Monday, May 7, 2012
Canadian Beef ( my beef that is )
1) I can remember asking at Chapters ( e.g. Barnes and Noble ) why it costs so much more for books here and they replied well it's the currency difference, mmmm, ok I guess I can accept that. But now our currency is on par and some days ours is higher and still we are paying a significant difference for books - so once again, last month I put the same question to the store clerk - the response? A giggle and a shrug of the shoulders.
I am talking even Canadian Authored books!!! WTH? No sense at all!
2) Electricity and Gas - absolutely absurd that the province I live in and pay taxes in, produces and exports Electricity to our neighbouring northern states and charges them LESS THAN US
Even if they don't want to give us a little teensy itty bitty break - at least charge us the same?
Enough said -
2) Lately I've been seeing more and more people reverting to home made chalk paint because of the cost ( I have tried to do it - but am not quite so happy with the results and I really do love ASCP ) but here's the thing,
here in Canada we are still part of the Commonwealth - there is a direct connection to this country and that country - so why does it cost us 50.00 dollars for a can of paint - as opposed to the 35.00 our cousins are paying in the States????????
I can't wrap my brain around it - but it's a lot of money.
Justifiable perhaps if you have a special piece of furniture that you are doing for yourself but really expensive when you are doing it to restore furniture to sell.
Why do we have to pay excessive duty and taxes?
4) When I decided I wanted to try the Subway dressers - the instructions were to get stick on letters from Hobby Lobby - and I think the prices were 2.00 and 3.00 ( or something very close to that ) we do not have a HL - so off I went to our big box office supply store - and for the same thing - I paid 7.95 and 9.95!!!!!!
Even if they are made in the States ( this is a paper product - one of Canada's major exports ) how much can it cost to ship in bulk - it's paper for crying out loud.
5) Now here is my absolute biggest rant.....................all over blog land people are picking up dressers - vanities - sideboards etc from their local Savation Army - Goodwill and the like for 15.00 - 20.00 - 30.00 - even 50 and 60 dollars. Extremely decent prices -
Here is what happened at my local Sally Ann on my last trip.
- Oh look at that Dining Room set John - isn't is beautiful?
- Not really - look at all the damage Suzan, that needs a lot of restoration
- Well John that's why it's priced so low -
- Excuse me, could you tell me the price of that dining room table and 4 chairs in the corner over there?
- 695.00 Madam
- Pardon me?
- 695.00 Madam
- Pls tell me you're joking?
- No ma'am - this is quality furniture
- But it's in awful condition - (and this is the S.A. I shouldn't be having this conversation)
- Can I speak to your manager please?
Out comes a young girl - looking very flustered and pissed off that she actually has to speak to someone with a calculator in her hand - part 2 follows
- This gentleman tells me the price of the dining room set is 695.00 - there are gouges and holes in it - the fabric is ripped and extremely dirty - surely there must be a mistake?
- No Madam - there is no mistake - we have an antique expert who comes in and tells us what our furniture is worth
( my blood pressure is raising - did I hear this correctly? antique expert? Salvation Army? )
- But you are not an Antique Store - you're the Salvation Army ( I obviously have to remind her ) you do not pay for anything you receive - these are all donations - how can the less fortunate afford to shop here?
- But it keeps people like you from buying it ( she is so lucky I didn't slap her right across the face at this point)
- PEOPLE like me? Can you explain that please ( John is tugging at me to leave now - but it ain't happening buddy )
- Well if people like you come and buy everything then there is nothing left for the less fortunate.
- Listen honey - with prices like this I am part of of the less fortunate - and how dare you speak to me like this? I'm a customer - you have no way of knowing my financial situation - HOW DARE YOU????
And by the way - you do not have to worry about the less fortunate shopping here - they can't afford to -
They're better off at Ikea.
John is dying now - he is not one for confrontation on any level - I am to the other extreme -
She quickly starts calculating something on her portable brain machine - and says
- I can let it go for 660.00 and just so you know Madam we have a 1/2 price off sale several times a year.
- Ok - when is the next one?
ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?
- I am not allowed to tell you that.............company policy Ma'am
and that is the Montreal version of the Sally Ann - unfreakingbelievable!
I've seen dressers there for 600 - 700 dollars, honest to God.
now I know this province is known for corruption but isn't this a little much?
I have picked up deals there - but you have to be almost once in a life time lucky
to do so.
Anyways I am off to the bank tomorrow - I am going to take a loan out so I can get some paint - stick on letters - and maybe a dresser or 2.
(oh and btw - our beef is actually quite reasonably priced, lol.)