get a comment it will come to your mailbox and you simply reply as you would with any other email. Oh and they can reply back if they want. Less frustration, less going back and forth looking things up and less gray hairs (yay!). Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know - and I do that - but not in the case of no reply bloggers ( of which you are one by the way lol ) that problem has to be fixed from your end!
      Hugs,

      Delete
  41. AMEN!!! I'm jumping up and down and couldn't agree with you more! The holiday is Christ-Mass....so calling it a Christ-mas tree seems pretty appropriate to me *winks* And even when I was told at work to wish people a "Happy Holiday" I still said "Merry Christmas".....And always will....I'm a renegade like that lol! Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  42. Susan, don't ever get down off that soap box... and tell John we like hearing what you have to say up there.
    Thankfully here in Australia it is still Merry Christmas!!
    Thanks for linking to Shabbilicious Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Blessings to you, Susan! I am happy to see you address the elephant in the room. It's such a joy these days to be greeted with Merry CHRISTmas! I cherish the traditions of Christmas and Chanukkah. I am a believer in Yeshua and celebrate Him as my Messiah...I am also of Jewish decent. When I am greeted with "Happy Holidays" I am saddened that so many have bowed down at the altar of political correctness.
    Thank you for sharing, my sweet friend.
    Blessings,
    Carolynn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  44. Have to make a comment here. I was just listening to a commentator saying how ridiculous it is to call a Christmas Tree a Holiday Tree. He was interviewing the Rhode Island Governor and the governor was saying it's a Holiday Tree and the commentator was asking, "Well, what holiday is it associated with?". This guy just didn't get it. It IS a Christmas tree no matter what else you call it. Who can be offended by calling it what it is? Everything is upside down nowadays. What used to be wrong is now right and what is right is now wrong.
    Happy Christmas Season to you. Be happy! You can't change the weirdos.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  45. Joyous Yule! Merry Christmas, too. Yes, back home in the UK Happy Holidays is seen as an unfortunate American import. The term seems to be loosely applied to the time between Halloween and New Years Day. Now, I'd accept that as 'The Holidays'

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Suzan,
    I love your Christmas Tree. It is really pretty. No, it's not a holiday tree. It's christmas. Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop. This weeks party starts at 12:01AM on Wednesday. Have a great week.
    Debi, Joye and Myrna (The Busy Bee's), Linda (Two Succulent Sisters)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Well said! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home. I am enjoying my Christmas tree this year.:)
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  48. Fantastic post! So well written, and sadly so true. I will always say Merry Christmas and I do so to every customer in our store. A couple don't answer, that is fine with me, but most reply in kind...some almost surprised I say it!
    Wishing you & John a Merry Christmas, Suzan!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Just for the record, Im not really arguing, as I call it a Christmas tree as well. BUT.... truth be told, it is in actuality a YULE tree. The tradition of decorating a conifer stems from the old pagan religions that worshiped the sun god and moon goddess. The conifer was held in high regard during the yule solstice because it is the "never dying" tree, as it never loses its leaves. It symbolizes the continuity of life. The tradition followed pagans as they converted to Christianity, and like many other symbols and holidays, it was integrated into the christian holiday to ease the passage of conversion. Yule logs, wreaths, and the traditional colors of red/green/gold/silver are all carry overs from the old religions.

    All that said, I too will respond in kind to anyone wishing me a happy anything. To all of you, I wish a Blessed Yule, Merry Christmas, and Happy Chanukah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon - I know it comes from pagan religions - but it's been called a Christmas tree for ages and ages and ages - just seems ridiculous to me to change the name for what reason? I don't even think it offends anyone - ( or no one I know anyway )
      Have the happiest of New Years - life to the full to you!
      Hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  50. Expressed so well!!!

    In my younger years before twelve, I lived in a similar neighborhood. My mom is also Polish, but "her adopted mom" was Jewish. We also have Jewish friends in our lives, so we celebrate Hanukkah. Our Israeli friend says Hanukkah is way over done here, so it can compete with Christmas; so, he celebrates them both, because he loves holidays.
    How about the "holiday" radio? Do we have a large body of music for any other holiday other than CHristmas?

    The other day we were discussing this, and we decided as a family we were just going to say Merry Christmas. (We say Happy Hanukkah when it is Hanukkah too.)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Oh Suzan, you definitely hit nail in the head !
    xx
    Mila

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo